View Diary: Ending racism—one person at a time (549 comments)

•  Thanks for this. I am a white guy who has always (5+ / 0-)

considered himself strongly anti-racist. I grew up reading MLK, Dick Gregory, and Ralph Ellison. Most of my favorite musicians are black.  I am always interested in hearing how I can do more to combat racism.

I have been reading Black Kos off and on. I have just set myself to follow it and the other groups you suggested.

I do disagree with you on one point, I think that people of color do have the power to help end racism one person at a time. I know of more than one white person who told me they used to racist until they met people of color that they really liked. Also, I am very sad to say, that I have run into people of color who I had never met before, but were very happy to let me know how much they hated me for being white. I really despise racism no matter where it comes from. Historically whites bear the lion's share of the responsibility for racism, but there are non-whites whose ignorance helps to keep it alive. That also needs to be addressed.

Sorry if any of that offends you, but you wanted a conversation.....

If there is no accountability for those who authorized torture, we can no longer say that we are a nation of laws, not men.

by MikePhoenix on Sun Dec 02, 2012 at 04:25:52 PM PST

•  No offense taken n/t (3+ / 0-)
        MikePhoenix, mamamorgaine, bnasley

If you're in a coalition and you're comfortable, you know it's not a broad enough coalition" Bernice Johnson Reagon

by Denise Oliver Velez on Sun Dec 02, 2012 at 05:14:43 PM PST

•  Uh, I'm a bit offended (5+ / 0-)

Since pointing out poc bigotry is an example of deflection. Poc don't have the institutional power to be truly racist. That doesn't mean poc don't have prejudices -- but we don't have the power to oppress. LET ME KNOW the day when young white men are shot for NO JUSTIFIABLE REASON, and I'll tell you when white racism and privilege has ceased to be a problem.

The civil rights, gay rights and women's movements, designed to allow others to reach for power previously grasped only by white men, have made a real difference, and the outlines of 21st century America have emerged. -- Paul West of LA Times

by LiberalLady on Sun Dec 02, 2012 at 06:26:41 PM PST

•  I must strongly disagree (2+ / 0-)
            Mokurai, filthyLiberalDOTcom

You are over-politicizing and narrowing the definition of racism in a way that is ultimately very counter-productive to combating it.

Suggesting one needs political power or control of a system to exercise racism is so factually wrong I almost don't know where to start, but perhaps my own experience getting my ass kicked by poor, uneducated racist thugs exactly because they felt (and were) politically and economically powerless is one point.

In fact, minority on minority racism is one of the ways we become victims of the system when we fight each other instead of the institutions. My personal experience with Black on Brown on Yellow racism in every combination  (welcome to Oakland, CA) is what persuaded me you have to master yourself before you master others and any "system". As Obama correctly stated in his "Jeremiah White Speech", we have issues and need to talk. We.

And changing that means changing the minds of individuals one by one and I think that is very much what the diarist is suggesting.

You do it in your daily life and it means dealing with what comes when it comes and wherever/whomever it comes from.

Including, I would add,  the sometimes self-imposed limits based on our own perceptions and assumptions about what a so-called white majority thinks, does or would accept.

Got to say, after this election, it becomes more and more important to drop our stereotypical attitudes (we all got 'em) and look at how we can strengthen coalitions based on issues and goals less than groups, because the Big Tent is pretty rainbow colored these days.

What about my Daughter's future?

by koNko on Sun Dec 02, 2012 at 10:46:37 PM PST

•  Another person who is blind to the difference (1+ / 0-)
              koNko

between the words "racism" and "bigotry".

The  thinking is that no poc can be a bigot. That is clearly a falsehood.

And "liberal on liberal" attacks are one way we set ourselves up for defeat.

Send conservatives to FilthyLiberal.com for re-education.

by filthyLiberalDOTcom on Mon Dec 03, 2012 at 07:20:40 AM PST

•  Which is why it's good (1+ / 0-)
                filthyLiberalDOTcom

To have a place like Daily Kos so we can debate these issues amongst ourselves.

Sometimes it's actually easier to discuss racism with unapologetic racists than with Liberals who have difficulty imagining it's a pretty universal problem and comes in many flavors.

Humans are tribal fauna at a very basic level.

What about my Daughter's future?

by koNko on Mon Dec 03, 2012 at 08:12:25 AM PST