View Diary: On Raising Human Beings (38 comments)

•  Thank you! (7+ / 0-)

And you're very welcome.

"Do it in the name of Heaven; you can justify it in the end..." - Dennis Lambert & Brian Potter

by pragmaticidealist on Mon Dec 03, 2012 at 08:31:47 AM PST

•  pragmaticidealist - great diary! (4+ / 0-)

I hope people will REC it up.

I grew up in a lower middle class white family in a very white neighborhood. I had one black in my public high school who was an amazing track athlete and a hero at the school. We had some Hispanics, but I don't think they were 10% of the student population. However, my parents like yours brought us up with a view that anything that was at all racist was not tolerated and that everyone deserved respect. Even though I went to public college and graduate school I didn't really have much exposure to blacks until I showed up at Fort Benning Georgia to start a very educational period of my life in the US Army.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Mon Dec 03, 2012 at 09:22:31 AM PST

•  My high school was so white... (5+ / 0-)

But, really -- your measurable Hispanic population and one African American is the UN compared to my school. We had (that I recall) one Japanese-American family, and one Korean War orphan adoptee, and after that the most exotic we got in a school of about 1350 students was the kid whose grandparents had come from Armenia and could still speak the language.

My university (in cosmopolitan Missouri) was very nearly as white, but it wasn't by design -- they gave me money, so I went there. Still, my folks had done such a good job that when I arrived in Boston for my graduate work it felt like coming home! It's taken me a long time to really begin to appreciate just how extraordinary my oh-so-normal parents really were.

Still -- from homogeneous high school to homogeneous college to Fort Benning?!? That's culture shock! Glad you made it through.

by pragmaticidealist on Mon Dec 03, 2012 at 01:37:17 PM PST

•  There were lots of interesting and at times (1+ / 0-)
            pragmaticidealist

humorous experiences in basic training. I was the only one in my platoon who was a college graduate and the only one in my company who had a graduate degree. All the drill sergeants were black although my platoon leader and company commander were white. The make up of my platoon was very ethnically mixed. My drill sergeant was an inspiring professional soldier and he picked me to be the platoon guide (student leader) which was a satisfying management opportunity for me. We developed a great working relationship and the role had the heavenly perk of a private room in the barracks across the hall from my drill sergeant. Virtually everyone in the platoon was going to Vietnam, so this was serious business. I got along really well with all the other drill sergeants who started calling me "professor", in an admirable way. It made my drill sergeant crazy when they did it, but it never impacted our relationship.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Mon Dec 03, 2012 at 02:09:58 PM PST

•  Sounds like an interesting time, indeed (1+ / 0-)
              VClib

Have you considered writing a diary about your experiences? It sounds like it could be a great mix of story and lesson, rolled up into a deceptively digestible, nourishing package.

(Hmmm. Can you tell that I'm smelling dinner cooking?)

by pragmaticidealist on Mon Dec 03, 2012 at 02:25:56 PM PST

•  I have been invited a few times to write (1+ / 0-)
                pragmaticidealist

for the veterans group here about my time in the service. Unfortunately, writing about my time in the US Army will lead to questions about what I did and I can't write about much beyond basic training.

"let's talk about that"