View Diary: CNN Losing Bradley Manning Story: Manning Was Reporting a War Crime, "The Van Thing" (286 comments)

•  Are you a US citizen? (0+ / 0-)

then, yes, there sure are bases for US jurisdiction over you internationally.

And if we leave the military to the "experts" we'll end up with the Lord of the Flies.

Be professional, or go home.  This attitude is a disgrace to the country, and has a lot to explain why our wars go so poorly.

Hay hombres que luchan un dia, y son buenos Hay otros que luchan un año, y son mejores Hay quienes luchan muchos años, y son muy buenos. Pero hay los que luchan toda la vida. Esos son los imprescendibles.

by Mindful Nature on Fri Nov 30, 2012 at 09:26:35 PM PST

•  once again (0+ / 0-)

you display basic ignorance of US law.

If I go to a foreign country and commit a crime in that country that involves no other US citizen or the property of a US citizen I cannot be tried for that crime in US court.  I can be extradited  to that country for trial but no US court has jurisdiction over crimes committed in foreign lands....with one exception - a MILITARY COURT - which has world wide jurisdiction over military personnel.

Here is a great example for you - Bhopal.

Had this occurred on US soil the people involved would have been looking at a LOT of time.  But it didnt and the victims had no recourse in US criminal court.

It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it. Robert E. Lee

by ksuwildkat on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 02:14:23 PM PST

•  YOu aren't a lawyer (0+ / 0-)

so by all means, rely on wikipedia as you r authority.

Hilarious.

by Mindful Nature on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 06:58:26 PM PST

•  really? (0+ / 0-)

you are so ignorant of basic law.

Please, show me some other authoritative document that shows a US person being tried in US court for a crime committed in a foreign country.

You can mock wikipedia but it doesn't change that you know nothing of the law.

Come on smart guy, PROVE ME WRONG.

by ksuwildkat on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 07:20:28 PM PST

•  Funny (0+ / 0-)

I am a lawyer.  I love being told how I don't understand basic law by people who have never passed a bar anywhere. Amusing.

Ill direct you first to The ATS that shows clearly that Congress can authorize jurisdiction in US courts for foreign acts.  And of course as you yourself pointed out, US court try members of the military who commit crimes in foreign territory. The espionage acts and piracy are similar examples.  There are no inherent limits to US jurisdiction, just because Congress hasn't exercised those authorities.

Got more fish for my rain barrel?

by Mindful Nature on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 08:12:18 PM PST

•  I weep (0+ / 0-)

for your law school and your clients

You cite MILITARY courts having jurisdiction over military personnel yet your original argument was that there should just be civilian courts.  Nice try but you made my point.

Espionage is a crime against the US Government and therefore does not fall under the category of a US person committing a crime outside of the US with no US nexus.  Again, nice try but no blue ribbon.

Piracy falls under Admiralty Law which is a very strange mix of military law and international Law of the Sea.  Ill grant that under some very very specific circumstances a US person who commits piracy in international waters and is subsequently captured or extradited could be tried under Admiralty Law in the US.

I truly hope you don't ever defend a military client in an espionage case, which happens to be my specialty.

by ksuwildkat on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 08:52:20 PM PST

•  Yes. US military (0+ / 0-)

Which shows US sovereign jurisdiction.  It is stil Congress authorizing jurisdiction.  Te fact that it is housed in a particular kind of court is immaterial.  Maybe if youd studied law, youd understand that. Period full stop

You are raising series of false distinctions none of which show that the US is incapable of asserting jurisdiction extraterritorially.  Also, you may recall various trials of the USS Cole bombers whom the option of trying in civilian courts was a distinct possibility.

And I drive a 1998 Subaru. Guess being a lawyer isn't as lucrative as being a corrupt member of our ridiculously bloated gold played military.

by Mindful Nature on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 09:10:55 PM PST

•  hmmmm.... (0+ / 0-)

I happen to know a lot about the Cole investigation.  let me check my notes on the number of US persons involved.....right...NONE.

And at the end of it all you accuse me of being corrupt.  As a lawyer I am sure you understand libel.  Might want to think of that one.

by ksuwildkat on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 09:55:34 PM PST

•  oh (0+ / 0-)

and you still failed to show me an authoritative document.

I fired up my Lexus-nexus, how about you.........

by ksuwildkat on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 08:55:32 PM PST

•  Try the US Constituion (0+ / 0-)

You may have heard of it

by Mindful Nature on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 09:11:25 PM PST

•  you know better than that (0+ / 0-)

give me a citation
                  give me the case law
                  oh, wait, it doesnt exist

by ksuwildkat on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 09:47:08 PM PST