View Diary: Utah panel recommends 37% raise for Governor + Higher Taxes for Citizens (31 comments)

•  Depends on how you define "big bucks" (0+ / 0-)

The Winter Olympics took place a few months after 9/11.  Even the most psychotic Ron Paul Libertarian thought that spending money on security was a good idea.

As it turns out, Utah was too boring for terrorists to attack.

Utah also got money for light rail; which my wife used to get to work today.  Don't I read here all the time that our country is falling apart because we don't spend enough money on rail projects?

Federal fund were also used to rebuild I-80 and I-15.  I-15 and I-80 end up in California.  It looks like it's a bad idea to build infrastructure that is used to transport goods that create jobs in reliably Democratic states.

•  Well, I guess my point is that if people aren't (1+ / 0-)
      Utahrd

paying reasonable taxes, it sort of pisses me off that i pay high taxes to fund those in other states who pay low taxes.

Nothing personal.

202-224-3121 to Congress in D.C. USE it! You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage them. "We're not perfect, but they're nuts."--Barney Frank 01/02/2012

by cany on Wed Dec 05, 2012 at 11:34:05 AM PST

•  Those "red states are on Welfare" maps (1+ / 0-)
        War on Error

Yes, Utah does show up as one of those states that receives more federal funding that it pays in taxes.

But I don't think that defunding our national parks and Native American reservations would go over too well here.

Maybe our taxes are too low.  But Utah is the state with the least income inequality (I couldn't believe it either; check one of my diaries.)

For as many things as are wrong with this state, I would be very hesitant to do anything that increases income inequality.

•  Least income inequality? Not seeing this (0+ / 0-)

especially for women.  And most families require mom to work in order to survive.  High costs of housing/utilities here.  And high costs of high school kids to take part in sports, etc.  Heck, kids at our high school have to clean the school & pay $2/half hour for any infractions.

Which diary?

It's difficult to be happy knowing so many suffer. We must unite.

by War on Error on Wed Dec 05, 2012 at 11:47:38 AM PST

•  Why would a billionaire live here? (1+ / 0-)
            War on Error

It's one of those "lying through statistics" cases.

Utah has lots of problems and lots of poor people.

But why would a billionaire live in a place where it's Minneapolis in the winter and Phoenix in the summer?

So there aren't as many rich people here as compared to say, New York or California, with incomes that drive up income inequality.

I can't find a link to this any more.  Maybe I'm remembering it wrong?  But I seem to remember that Utah had the greatest percentage (not raw numbers, of course) increase in Hispanic population from the 1990 to 2000 census.

If it keeps income inequality relatively low and diversity high; it can't be all bad.

•  Oh... and highway funds are a different matter. I (2+ / 0-)
      Utahrd, War on Error

have no problem with highway funding because everything and everyone who uses/buys everything uses them.

As for rail, sure I get that. It's a great idea especially given the air pollution in SLC. Wish we had a better system here.

by cany on Wed Dec 05, 2012 at 11:39:33 AM PST

•  My friend pays (1+ / 0-)
        cany

$2,600 tax on $280,000 home Salt Lake County

It's difficult to be happy knowing so many suffer. We must unite.

by War on Error on Wed Dec 05, 2012 at 11:42:23 AM PST

•  Is the article correct, then, that you linked to? (1+ / 0-)
          War on Error

It didn't make sense to me or did I read it incorrectly?

by cany on Wed Dec 05, 2012 at 12:19:51 PM PST

•  I don't do math. : )) (0+ / 0-)

None of it makes sense.

For instance, the higher the evaluation of a home the higher the County Library charge is.

It could be a percentage of one aspect of the long list of items shown on a tax bill

It's difficult to be happy knowing so many suffer. We must unite.

by War on Error on Wed Dec 05, 2012 at 12:28:23 PM PST

•  Yes, it's basically a percentage. (1+ / 0-)
              War on Error

A higher valued home pays more for each line item of taxation because the total taxes are based on a certified tax rate.  Each taxing authority (city, county, library, school district, mosquito abatement, water treatment, etc.) has their own certified rate that they apply against the taxable value of a home.  All of the individual rates are added up to get the total certified rate for the area you live in (mine was .0155190 or 1.55190% for 2011).  The rate changes each year so that total property taxes collected remain the same whether overall values go up or down, unless of course a tax increase is proposed and accepted as will more than likely be the case for Salt Lake County next year.

Blind faith in bad leaders is not patriotism. - Rocky Anderson

by SLCdon on Wed Dec 05, 2012 at 01:00:58 PM PST

•  Yes, the article is correct. (2+ / 0-)
            War on Error, cany

The 16% tax increase is only on the Salt Lake County portion of property taxes.  The diarist is slightly in error saying the "Mayor of Salt Lake" proposed an increase.  When people say "Salt Lake" they generally think "Salt Lake City".  It was the Mayor of Salt Lake County that proposed the increase.  Two different levels of government, both with taxing authority over property.

For comparison sake, I just paid about $1975 in total property tax on my $224000 valued home in Salt Lake City/County.  The County portion of my taxes was about $310.  So if my County property tax goes up 16% that will amount to a $50 increase next year.

Blind faith in bad leaders is not patriotism. - Rocky Anderson

by SLCdon on Wed Dec 05, 2012 at 12:48:48 PM PST

•  I pay $1,250ish on a $150,000 in SLC (2+ / 0-)
          War on Error, SLCdon

I am supportive of higher property taxes in Salt Lake Co as well as more for public safety (voted for the SLC Bond), libraries, schools (even though I have no kids).  Lord knows we are going to pay for these things if we rely on the Legislature to pass a tax hike.

•  I pay twice that for 2800 sq ft in Herriman (0+ / 0-)

I wonder how this compares with size of your house, also have .25 acres.  I feel we pay much higher taxes in this area but hard to prove.

It's difficult to be happy knowing so many suffer. We must unite.

by War on Error on Wed Dec 05, 2012 at 09:19:09 PM PST

•  The Irony Line opens Saturday. (2+ / 0-)
        War on Error, SLCdon

A train that goes to a dinosaur museum!  My 7-year-old will be in heaven.

On Saturday, a new commuter train line opens to the most Republican county in the country.

•  :) (0+ / 0-)

by cany on Wed Dec 05, 2012 at 12:20:36 PM PST

• Recommended (128)
  • Community (64)
  • Elections (24)
  • Environment (23)
  • Media (23)
  • Culture (22)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Science (21)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Law (21)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Labor (18)
  • Economy (17)
  • Ireland (16)
  • Marriage Equality (16)
  • Bernie Sanders (16)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Hillary Clinton (15)
  • Rescued (15)
  • Climate Change (15)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site