View Diary: BREAKING: SCOTUS Will Hear Constitutional Challenge to DOMA! UPDATE: And PROP 8!! (201 comments)

•  Regardless of how the court rules, (26+ / 0-)

John Roberts and his wife are my summer neighbors. I intend to invite them to our wedding in June. After all, it would be a little rude to invite other members of our summer community and not invite them.

Of course, they won't come. But I won't leave them out. I can't wait to run into them at the annual 4th of July party and look them square in the eye over BBQ.

I am gay, and I'm getting married in the Episcopal Church, just like my great-grandmother did.

by commonmass on Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 12:41:42 PM PST

•  Dang, you connected (11+ / 0-)

Closest I get to a Judge is liking Judge Judy's facebook page.

"Too often we excuse those who are willing to build their own lives on the shattered dreams of others" Robert F. Kennedy

by realwischeese on Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 12:48:39 PM PST

•  My goodness (9+ / 0-)

Actually, wouldn't put it past him to attend somehow.

Hay hombres que luchan un dia, y son buenos Hay otros que luchan un año, y son mejores Hay quienes luchan muchos años, y son muy buenos. Pero hay los que luchan toda la vida. Esos son los imprescendibles.

by Mindful Nature on Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 12:52:58 PM PST

•  Well, it's at the Episcopal Cathedral (12+ / 0-)

in Portland, Maine and you know the motto you see on all of those signs when you enter a town telling you where the Episcopal church is: "The Episcopal Church Welcomes You".

Plus, he should feel right at home: the Episcopal Church used to be called "The Republican Party at Prayer".

LOL.

by commonmass on Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 12:54:57 PM PST

•  the episcopal church (5+ / 0-)

near me in oakland california flies the rainbow flag. would that other houses of worship be so unfailingly welcoming and -- dare i say -- christlike.

my very best regards to you both -- still beaming that maine (finally!) got marriage equality right.

and please give portland a big ol' virtual hug from me.

i got to make my way back to maine in early october (first trip back since my grandmother passed 4 years ago), and had the chance -- long overdue -- to reconnect with friends i'd not seen in years and prowl around portland starting from the old port and ending our trek across town at blackstone's.

my spouse, who's from missouri, hadn't previously set foot anywhere in new england (and we've been together 10 years! did i mention: "long overdue"? :P). such a lovely day. the bay area kicks ass, but i miss portland often.

"i hear you're mad about brubeck ... i like your eyes. i like him too." -donald fagen

by homo neurotic on Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 01:19:07 PM PST

•  More Presidents have been Episcopalian... (3+ / 0-)
          Rolfyboy6, jpmassar, commonmass

...than any other sect of Christianity, though a few were only nominally religious (e.g. Jefferson).

"Lesbian and gay people are a permanent part of the American workforce, who currently have no protection from the arbitrary abuse of their rights on the job." --Coretta Scott King

by craigkg on Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 01:47:02 PM PST

•  Yes, but it's delicious how Anglicanism (3+ / 0-)
            sfbob, craigkg, jpmassar

came "back" to the United States after the War of Independence:

Having cut ties with England, and necessarily, with its state church, Anglicans in the US (mostly in the South but a few in New England and New York, etc) looked to forming a new Church which would be Anglican in theology and Episcopal in polity. (Most of the priests and all of the Bishops fled during the Revolution either back to England or to what we now call Canada). How did they do it? They invited a SCOTTISH BISHOP to consecrate the first Bishops in the Episcopal Church in the United States, thus preserving a kind of Historic Episcopacy and they created a church which is now a province of the worldwide Anglican Communion which is governed much like we are in our secular lives: an elected Primate (Presiding Bishop), and a bicameral legislature (House of Deputies, House of Bishops) and a Canon Law which belies its roots in the Church of England but more importantly, its roots in the founding of this nation.

by commonmass on Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 02:08:57 PM PST

•  Yes, and Seabury's consecration (2+ / 0-)
              jpmassar, commonmass

freaked the living daylights out of the Anglican Church to the extent they decided refusing to consecrate American bishops would lead to an erosion of their own authority (or more specifically the authority of the Archbishops of Canterbury and York and the Supreme Head of the Anglican Church, His Majesty) and promptly agreed to consecrate two subsequent American bishops-elect presented to them. The Archbishop of Canterbury, Archbishop of York and the Bishop of Bath consecrated the second and third American bishops and three other English bishops consecrated a fourth, giving the American church enough duly vested bishops to consecrate our own with three necessary for the laying on of the hands for consecration.

by craigkg on Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 02:25:37 PM PST

•  Yes, but the real morsel is here: (2+ / 0-)
                craigkg, jpmassar