View Diary: Updated: Democrats win New York State Senate - Republicans get Majority (127 comments)

•  No surprise (8+ / 0-)

We got rid of a few of these vermin awhile back (Monserrate and Espada). Simcha Felder probably doesn't match those two for sheer thuggish sleaze, but he will be just as much of a destructive, obstructionist pain the state's ass.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE: That's why we pay taxes. I Had A Thought

by mole333 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 11:39:50 AM PST

•  Monserrate, Espada and Kruger - gone (7+ / 0-)

Diaz still to go. Felder not starting out too good. And then you have the 4 original IDC members who have reasons for being unhappy with Senate Democrats and have some solid credentials under them but completely tarnish their own claims to the high ground by undermining the will of the people by handing power over the the Republicans... again.

And then you have Malcolm Smith who decides to join the IDC in a play to get the Republican backing in the upcoming NYC Mayor's race.

"Do what you can with what you have where you are." - Teddy Roosevelt

by Andrew C White on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 11:48:06 AM PST

•  You think that's the reason behind (2+ / 0-)
        Andrew C White, Mannie

that scumbag Smith? I hadn't thought about that. When I heard that this morning, I swear the bile in my stomach actually started to rise.  Does he represent an actual district or anyone who isn't named Smith?

He's going nowhere.  What a choad.

•  That's the word I am hearing (3+ / 0-)
          Mannie, mightymouse, sidnora

he is trying to work all the GOP chairs in NYC for their endorsement. Bloomberg switched from Democrat to Republicans for the same reason. Smith hasn't switched his enrollment but it would mean he wouldn't have to compete in a very crowded Democratic primary field.

"Do what you can with what you have where you are." - Teddy Roosevelt

by Andrew C White on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 11:58:34 AM PST

•  Smith Is Making The Same Mistake Artur Davis Made. (2+ / 0-)
            Andrew C White, milkbone

Aligning himself w/ RepubliKlans will only ensure his political demise. Smith will never be able to get the same overwhelming support from White New Yorkers that Bloomberg rode to 3 terms, and people of color have no stomach for RepubliKlans - no matter their ethnicity.

This type of tom-foolery will certainly come back to bite Smith in his ass. I guess his moment in the sun as the first African-American NYS Senate Majority Leader and President gave him a taste of power that has driven him mad. Not quite as mad as Artus Davis currently is. At least, not yet...

I am not now, nor have I ever been, a member of the Republican Party.

by OnlyWords on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 01:10:04 PM PST

•  I guess Smith didn't notice (0+ / 0-)

how much Bloomberg spent on his three campaigns.

by sidnora on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 08:49:30 PM PST

•  Forgot Kruger (4+ / 0-)

Still can't believe that fanatic Diaz is still around, but I guess give him some credit...he doesn't seem to be the same level of violent thug as Monserrate and Espada. In that way he may be a soulmate of Felder. Diaz and Felder: the Laurel and Hardy of right wing Democrats in New York.

I have more respect for the IDC. Honestly the protection given to the likes of Monserrate were one of the reasons for their split with the mainstream Dems. But I am not sure what they are doing now. I like (and can have good discussions with) Savino. Don't know the other IDC members personally. But Savino kind of rocks even though I don't agree with everything she does.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE: That's why we pay taxes. I Had A Thought

by mole333 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 11:58:04 AM PST

•  Please ask her (0+ / 0-)

what the fuck is she thinking? Because at the end of day, it's all about giving right wing Republicans control of committees.  Just how long is "equal control" going to last? Equal control between whom? The GOP and IDC, or the GOP and Democrats in general?  In an earlier comment, I mentioned that Savino's complicity in this was even more painful because she was previously a Democratic hero, much like how Henri Petain was a hero to Frenchmen because of his actions during WWI?  Is that how Savino wants to be remembered? As a Democratic Petain?

"Valerie, why am I getting all these emails calling me a classless boor?"

by TLS66 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 at 07:19:55 AM PST

•  Should talk to her (0+ / 0-)

I don't have the hours in the day right now, but I should shoot her an email when I get the chance. She has been very up front (in fact first met her because she wanted to discuss criticisms I had of her). But haven't talked with her for many months. She is very pro-union, pro-marriage equality, etc. But sometimes I don't know what she is thinking.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE: That's why we pay taxes. I Had A Thought

by mole333 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 at 07:59:23 AM PST

•  Felder isn't a sleeze (0+ / 0-)

he ran in a district that went overwhelmingly for Romney. Had he not promised to caucus with the Republicans he probably would have lost last month to David Storobin, who is so far to the right that he embarrasses the Tea Party.