View Diary: Bo and the White House Christmas decorations (101 comments)

•  So cute! Thanks. If that had (30+ / 0-)

been any cat of mine, however, everything would have been down on the floor, broken! Happy holidays to all and their pets.

•  They must really trust Bo -- and I'm sure he's (4+ / 0-)

incredibly well-trained. I worried about my dog chewing stuff at my house . . . imagine the concern if a dog chewed the wrong thing at The White House!

I am simple, complex, generous, selfish, unattractive, beautiful, lazy, and driven. ~Barbra Streisand

by GreenMtnState on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 03:39:56 PM PST

•  My dog Tucker would pull down the (4+ / 0-)

ornaments off the tree every year. We'd come home and there'd be broken ornaments all over the floor. We took to decorating the top half of the tree and leaving the bottom half with just the lights. LOL.

No tree or decorations this year. I do miss that tradition, though. This is my favorite time of the year.

Maybe next year.

Happy holidays to you, cany, and all my kos friends. :-)

"The most American thing you can do is to stand up for the dignity of someone else."

by marabout40 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 03:55:40 PM PST

•  We decorate the way we do (4+ / 0-)

because we live with pooties.

Heavier, less-breakable ornaments go toward the bottom. The really important ones, like our collection of annual Swarovski stars (one for each Yule we have spent together in our home), the lovely glass ornaments, etc. all go on or near the top. On the very bottom: lovely golden bells, brass ones with clappers, hung around the underside of the tree so that any cat who thinks to do some feline marauding is stopped in his or her tracks when he brushes against a bell - or more than one - and the sound startles him, alerts us, and ensures we can go in quickly and take away anything the cat might potentially have knocked down.

We have two nw pooties this year, in addition to Tom, who's been here since he was 7 weeks old. The two new girls, Daenerys (Dany) and Vyonne, will learn.

Organ donors save lives! A donor's kidney gave me my life back on 02/18/11; he lives on in me. Please talk with your family about your wish to donate.

Why are war casualty counts "American troops" and "others" but never "human beings"?

by Kitsap River on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 04:17:20 PM PST

•  Is Daenerys named after the heroine, (1+ / 0-)
        FindingMyVoice

The Mother of Dragons, in the Fire and Ice series? In any case, am sure the two one will learn and bring you much joy.

•  The very same (1+ / 0-)
          Portlaw

For several reasons, one of which is that Daenerys Stormborn is a great name for a puss the color of a thunderhead. She was an owner surrender due to the owner's ill health, so another reason she is so named is that she lost her first love quite young (she's about 2 1/2 now). And Vyonne is named after a D&D character of mine, a drow assassin.

by Kitsap River on Sun Dec 02, 2012 at 04:12:24 PM PST

•  The bells are a GREAT idea:) I'm stealing that! (2+ / 0-)
        FindingMyVoice, Kitsap River

though with all the animals here, the thing will sound like a 24 hour/day church, I fear, but at least I will know when something is going on BEFORE the tree falls over:)

202-224-3121 to Congress in D.C. USE it! You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage them. "We're not perfect, but they're nuts."--Barney Frank 01/02/2012

by cany on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 06:17:36 PM PST

•  Feel free! (1+ / 0-)
          BlackSheep1

You may be surprised by how quiet it is once the newness has worn off, especially if every time a bell souds, the human shows up to stop the fun.

It works well with puppies, too, though anybody letting an actual young puppy be unsupervised loose in the house is, IMHO, asking for it. I've generally taught pups that they want to be near me during housetraining, so they've gotten that reinforced really thoroughly by the time they're fully housetrained. My method (I developed this independently) involves keeoing them next to me 24/7, on a lead tied to my waist when I'm awake and in a crate against the side of the bed on my side, right next to my head, when I'm not, so that I wake up when the puppy does and take him or her outside immediately. I've done it while working, but it involves a puppy pen when I'm not home and takes a little bit longer.

by Kitsap River on Sun Dec 02, 2012 at 04:35:21 PM PST

•  hilarious video circulated in my family (1+ / 0-)
      BlackSheep1

over Thanksgiving -- we're an even blend of cat, dog, and cat+dog households :)

Happy Holidays to you, too!

Cat-friend vs Dog-friend

Comfort the afflicted. Afflict the comfortable.

by FindingMyVoice on Sun Dec 02, 2012 at 08:49:00 AM PST