View Diary: Jerry Moran, shame of Kansas (148 comments)

•  Here's the real Bob Dole. (22+ / 0-)
    CRAWFORD, Texas — Former Republican Sen. Bob Dole suggested Sunday that John Kerry apologize for past testimony before Congress about alleged atrocities during the Vietnam War and joined critics of the Democratic presidential candidate who say he received an early exit from combat for “superficial wounds.”

Dole also called on Kerry to release all the records of his service in Vietnam.

Separately, President Bush’s re-election campaign continued to deny links to Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, an anti-Kerry group running ads in three states, after the resignation of a campaign volunteer who appeared in the group’s new ad.

Dole tells Scarborough that Senator Kerry called Senator Dole after his statements on Sunday to tell him he was “disappointed.”  Dole also says that he thinks Kerry should stop talking about what a “great veteran” he was, that he thinks the American people admire the “quiet heroes” and it pays to “not talk about yourself so much.”

Just because he's old and in a wheelchair now doesn't mean he's a good man.

He's always been an asshole, similar to McCain.

"Michael Moore, who was filming a movie about corporate welfare called 'Capitalism: A Love Story,' sought and received incentives."

by Bush Bites on Thu Dec 06, 2012 at 02:24:34 AM PST

•  I too cannot forget Dole's participation in making (16+ / 0-)

a fortunate child/draft dodger into a patriot all the while trampling on a hero and true patriot to do it.
      Some might even call it Karma!

"If you tell the truth, you won't have to remember anything", Mark Twain

by Cruzankenny on Thu Dec 06, 2012 at 04:06:45 AM PST

•  Karma wouldn't be hurting people around the (3+ / 0-)
        milton333, Yasuragi, peregrine kate

world out of spite for an old, out-of-office US politician.  If that's what you meant by the Karma comment.

•  Why would you accuse me of being that (1+ / 0-)
          YucatanMan

cold. I was speaking to the betrayal of his colleagues as I believe Dole betrayed his country. This Diary was more about Dole than the treaty.
          I can't begin to speak of the callousness of those who would vote against this action, because I cannot fathom a rationale that would ever allow me to consider voting against it.

"If you tell the truth, you won't have to remember anything", Mark Twain

by Cruzankenny on Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 04:09:47 AM PST

•  There are degrees of iniquity (16+ / 0-)

McCain and seven other GOP senators voted for the treaty. The 38 who voted no sank to a lower level. Moran and any others who went back on their word are reprehensible.

The bad news is that three of the the Republicans who voted yes will not be back in January (Brown, Lugar, and Snowe). The number of semi-reasonable Republican senators is shrinking. The good news is that they will be replaced by Democrats (or an I who will caucus with the Dems in the case of Angus King).

•  Exactly. Thank you. n/t (5+ / 0-)

by YucatanMan on Thu Dec 06, 2012 at 08:28:38 AM PST

•  At least one of those "yes" votes (4+ / 0-)
        ColoTim, YucatanMan, cstark, Nulwee

would likely have been a "no" if they  weren't leaving the Senate.

As you said, three of the Republicans who voted "yes" are lame ducks. Four of the Republicans who voted "yes" are from New England. Brown and Snowe are in both categories.

In fact, if I tallied right, there's only one Republican who's not from New England, and who is up for re-election in 2014, who voted yes: John Barrasso. While it's impossible to know, I'd bet that Lugar, had he been up for re-election in 2014 instead of having been voted out this year, would have voted "no".

The fail is very strong with that party.

Let us all have the strength to see the humanity in our enemies, and the courage to let them see the humanity in ourselves.

by Nowhere Man on Thu Dec 06, 2012 at 08:47:44 AM PST

•  I agree. This is about snakes biting snakes, not (19+ / 0-)

a Dole hagiography.  But, I gave some background on who Dole was so that people would understand this wasn't just something that he decided to pick up on a whim.

It was his lifelong pursuit. And Jerry Moran turned his back.

by YucatanMan on Thu Dec 06, 2012 at 08:28:09 AM PST

•  Didn't come across as a Dole hagiography (9+ / 0-)

And we're mostly aware of Bob Dole's moral failings in other areas.  But I get the point of your diary, and it is relevant to bring up Bob Dole who in some ways does seem qualitatively at least a little different from the current crop that voted "no".  And there is particular tragedy in a Kansas senator going back on his word to Bob Dole.  Something changed over the last decade or two and the younger GOP senators are mostly different.  As bad as Bob Dole is, he neither consistently placed party over country, nor did he always kowtow to fringe evangelical fundies over every issue, no matter how minor.  He had a bit of dick in his personality, but a bit of Dick Lugar in him too.  It is possible to admire aspects of his character and life, while being disgusted at others.  But this current crop of senators... seriously, it's almost impossible even for one who wants to see some minor shred of decency, to find any at all in any of them.

“If the misery of the poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by our institutions, great is our sin.” Charles Darwin

by ivorybill on Thu Dec 06, 2012 at 10:00:00 AM PST

•  Bob Dole was pretty much an Eisenhower Republican (10+ / 0-)

until he had to embrace the far right to run for president and to support George W Bush's run.

Something must happen to Republicans when they get older -- lose all sense of purpose and perspective, like McCain and Dole both did.

In person, Bob Dole was a very genuine and interesting person. He was funny and he had a huge memory for names and places.  (I guess most successful politicians have to be somewhat like that.)  I knew him as a person -- when I first met him, he was about the age I am now -- before he ran off to be a right-wing crazy running for president.

But this example shows that Bob Dole is still grounded a bit in reality:  He supports a UN treaty for heaven's sake!   That's pretty non-tea bagger these days.

by YucatanMan on Thu Dec 06, 2012 at 10:52:01 AM PST

•  WWII vets and Vietnam Vets (2+ / 0-)
      YucatanMan, gffish

And no, he's not always been an asshole.

And he's far, FAR, from the only WWII vet who has issues with Vietnam vets.  It is/was a distinct divide in the veteran community, though less so now since so few WWII vets are still around or in positions of authority.

But for a LONG time it was a big deal.

*The administration has done virtually nothing designed to reward its partisans. - Kos 8/31/10*

by Rick Aucoin on Thu Dec 06, 2012 at 12:28:29 PM PST

• Recommended (136)
  • Community (67)
  • Elections (25)
  • Environment (24)
  • Media (23)
  • Culture (23)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Law (22)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Science (21)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Labor (19)
  • Economy (18)
  • Marriage Equality (17)
  • Ireland (17)
  • Rescued (16)
  • Bernie Sanders (16)
  • Hillary Clinton (15)
  • Memorial Day (15)
  • Climate Change (15)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site