View Diary: Top Comments: Seasonal Series I (84 comments)

•  The house with too many lights (15+ / 0-)

reminds me of a house back in PA that decorates excessively every year and then synchronizes the elaborate light displays to music (they own a radio station). It's quite the local attraction. How they're able to stand lines of cars shining headlights into their windows at night, I have no idea.

Homosexuality is found in over 450 species. Homophobia is found in only one. Which one seems unnatural now?

by Chrislove on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 07:10:36 PM PST

•  We got stuck in the traffic tonite... (12+ / 0-)

trying to get home from K1's Swim Team Banquet. Half dozen cars all stopped in the road, taking pictures. I think the damned house should pay a detail officer for a month.

"But hate wears you down, and does not hurt your enemy. It is like taking poison and wishing your enemy would die." - - Cherokee saying

by brillig on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 07:13:29 PM PST

•  In the neighborhood where I grew up (7+ / 0-)

in Baltimore, there was a house around the corner from us that would go all out with decorations.  The father of the family who lived there made a lot of the decorations himself, including the cut-out sleight and 8 reindeer (plus Rudolph) that spent all year attached to the roof.  (My grandmother, whose backyard faced the backyard of that house once joked how she commented to a neighbor one day that it was so foggy, she couldn't even see Santy Claus on the roof!)  He also devised animated wood cut-outs of Peanuts characters (Charlie Brown, Snoopy, Linus and Lucy) for the front lawn.  In retrospect, I suppose he could have been in violation of trademark laws, though as far as I know, he never made any money off of his display.

It was very imaginative, and quite a sight to see, though the traffic that came through the neighborhood just to see that house was a pain.  There was no competition, though.  I'm sure somebody could put up more lights, but there were displays you could see nowhere else at that house.  When the matriarch of that family passed away a decade or so ago, they finally brought the tradition to a close.

-5.13,-5.64; If you gave [Jerry Falwell] an enema, you could bury him in a matchbox. -- Christopher Hitchens

by gizmo59 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 07:56:18 PM PST

•  Christmas Tree Lane (7+ / 0-)

in Palo Alto has some very elaborate decorations. Every house on the block gets a small tree that's decorated with lights, and the city replaces the bulbs in the streetlights with pink bulbs to provide a more muted light; tradition is for drivers to turn off their headlights when driving on the street.

One of my favorite though is on a two-story house that looks a lot like an old fashioned house, complete with ivy. The house has cutouts of Santa's elves that look like they're climbing all over the house, peeking in the upper windows, and such. If I can get a picture I'll post it later. The cutouts stay with the house and are passed on from owner to owner; the buyers have to promise to put them up every year. (Houses on that street are in huge demand -- it's in an older and very pricy section of town -- so it's usually no problem.)

"If we ever needed to vote we sure do need to vote now" -- Rev. William Barber, NAACP

by Cali Scribe on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 08:19:35 PM PST

•  Peacock Lane in Portland. (3+ / 0-)
          blueoregon, Arenosa, brillig

I hear that if a house on that street sells, the new owner is obligated to join in.  My daughter says it's interesting to see - once.  I used to live in walking distance, and I've never been.

Strength and dignity are her clothing, she rejoices at the days to come; She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the law of kindness is on her tongue.

by loggersbrat on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 09:24:29 PM PST

•  We've been, once, but it doesn't compare (2+ / 0-)
            loggersbrat, brillig

to a neighborhood in Tucson that I recall from my childhood. I don't remember the name, but just for sheer size it had Peacock Lane beat.

"The American people are so used to being told they have freedom and democracy that they've forgotten to check to see if it's still true.." -Commenter on Facebook

by Arenosa on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 11:37:03 PM PST

•  Alameda has a xmas tree lane (2+ / 0-)
          Arenosa, brillig

"Let us never forget that doing the impossible is the history of this nation....It's how we are as Americans...It's how this country was built"- Michelle Obama

by blueoregon on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 09:37:13 PM PST