View Diary: After Jim DeMint's resignation shocker, what comes next? (146 comments)

•  How 'bout Alvin Green? (9+ / 0-)

stay together / learn the flowers / go light - Gary Snyder

by Mother Mags on Thu Dec 06, 2012 at 09:16:51 AM PST

•  This is perfect... (5+ / 0-)

The Peter Principle at its best!  And we do not have to see him as much!  Terrific!

•  It's always good when a scumbag goes. (4+ / 0-)

Nuclear Reactor = Dirty Bomb

by olo on Thu Dec 06, 2012 at 09:26:13 AM PST

•  We are hopefully seeing the tip of the iceberg. (3+ / 0-)
        red moon dog, hannah, Munchkn

Unload all the crazies on the lobbyists, let them spend all their money. Meanwhile we make vigorous appeals to the reasonable, shift everything toward the center(left) and while our population shifts toward more diversity, reclaim the majority.

I've had quite a few discussions with "Tea-party" supporters. I slip in my "tag-line". How can anyone not agree that if you have a talent you live by it and if you have a real need you find support. Then I have to explain Marxist philosophy. It often finds support.

The majority of the disaffected "conservatives" are not against social programs, especially when you drill down on them. Who couldn't agree with most of FDR's programs. My father was a republican all his life, yet he loved FDR because of the WPA and CCC, and he loved JFK because he saw a new hope.

We need to cast the net broadly and bring in the disaffected in from all groups.

Let the craziness depart, the sooner the better.

"Jeder nach seinen Fähigkeiten, jedem nach seinen Bedürfnissen!" oder "From each according to his ability, to each according to his need"

by drpmeade on Thu Dec 06, 2012 at 09:50:02 AM PST

•  FDR = "That Man" (4+ / 0-)
          feloneouscat, Munchkn, Bronx59, Rebecca

As a child I brought home one of those school library biographies of FDR.

I still remember its power.

I'd never heard of the Great Depression even though my own parents struggled through.

Republican isolationism?  Not at our dinner table.

WWII, which my Dad survived through the Battle of the Bulge and beyond?  Like many vets, he just didn't talk about it.

But when I mentioned I'd just read a book on FDR, who had been a Great President?

Shut down cold.

Later I heard snippets.

"If we could invest our Social Security instead of the government taking it from us, we would have more money."

[ My father was a terrible "investor."  Not his fault, his prime "stock market years" were those from early Ike through Late Tricky Dick.  When he sold out, the market was down from where he started 25 years earlier ]

My folks were accountants for (among others) the doctors in our small town.  All totally opposed to Medicare.

SOCIALISM!

Amazing, the doctors rapidly grew wealthy on Medicare, and my dad moved his "practice" more from bookkeeping to tax advice.

Repugs, as a rule, hate FDR.  They've been trying to reverse the New Deal since 1932.  They've chipped away, and every chip they whack out, hurts America.

Glass-Stegall repeal?

•  Sorry to hear your story, rablrouzer. (0+ / 0-)

My Dad survived the Philippines, malaria and tuberculosis.

I guess every family has its history. Just relating my Father's. I suppose He's where I got my independent streak. I'm the opposite corollary  to Churchill's statement. When I was young I tended to be conservative, as I've grown older I've become more liberal.

Go figure.

by drpmeade on Tue Dec 11, 2012 at 11:15:18 AM PST

•  Colbert (3+ / 0-)

I actually think he'd be more credible than Al Franken was, at first. Everyone who knows him at all knows him as a person with political interests & know-how, rather than as an all-purpose comic.

Al Franken won, somewhat to my surprise at the time.

A Republican is a person who says we need to rebuild Iraq but not New Orleans. - Temple Stark

by Christopher Walker on Thu Dec 06, 2012 at 09:30:19 AM PST

•  Colbert would be ideal in the sense (2+ / 0-)
        Danali, Battling Maxo

That irony-challenged wing nuts believe he agrees with them.

On the other hand, I refuse to  allow it unless they agree to let Colbert continue to do his show from the floor of the Senate (242 nights of the year, Fridays off, subject to power outages --- huh, um, wow, TDS/TCR really do work Congressional hours, don't they?)

© grover

by grover on Thu Dec 06, 2012 at 09:52:43 AM PST

•  I respectfully disagree. (3+ / 0-)

Franken, just like Colbert, is very smart, politically informed and staunchly progressive on top of being very funny.  Plus, he was a good friend of Paul Wellstone which says something about his character as well as his political beliefs. If you'd seen him him in action during his campaign you'd know that Al Franken is more credible than most candidates running for the first time for the Senate, including those who come from other elected offices.

"Some folks rob you with a six-gun, some rob you with a fountain pen." - Woody Guthrie

by Involuntary Exile on Thu Dec 06, 2012 at 11:19:36 AM PST

•  Franken (0+ / 0-)

I was thinking more of optics than de facto.

I wasn't really in a position to evaluate Franken's bona fides when he ran. I'm an out-of-state observer of the Minnesota political scene. And I wasn't a fan of Franken as a performer.

I'm only saying, Colbert's whole schtick is politics and he comes across as well-informed even though what he does is satire.

I sent money to Franken, when he ran. I'm still on his mailing list. But I thought it was an odd candidacy.

by Christopher Walker on Thu Dec 06, 2012 at 07:25:56 PM PST

•  Well HE has a SUPERPAC ;-) (8+ / 0-)

"Rick Perry talks a lot and he's not very bright. And that's a combination I like in Republicans." --- James Carville

by LaurenMonica on Thu Dec 06, 2012 at 09:32:45 AM PST

• Education (21)
  • Rescued (21)
  • Freddie Gray (20)
  • Health Care (20)
  • Barack Obama (19)
  • Racism (19)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site