View Diary: Concealed Carry and Irrational Fear (127 comments)

•  I'm going to make an assumption (3+ / 0-)

that an AED is way bulkier and heavier than my 1911.

I'm not talking about others. But if they're inexpensive enough, I'd get one.

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 02:13:29 PM PST

•  a bit bulkier, but about the same weight. (0+ / 0-)

"Empty vessels make the loudest sound, they have the least wit and are the greatest blabbers" Plato

by Empty Vessel on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 02:14:55 PM PST

•  If more people carried AEDs, more lives could (2+ / 0-)
      KVoimakas, happymisanthropy

be saved.

average cost: $2300

a bit pricey for most of us

WE NEVER FORGET Our Labor Martyrs: a project to honor the men, women and children who lost their lives in Freedom's Cause. For Nov: Lives lost trying to earn a living.

by JayRaye on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 02:32:19 PM PST

•  Refurbished about $700 (1+ / 0-)
        KVoimakas

new, about $1200

Meanwhile, KV's handgun M1911 (don't know make), per wikipedia.

Price ranges from a low end of around $400 for an imported Armscor/Rock Island model to more than $4,000 for the best competition or tactical models from such as those by Dan Wesson, Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Les Baer, Nighthawk Custom, and STI International.[19]

by Empty Vessel on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 02:43:12 PM PST

•  Sorry, forgot wiki link (1+ / 0-)
          KVoimakas

by Empty Vessel on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 02:44:43 PM PST

•  I picked up both of mine for $650. (2+ / 0-)
          Empty Vessel, rockhound

Springfield Loaded model. I won't buy one of the 'high end' ones. Mine suffice.

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 02:45:17 PM PST

•  So about the same price as a refurb AED (0+ / 0-)

and the gun is less likely to save anyones life.

by Empty Vessel on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 02:53:25 PM PST

•  My Lady Smith has saved me assault on (3+ / 0-)

more than one occasions.

I am a woman who goes where ever she wants whenever she wants to go there. A free American Citizen. Same as any man. I will defend my freedom as needed.

And that includes traveling across the country by myself and into the wilderness alone.

But the inner city streets at night are where I need my Lady Smith the most. When I'm out alone at night, best to leave me the fuck alone.

by JayRaye on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 03:13:57 PM PST

•  You are more likely, by 50 times, to die of a (1+ / 0-)
                sagesource

heart attack than from violent crime.  You are equally likely to have a heart attack (and maybe die or not) as you are to be a victim of violent crime. Yet you do not carry a AED, which costs about the same as your Lady Smith.

Cabelas
                Smith & Wesson® Model 642LS Lady Smith® Revolvers
                Regular Price: $649.99 - $729.99
                Sale Price: $449.99 - $729.99

Carry your gun, just don't try to claim its for rational reasons.

by Empty Vessel on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 03:20:41 PM PST

•  I've never had a heart attack. (2+ / 0-)
                  gfv6800, Wordsinthewind

But I have already prevented an attack using my gun on more than one occasion.

Here is an example.

This is walking home from the bus stop after work. Happened in broad daylight.

Man tailed me for several blocks. Finally got out and started towards me, "You're coming with me, Bitch."

I said, "Get the fuck away from me." Pointed my gun straight at the target and took a stance. He ran back to his car.

Went home called the police (had the license plate number).

Two squads were there in less than 30 seconds. At that time I was openly carrying. They said, "If you see him again, shoot him. We will get this guy." Turns out they knew who he was, and he was dangerous.

by JayRaye on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 04:31:41 PM PST

•  And thus we move into (0+ / 0-)

Personal anecdote time.  When people are losing on facts, they switch to anecdote.  Care to deal with the numbers instead?  You were happy to crap on AEDs when you thought they were $2000+, but suddenly you changed gears and use a different argument when you find out they cost about the same as your Lady Smith...it's like  you already know the answer and are searching for a reason.

by Empty Vessel on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 04:37:28 PM PST

•  Oddly enough, anecdotal evidence is often (3+ / 0-)
                      JayRaye, Wordsinthewind, rockhound

used in court.

As evidence by an eyewitness.

I give much more weight to reasoned argument than to "I saw it so it must be true" claims, but I also don't generally dismiss entirely reasonable first-hand accounts with no more than a sneer.

•  You lost the argument. Admit it. (0+ / 0-)

She beat you, anecdote or not. Now you are resorting to belittling her experience. Poor form.

Send conservatives to FilthyLiberal.com for re-education.

by filthyLiberalDOTcom on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 07:04:47 PM PST

•  Why don't you just call her a liar? (0+ / 0-)

Send conservatives to FilthyLiberal.com for re-education.

by filthyLiberalDOTcom on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 07:07:26 PM PST

•  Christ (0+ / 0-)

Ok, let me play.  I was once harassed by a neighbor when he brandished a gun cause he didn't like that I complained about a dog barking...thus guns and people who carry the. Are bad.

Now, I never said that, cause it is a stupid argument. It's stupid cause I took a singular personal experience and applied it to an entire group.

I've seem what how pro-gun folks respond to that sort of argument in their diaries.  They call out the bullshit. They scream about anecdotal evidence...and they are right.

So...really I never said she lied, or belittled it.  I said it was anecdotal, and not relevant to the question as to whether someone is fifty times more likely to die from a heart attack.

Admit, you lost...cause you know damn well what an anecdotal argument is, and you just don't care cause you support gun rights.

by Empty Vessel on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 08:03:29 PM PST

•  You want to call her a liar. You know that. (0+ / 0-)

Send conservatives to FilthyLiberal.com for re-education.

by filthyLiberalDOTcom on Wed Dec 05, 2012 at 05:53:17 AM PST

•  And I will add, I did not "lose" anything. I (0+ / 0-)

simply made an accusation. You can deny it all you want, but to claim I "lost" anything, well, that's not applicable. You can say I'm wrong, and leave it at that because in truth, both of us have an opinion on her story.

I think your opinion is driven by emotions, not logic. Now you can claim I'm doing the same if you like. So let's say SHE is LYING. But what about the hundreds of thousands of others? These incidents are well document. Are they all lying? Do they all need a religious level of belief?

And yes. I do support SANE gun owners rights. SANE and RESPONSIBLE gun owners. Like the woman you would like to gleefully belittle. You have, in that sentence, attempted to belittle me by accusing me of "not caring".

In fact that final accusation, that I "just don't care cause you support gun rights." reeks of emotional distress. I consider that comment of little merit. By the way, I also believe in registering guns and gun owners and I believe we need to do an intense rework of gun laws in this country. I hate the NRA and I am not a member and never will be. I clearly do care. You are free to call me a liar if you like, or infer it. I don't care.

But to imagine a happy pollyana world where women don't get raped and weaker people are never preyed upon by stronger people, that's almost criminally stupid.

I'll leave it at that. Don't expect another reply, so feel free to slam me all you want.

Send conservatives to FilthyLiberal.com for re-education.

by filthyLiberalDOTcom on Wed Dec 05, 2012 at 07:49:39 AM PST

•  Your reply does not change her reality. (0+ / 0-)

Send conservatives to FilthyLiberal.com for re-education.

by filthyLiberalDOTcom on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 07:03:28 PM PST

•  One day..... (0+ / 0-)

.....some thief or mugger will make a few bucks selling that toy of yours in a bar somewhere. I just hope you'll be still alive at that point. Your cowboy fantasies are dangerous to your health.

"They smash your face in, and say you were always ugly." (Solzhenitsyn)

by sagesource on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 04:07:44 PM PST