View Diary: Gun Control ← There, said it - We are going about this the wrong way (619 comments)

•  Here's my two cents towards a possible (4+ / 0-)

policy.

End concealed carry.  Make it an automatic 5 year prison sentence for carrying a concealed weapon--10 years if used in another crime.

Open carry would still be legal.

As best I can tell, is only one reason to carry a concealed weapon...so that other people don't know you have one.

There are only two motivations for not wanting other people to know you are armed

1) You do not want to face the social scorn or ambivalence of other people who disapprove of carrying a weapon.

2) You plan on doing something illegal.  That something might be drinking in a bar while carrying, going onto private property that prohibits weapons, or it might be robbing someone, or killing someone.

As to the first motivation, I have one simple answer...if you can't handle the social censure, then leave your gun at home.  If you are embarrassed when other people know your beliefs, perhaps you should question your beliefs.

So there it is, The supremes have ruled that people have a right to bear arms, but they have never said that people have a right to conceal the weapons they bear.

Concealed weapon...5 years in prison.

"Empty vessels make the loudest sound, they have the least wit and are the greatest blabbers" Plato

by Empty Vessel on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 10:00:47 AM PST

•  John Lennon: alive today if he'd been armed? (0+ / 0-)

I think his chances would have been better if his killer had been forced to approach him on a NYC street carrying a rifle.

Gun advocates argue for the deterrent effect of not knowing who's armed and who isn't. Perhaps this does deter armed robbery where concealed-carry is prevalent... but I doubt that it has any effect on murder.

Many unarmed innocents are killed because the shooter "thought they saw a gun".

Long arms are appropriate for defense of home and business. Modern materials make them light enough for the ladies to handle.

I'm willing to go ahead and ban the private ownership of concealable firearms.

We can still carry mace, concealed or otherwise.

Have you noticed?
      Politicians who promise LESS government
      only deliver BAD government.

by jjohnjj on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 10:43:16 AM PST

•  Hey, if you want to help me make open (5+ / 0-)

carry as socially acceptable as wearing a shirt out in public, I'm all for it. I conceal carry because certain people think that MAN WITH A GUN is always a bad guy and I don't have time to deal with the police every time I go out in public.

Open carry is so much more comfortable than concealed.

I'm not embarrassed by people who don't agree with me. Their loss. I'm annoyed by people pestering me and calling the cops.

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 11:29:39 AM PST

•  Another devilish detail... (3+ / 0-)
        KVoimakas, 43north, PavePusher

Once everybody got used to open carry, we would still have the problem of sorting the rare person about to open fire from the benign background of everybody else just going about their business armed.

There's a college campus (U of Utah) about 3 blocks from my house where, as in all college campuses in Utah, concealed carry is allowed. I'm a lot more wary of people using longboards for transportation than of anything else on that campus. It's in the Wasatch foothills and has a few hundred feet of elevation change and those riders are fast movers. One can hear them coming but not necessarily know just which way to jump, lol.

Moderation in most things.

by billmosby on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 11:58:56 AM PST

•  Students+Beer+Guns (1+ / 0-)
          Empty Vessel

not a good mix.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
          but I fear we will remain Democrats.

by twigg on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 12:19:13 PM PST

•  They do have to abide by the usual concealed (2+ / 0-)
            rockhound, 43north

carry laws; for one thing, be 21 or older. So the usual beer-swilling adolescent image doesn't fully apply, as much as one might like to dwell on the Bluto with a Bazooka image. There's much more to fear from those with mental illnesses than the usual student.

I always feel safer on that campus than I do at Trolley Square, even though it's been what, 5 years since the mayhem there. Once in a while that incident crosses my mind while I'm working out at the potential basement abattoir that is the  24 Hr Fitness Center at Trolley corners across the street. Luckily if anybody was carrying anything at that place you'd see it. lol. But there's only an elevator and a long, straight stairway up and out of the place. Both Trolley Square and Trolley Corners are "gun free" zones.

Moderation in most things.

by billmosby on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 12:59:00 PM PST

•  Neither are keyboards and tautology. n/t (0+ / 0-)
    •  NY State requires all handguns under Permit (2+ / 0-)
      oldpunk, PavePusher

to remain concealed.  Showing a gun is menacing, and will get your permit revoked, and perhaps you arrested.

Now if the wind blows and your jacket flashes your holster to someone?  You'll likely be stopped and interrogated by the police, who may - if they have a hand on their hat - see the reasonable circumstances and give you only an admonishment.

This has been the law since the Tammany Hall days - 9 decades ago.  No NRA, no ALEC, just the Tammany Hall Democrats working The Machine.