View Diary: Gun Control ← There, said it - We are going about this the wrong way (619 comments)

•  Tsk tsk, if we start gettin' into the old (6+ / 0-)

sportbike vs. HD pie fights, and who's a better rider, it will quickly get uglier than the worst IP or RKBA pie fight. :-p

"Bernie Madoff's mistake was stealing from the rich. If he'd stolen from the poor he'd have a cabinet position." -OPOL

by blue in NC on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 09:51:54 AM PST

•  BMW R90/6 tyvm n/t (3+ / 0-)
      meagert, blue in NC, twigg
      •  OMG, throw the Beemer guys in their (2+ / 0-)
        twigg, 43north

Aerostich suits into the mix, and there'll be no end to the pie fights. :-O

by blue in NC on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 12:11:35 PM PST

•  One of the most common bikes (3+ / 0-)
          43north, blue in NC, PavePusher

to wear a car tire on the rear is the Yamaha FJ1300.

That is not an "old man's" bike :)

You should google the Gold Wings on Car tires at Laguna Seca .... That is one awesome video.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
          but I fear we will remain Democrats.

by twigg on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 12:39:30 PM PST

•  FJ=FJR, sorry. (1+ / 0-)
            PavePusher

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
            but I fear we will remain Democrats.

by twigg on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 12:40:07 PM PST

•  I'm VERY familiar with the FJR! In fact, (2+ / 0-)
            happy camper, PavePusher

I once considered buying one. But as awesome as its handling is - as far as I'm concerned, it is a full-fledged sportbike - it's still a very big bike, and I decided to stick with my old-school 600's. I do a lot of short around-town riding, and a guy whose opinion I respect greatly went from a YZF600R to a FJR1300, and then after not too long with the FJR sold it and went to an FZ1. He loved the FJR, but he felt that it was just too much sheer bulk for everyday use.

Now, as for "old man's bikes": essentially, I am an old man. As my niece once said to a friend (overheard by my sister), "My uncle rides a motorcycle, and he's almost sixty!

Gee, thanks a lot, kid. :-( I do have a year or two to go.

by blue in NC on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 01:57:47 PM PST

•  Found it :) (2+ / 0-)
          blue in NC, happy camper

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
          but I fear we will remain Democrats.

by twigg on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 01:30:23 PM PST

•  There's a guy who used to ride a bright (2+ / 0-)
            twigg, PavePusher

yellow Goldwing around the Deal's Gap TN/NC area ("318 turns in 11 miles"); his offer was that he'd follow a sportbiker and film him, and if he couldn't keep up with the sportbike he'd give the video to the rider for free. Legend has it that he never gave a video away. I don't think he was Darksiding, but I learned never to underestimate a Goldwing.

Having said that, I have serious issues with all of that sort of thing on public streets, even a "destination" spot like Deal's Gap. Frankly, it pisses me off. Streets are for transportation, period. They belong to everybody, not just irresponsible and self-indulgent motoprcycle riders.

Mad props to the guys in your video for doing their thing where they should be doing it: a track. :-)

by blue in NC on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 02:08:08 PM PST

•  It's awesome :) (3+ / 0-)
              blue in NC, KVoimakas, PavePusher

I have seen other video with cameras mounted under the bike.

It's remarkable how supple those tire are. They conform to the road very nicely, and for regular road-riding they offer significant advantages.

The are cheap, they have prodigious grip, especially in the wet. They reduce braking distances and they last forever.

It's not for everyone (and not for me 'cos I can't get one that will fit my rim and clear the swinging arm).

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
              but I fear we will remain Democrats.

by twigg on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 02:28:42 PM PST