View Diary: Study: Greenland, Antarctica shed nearly 5 trillion tons of ice over 20 years (60 comments)

•  You Last Graph Hits Home, Close To Home (15+ / 0-)

This is the view outside my front door, well it was earlier this year before the harvest.

Corn Field (Mascoutah)

That is feed corn. Some bizzare strain from Monsanto that can seem to grow no matter what. Heck it grew well without a lot of rain and a period of time where it was more than 110 for 15 days straight.

It is often really, really hot here in southern Illinois. Over 100. But nobody I can find recalls a stretch of heat like that.

Now there are still a lot of local farms by me. That one in front of my house is owned and farmed by the lady that lives next door to me (around 250 acres).

But many refuse to use Monsanto seed. Heck it could take me 10,000 words or so to explain why, but they in fact might be the most "evil" company in the world.

Long story short, and I wish I would have taken a day to take pictures, those not using hybrid seed had nothing to harvest this year. Or close to nothing.

The fields looked like something out of a "end of the world" movie, or from Ken Burn's new PBS show "Dust Bowl."

I know people here are smarter on this issue then most. MB is a heck of a lot smarter than me. But my gosh folks corn is either in most of what we eat or it is fed to what we eat. We keep going down this path, and I am not even talking about all the other problems climate change causes, but the cost of the soda we buy or the chicken we want for dinner is going to start to increase a heck of a lot.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Thu Nov 29, 2012 at 04:38:14 PM PST

•  Great comment, linked it line my diary because (6+ / 0-)

had read a comment by you  yesterday about this.  You add personal experience and perception to the daunting stats....

Move Single Payer Forward? Join 18,000 Doctors of PNHP and 185,000 member National Nurses United

by divineorder on Thu Nov 29, 2012 at 04:51:00 PM PST

•  Hey Thanks. I've Mentioned This A Few (5+ / 0-)

times the last few days, cause although I know we have more than a few folks here that live in rural areas, I think most are kind of removed from where the food they get comes from.

Now I am not perfect, I still eat meats I get at a supermarket that feeds them gosh knows what. I only get about 60% of my stuff locally, which is just laziness on my part, cause I live in a place I could get anything I wanted.

All the genetically altered crap scares the heck out of me. I just wonder if we have any idea what it is doing to the things we feed it to and then eat.

I mean how this stuff grows just isn't natural. Corn like the size of my forearms, and I have kind of have large forearms. It just isn't natural.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Thu Nov 29, 2012 at 04:58:19 PM PST

•  Genetically Modifed Crops are Like Dog Food (1+ / 0-)
          a2nite

Dog food is sold as food people believe they would want if they were a dog. It's not manufactured with the dog's health in mind. In the old days, dogs would often come across beef pot pies in the wild with healthy portions of carrots and peas. In the case of people, who wouldn't want big, juicy, tasteless corn the size of a forearm!

When will people realize profit is an indicator of inefficiency in some form? It may be personally desirable given our culture, but profit is indicative of either an inefficient reaction to a transient or manipulation within the system.

Either way, stop screwing around and buy more local stuff. :)

•  And yet, if the choice comes between genetically (1+ / 0-)
            mattakar

modified crops and starving, which do you do?

We have reached the point wrt global warming that survival needs to rise up the priority list.  It's too late to moderate our way out of the mess.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 09:41:52 AM PST

•  Have you seen the wild ancestors of our foods? (0+ / 0-)

What we were eating a hundred years ago was thoroughly unnatural.

•  The drought was the only good thing (0+ / 0-)

that happened this year for the koch brothers etc. they are in competition with corn, ethanol specifically. The basic idea is that shale and natural gas will be cheaper and they can run the ethanol refineries out of business.

Not to get too depressing, but we are kind of fucked either way. Fossil fuels fuck up the environment, and corn is unhealthy in processed form, plus it will be too expensive as the climate "evolves".

I am sorry if you don't like my comments. At least I never promised to just put the tip in.

by Marcellus Shale on Thu Nov 29, 2012 at 06:10:09 PM PST

•  Make sure to pull your weeds (1+ / 0-)
      radical simplicity

One of the many reasons to hate Monsanto is because they go after their customers neighbors. Really. If your neighbor is growing Monsanto seeds and some of them blow onto your property and grow, Monsanto might sue you for patent infringement.

i just baptized andrew breitbart into the church of islam, planned parenthood, the girl scouts and three teachers unions. - @blainecapatch

by bobinson on Thu Nov 29, 2012 at 06:23:53 PM PST

•  Monsanto will both likely be part of the cause of (0+ / 0-)

the great food shortages in the future and in position to capitalize on it.

The movie Solylent Green constantly plays out in my mind when thinking of our current environment/corporate/food situation.

Vote Tea Party Taliban! Bring the Burqa to America.

by Pescadero Bill on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 10:02:06 AM PST

•  Yeah, it never was about polar bears (0+ / 0-)

for me.  They are just the canary in the coal mine.  It's about food and being able to sustain human civilization.

Your photos looks like my buddy's hometown of Macomb, Ill.

The future is green: www.greenasteroid.com

by bogmanoc on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 10:36:30 AM PST