View Diary: America in Decline: Even Chomsky noticed! (15 comments)

•  America has not failed as a "democracy." (3+ / 0-)

It never was intended to be a democracy. It was designed to be a republic as discussed in detail by James Madison in Federalist 10.

It was expressly designed to choose representatives by means of elections, and these representatives, it was hoped, would be "enlightened statesmen," who would do a better job of determining the public good than the People themselves. And our republic was expressly designed to keep the People from ever taking action except through their elected representatives.

It is all there in black and white in the Federalist essays.

Now, history shows that Madison's design, or as he called it, "the scheme of representation," has failed to provide us with enlightened statesmen to lead us and that has made all the difference. But the part of his system that was designed to keep the People from ever directly exercising their will has worked perfectly.

There are many things that one can fairly criticize our government for, but not for failing to be a democracy.

Of course, the Two-Party System, which was not designed by the Framers, and was not wanted by them, has contributed greatly to our problems.

The Framers were trying to design a government for the rich classes because they feared the lower, poorer classes, and it appears that they succeeded.

Might and Right are always fighting, in our youth it seems exciting. Right is always nearly winning, Might can hardly keep from grinning. -- Clarence Day

by hestal on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 03:16:26 PM PST

•  I get really tired of this old worn out (3+ / 0-)
      Diane Gee, Don midwest, Be Skeptical

response.  As if we don't all know that.  Do you even care to understand why I wrote this diary?

An idea is not responsible for who happens to be carrying it at the moment. It stands or falls on its own merits.

by don mikulecky on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 03:22:40 PM PST

•  Yes, I do care. Since I wrote my comment (1+ / 0-)
        don mikulecky

I followed your links to another diary. I read it and the comments. I followed a link from that diary to the description of your book which I also read.

I suppose, based on your sarcastic remark, that I misunderstood your your words about your agreement with Chomsky on the "failure of America with respect to the word 'democracy'" If you will tell me a little more about just what you meant by that remark I will be better able to respond to your sarcasm.

by hestal on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 03:32:34 PM PST

•  democracy is what we want...not what we have (0+ / 0-)

it is quite simple I think

by don mikulecky on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 03:39:23 PM PST

•  That is true but your remark in your diary (1+ / 0-)
            don mikulecky

should have included the idea that the constitutional system was never intended to be a democracy and on that account it has succeeded. Since the Framers did not try to create a democracy, and since democracy is what we want, then creating a democracy is a task that passed to the successors of the Framers, including you and me. So we are the failures. That, I think would be a clear statement.

I am not an author, though I am trying to be, but I know the ones I like best are the ones who write clearly, without confusing dependence on antecedents that are known only to the author and his associates.

But this is not to say that I am not interested in buying your book. Is it possible for you to give me a link to the table of contents. Do you offer a Kindle sample?

by hestal on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 03:47:25 PM PST

•  Thanks for your suggestion (0+ / 0-)

It has nothing to do with my diary

by don mikulecky on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 04:44:27 PM PST

•  Actually it does. Your diary is a promotion (1+ / 0-)
                Sharon Wraight

for your book, and I commented on your opaque writing. And I also asked two questions so that I might learn more about your the contents of your book. For example, if it wanders all over space and time like Chomsky does then I am not interested.

by hestal on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 05:15:57 PM PST

• Recommended (138)
  • Community (67)
  • Elections (26)
  • Environment (26)
  • Culture (24)
  • Science (23)
  • Media (23)
  • Law (22)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Economy (19)
  • Labor (19)
  • Memorial Day (18)
  • Rescued (17)
  • Climate Change (17)
  • Ireland (17)
  • Marriage Equality (17)
  • Republicans (16)
  • Bernie Sanders (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site