View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Live Digest: 12/7 (251 comments)

•  specifically on Virginia (3+ / 0-)
    DCCyclone, Woody, MichaelNY

we were close to getting collective bargaining rights under Kaine.  McAuliffe would probably be a very good governor for labor in Virginia.

by James Allen on Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 11:02:25 AM PST

•  My union... (4+ / 0-)

Has a statewide local of public-sector workers in Virginia, which operates via dues deduction and uses the state grievance system, even if it can't bargain.  I've never heard we were exceptionally close there, although we were moving along in North Carolina to getting state workers collective bargaining rights up until the Republicans swept in, and we remain active in West Virginia (where I hope we can get it done before Republicans take over the state in the next decade).

•  Can you go into this more? (1+ / 0-)
      MichaelNY

I thought of Virginia earlier because someone asked Kaine about this stuff in regards to Wisconsin when he was the DNC chairman and I believe the reason given was that Virginia Republicans controlled one half of the legislature.

I'm a corporatist McGovernite Atari Democrat...I think.

by bjssp on Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 11:25:30 AM PST

•  I think that's right (1+ / 0-)
        MichaelNY

but its also a matter of Democrats there still being very centrist and business friendly in general.  McAuliffe is the same, but he's also a guy from national politics who knows the importance of labor.

by James Allen on Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 11:37:05 AM PST

•  Which raises the question, (1+ / 0-)
          MichaelNY

are these people willing to take a risk? I mean, I'm sure there are some moves that would be outrageous, but would a basic bill that expands abilities to unionize be that against their beliefs? And perhaps more importantly, while these states are trending our way, but they aren't deep blue now and they might never be. Are they going to turn down a chance to cement support like that?

I'm a corporatist McGovernite Atari Democrat...I think.

by bjssp on Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 11:55:28 AM PST

•  Looking at it... (3+ / 0-)
            James Allen, LordMike, MichaelNY

Just from a cold-hearted political standpoint, they'd probably weigh out gaining union ground support versus losing corporate money.

One thing should be clear after 2012 - corporate money doesn't trump ground game.  Therefore, I think it's an easy gimmie.  But some of these guys cut their teeth in a different political era, so it may not be so clear.

•  Are state legislators really getting corporate (0+ / 0-)

money?

I'm a corporatist McGovernite Atari Democrat...I think.

by bjssp on Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 12:19:40 PM PST

•  Probably so, at least from local corporations (1+ / 0-)
                MichaelNY

and I'd think that corporations and their executives would be big donors to outside groups that run ads in legislative elections as well. Here in Wisconsin, that's mainly Wisconsin Manufacturers and Commerce and pro-voucher groups.

Male, 22, -4.75/-6.92, born and raised TN-05, now WI-02. "You're damn right we're making a difference!" - Senator-Elect Tammy Baldwin (D-Wisconsin)

by fearlessfred14 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 12:32:37 PM PST

•  is the sky blue? (2+ / 0-)
                James Allen, MichaelNY

19, CA-18 (home), CA-13 (school)
                politicohen.com
                Socially libertarian, moderate on foreign policy, immigration, and crime, liberal on everything else.
                UC Berkeley; I think I'm in the conservative half of this city. -.5.38, -3.23

by jncca on Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 01:00:35 PM PST

•  Heh, okay...lemme put it this way: (0+ / 0-)

are the sums usually so high that they couldn't be replaced by other groups?

I'm a corporatist McGovernite Atari Democrat...I think.

by bjssp on Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 02:29:25 PM PST