View Diary: Man denied service at Louisiana Subway for offense of being Muslim (504 comments)

•  Indian women in this area (19+ / 0-)

have been seen wearing saris and other forms of Indian dress while shopping (Target, Ross, Safeway, etc.).

The owner of two Subway franchises locally is either Pakistani or Indian. I don't know about the owners of the other Subways in the area.

I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage

by woolibaar on Thu Nov 29, 2012 at 01:31:51 PM PST

•  We Indians will do that (10+ / 0-)

And we're damn proud of it.

16, Progressive, Indian-American, Phillies Phan. Obama/Om/Chase Utley

by vidanto on Thu Nov 29, 2012 at 03:57:31 PM PST

•  As you should be (5+ / 0-)

Indian textile designs and garment styles are gorgeous. The day I stop seeing women in saris will be a sad day.

I'm also a big fan of salwar kameez and the decorative headscarves a lot of American Muslim girls wear.

"Let’s just move on, treat everybody with firmness, fairness, dignity, compassion and respect. Let’s be Marines." - Sgt. Maj Michael Barrett on DADT repeal

by kyril on Thu Nov 29, 2012 at 05:10:45 PM PST

•  My fiancée is basing her wedding gown on an (1+ / 0-)
          TrueBlueMajority

Edwardian pattern (because I'm in Highland formal attire, and that fashion pretty much became fixed in the Edwardian era). In this era, wedding gowns weren't white puffballs, but pretty much your best ball gown (Queen Vic's example didn't fully catch on until the 1950s) - which is doubly useful because she attends a lot of formal events with me when I'm hired to pipe.

Gowns of that era often had a solid underdress and a richly embroidered overdress. Since it's almost impossible to find fabric like she wanted in mainstream fabric stores, she went to a sari store and found exactly what she was looking for (and got it half off because of Diwali, and even further discounted because a flaw prevents it from being worn as a sari).

The more Indian textiles we wear and show off, the better.

Non enim propter gloriam, diuicias aut honores pugnamus set propter libertatem solummodo quam Nemo bonus nisi simul cum vita amittit. -Declaration of Arbroath

by Robobagpiper on Fri Nov 30, 2012 at 06:41:42 AM PST

•  I agree about the textiles. (1+ / 0-)
            Robobagpiper

The San Jose Flea Market usually has several fabric sellers who have some absolutely gorgeous sari materials - with gold threads, gorgeous designs and delicate fabric. I've bought a few myself for purposes other than saris.

I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage

by woolibaar on Fri Nov 30, 2012 at 06:46:44 AM PST

•  Sari fabric is especially appropriate for our (0+ / 0-)

purpose, since most silks in Great Britain 100 years ago would have been imported from India anyway, however they ended up being used.

The great thing about buying the flawed ones if you're going to cut it up into a western garment is you help the shopkeep by taking some of their unsalable stock off their hands.

by Robobagpiper on Fri Nov 30, 2012 at 06:51:29 AM PST