View Diary: Who Am I?: Not So Irish After All (A Big Genealogy Surprise, Part 2) (180 comments)

•  Which Mayflower (2+ / 0-)
    murasaki, Judgment at Nuremberg

folks? I've got four that I know of. Resolved White, George Soule, have to look up the others.

A lifetime friend is a direct descendant of Miles Standish, which was a subject of some humor when we read Longfellow in high school.

The truth is rarely pure and never simple. -- Oscar Wilde

by Mnemosyne on Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 04:49:52 PM PST

•  1620 Mayflower, with passengers that signed (1+ / 0-)
      Judgment at Nuremberg

the Mayflower compact.

My ancestors include: Peter Browne, Richard Warren, & Thomas Rogers. They are all 14th g-grandfathers.

I may be descended from Miles Standish, too, through Thomas Standish (d. 1693, Wethersfield, CT). Connection seems likely, but is not proven.

My Connecticut governor ancestor was John Webster (of the Colony of Connecticut, ca. 1656)

Democrats promote the Common good. Republicans promote Corporate greed.

by murasaki on Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 05:05:35 PM PST

•  Thomas Rogers (1+ / 0-)
        NonnyO

born 15-something, London, lived in Leyden, Holland, from 1618. Mayflower passenger, signer of the Compact.

He and his son Joseph arrived on the Mayflower; Thomas died that first winter, as did many others. Joseph was raised by Gov. Bradford. The other children, including my GGG-whatever John, came over later.

My mother's notes say that Thomas' wife was named Elsgen, and that she died after 1622 in Leyden, so apparently she decided not to travel. And from the name I'm wondering if she was Dutch.

The truth is rarely pure and never simple. -- Oscar Wilde

by Mnemosyne on Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 05:46:58 PM PST

•  My ancestor is also his son, John Rogers. (1+ / 0-)
          Mnemosyne

Born 1614, and came to America apparently later than his dad did. John was born in either England or Holland, and died about 1691. His mother I have listed as Elizabeth __, who probably married Thomas in England.

Democrats promote the Common good. Republicans promote Corporate greed.

by murasaki on Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 06:37:59 PM PST

•  John Webster (1+ / 0-)
        murasaki

b. 10 November 1653, Middletown, Connecticut. His father was Robert, and his grandfather was Gov. John.

He married Sarah Mygatt in 1677, and they had seven children, of whom Abigail, my however-many GGmother, was the fourth.

The Standish connection should be fairly easy to prove, given how well known the name. And Wethersfield at that time sounds about right.

John Rogers is the one I cited under Thomas. Elsgen as his mother's name could be her last name. My mother's notes give her source as Mayflower records, and knowing her she probably went down to Plymouth to check 'em out.

My notes say he was born 1614 in England, came to Plymouth in 1630, occupation weaver, married Anna Churchman 16 April 1639 in Plymouth. Died 1691 or '92 in Duxbury, dates are from his will. Church affiliation Puritan; no surprise there.

If you can find a copy of Saints and Strangers, by George Willison, it has lots of intriguing detail about Mayflower and Speedwell passengers (describes Thomas Rogers as a "camlet merchant," whatever that was). Also read Nathaniel Philbrick's Mayflower. Subtitle: "A story of courage, community, and war."

The truth is rarely pure and never simple. -- Oscar Wilde

by Mnemosyne on Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 09:08:20 PM PST

•  Camlet is a kind of cloth (1+ / 0-)
          Mnemosyne

very outdated name.  I believe it was the kind used for white shirts and undergarments, made for those with some money.

Democrats promote the Common good. Republicans promote Corporate greed.

by murasaki on Sat Dec 08, 2012 at 07:48:47 AM PST

• Memorial Day (31)
  • Media (26)
  • Climate Change (25)
  • Labor (25)
  • Education (24)
  • Hillary Clinton (24)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (23)
  • Barack Obama (23)
  • Spam (23)
  • Civil Rights (23)
  • GOP (22)
  • Science (20)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site