View Diary: Is the Mob cleaning up at Chicago's O'Hare Airport? (49 comments)

•  Blah. (3+ / 0-)
    palantir, Bon Temps, Homer J

My trash gets picked up every week.  My recycling gets picked up.  My street gets plowed when it snows.  I take the L to work and the L home every day; a train comes every 5 minutes.  We have a great zoo and conservatory just a few blocks down the street; my daughter loves them.  Our park system rivals that of any city in the world.  The streets are clean.  From our big airport, you can fly non-stop nearly anywhere on earth.  And the facility presents itself as a clean, safe gateway to the United States.  There are fresh flowers lining Wacker Drive that I see every morning when I walk to work from the train.

I live in Chicago.  And I don't give a flying fuck if the stuff I described above happens because some organization gets a bribe, or if it happens for a little bit extra, or if somebody's unemployable cousin gets $60,000 from a sinecure with the Park District.  This city works.  Without a city income tax.  And let the record show: I don't care HOW it works.  It does.  I have lived in a formidable list of world cities in my life (including New York, London, Frankfurt), and I prefer Chicago.

•  So you are ok with.... (8+ / 0-)

....Chicago-style apartheid? Chicago-style poverty? Chicago-style street violence?  Chicago-style urban displacement of black and latino families? Chicago-style racist allocation of public services, Chicago-style attacks on public education? Chicago-style unionbusting? Chicago-style low wage economic policy? Chicago-style racist unemployment?

If you are, than have a nice life, lots of Chicagoans aren't quite as economically fortunate or as morally deficient as you seem to be.

"Don't believe everything you think."

by BobboSphere on Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 10:12:40 PM PST

•  You don't really know.... (2+ / 0-)
        palantir, gramofsam1

but given my socioeconomic position, I really should be a modern-day goo-goo---and possibly even a Republican.  But I'm not.  The racial segregation between neighborhoods here is disconcerting.  But I won't extend use that unfortunate datum to mar the entire city.  Go to New York, or Philadelphia, or anywhere in Europe, and show me something that you prefer.  Maybe someone from Oak Park can use "Chicago Style" as a derogatory term.  I won't pretend this city's perfect.  But it's the best-run place I've lived in.

•  Racial segregation is disconcerting? Try deadly. (7+ / 0-)

According to a 2007 study by the Chicago Reporter, infant mortality in 5 Chicago black neighborhoods ranged from 19.2 to 25.1 per thousand live births. Infant mortality is widely accepted as the single best indicator of overall public health.

Edison Park, a largely white enclave had 1 infant death that year. The City Health Dept doesn't even have stats on 39 Chicago neighborhoods because their infant death rates are so low. The average in Chicago as a whole was  9.6 deaths per 1,000. The average in 2007 for the USA was 6.79.

I compared Chicago infant mortality rates of these 5 black Chicago neighborhoods listed by the Chicago Reporter in 2007 with the 2005-2010 rates in other nations.

It was much higher than anywhere in the European Union and much higher even than communist Cuba. On the West Side, in the very shadow of a gleaming urban medical complex, touted as the largest in the USA,  babies die needlessly because of the racialized poverty imposed by the Chicago elite.

The low wage non-union privatized economic policy being pushed by Rahm and his LaSalle Street financial cronies is not the answer to this racialized poverty.

Sure Chicago works for some, particularly if you are white and have money.

"Don't believe everything you think."

by BobboSphere on Sat Dec 08, 2012 at 03:56:09 AM PST

•  Well, you (0+ / 0-)

are a republican.

Republicans [and libertarians] don't care about anyone but themselves.

The banks have a stranglehold on the political process. Mike Whitney

by dfarrah on Sat Dec 08, 2012 at 07:36:34 AM PST

•  I'm almost done reading "Broken Trust," the story (2+ / 0-)
          delver rootnose, ybruti

of the horrific corruption that existed (and to a lesser but persistent degree, still exists) in Hawaii.  The Dems were the culprits and their blatant disregard for the integrity of the state's political culture basically handed the state over to Linda Lingle for 8 years following the eruption of the scandal.  Sinecures and kickbacks and money laundering were SOP, and it was a cesspool even though it was a paradisaical one.  And it was centered on the richest charitable trust in the US at the time, the Bishop Estate, that was the patrimony of the deposed monarchy which was supposed to be dedicated to the education of Hawaiian children.

And you know what brought it down?  A combination of outraged common folks and a few brave community leaders who stood up against unbelievable odds to demand the system be overthrown and overhauled.  Of course there was a huge contingent of self-satisfied and complacent don't-give-a-shit-as-long-as-the-panhandlers-aren't-bugging-me types in the professional class who couldn't see the sense of upsetting the apple cart when it didn't affect their comfort level.

That's kind of complacency is disgusting no matter where it occurs.

"Well, yeah, the Constitution is worth it if you succeed." - Nancy Pelosi // Question: "succeed" at what?

by nailbender on Sat Dec 08, 2012 at 10:33:38 AM PST

•  [Fellow] Chicago lawyer, your first paragraph... (0+ / 0-)

... was fine. Compelling, actually. This is a city that works. And it has gotten better over several admnistrations, beginning - in my experience - with Richard J. Daley, an imperfect mayor, but one many competing interests could accept and - within bounds - trust. An LBJ type: let's talk and reason together and do it my way for everyone's betterment. He did not have alliances (except for a few key ones) in the black community and - to be sure - he should have had many more. But what we needed was a city that worked better and by and large, it got better ... With a long way to go.

Chicago is also a Big City with classic urban problems. To name a few: ghettos, gun violence abounding, many schools of marginal educational functionality (how's that for a term of art?) that have to fulfil too many needs that are way beyond classic education. I'm male, white, old ... and once successful at my job so that I can live in a part of this great city where racism does not appear rampant, although I may not be a very good judge of that.

BUT I do care how the city works. Whether the lowest bidders on city and county projects and services are the outfit(s). Whether a contract was influenced by an alderman, and How. Whether we can possibly get all those not-income tax rates and assessments closer to tolerable levels before we price out so many more residents that you and I will be lonely.

I'm amazed to read an educated responsible guy saying - in effect - if he can't see the corruption and injustice - its OK. Forgive me, but that resembles the filters my (few) Republican friends have and, apparently, live by.

2014 IS COMING. Build up the Senate. Win back the House : 17 seats. Plus!

by TRPChicago on Sat Dec 08, 2012 at 12:54:44 PM PST

•  and your attitude is... (2+ / 0-)
      dfarrah, grimjc

...part of the problem.  And all those things you mention cost.  Just because they don't cost YOU enough to be bothered by it does not mean they don't cost others more than they can afford.  And I would put down a large bet that you are lilly ass white.

We Glory in war, in the shedding of human blood. What fools we are.

by delver rootnose on Sat Dec 08, 2012 at 05:31:20 AM PST

•  oh and to add ... (2+ / 0-)
      grrr, Alden

...there should be a city income tax rather than soaking the rest of the state for money to make YOUR city work.

We Glory in war, in the shedding of human blood. What fools we are.

by delver rootnose on Sat Dec 08, 2012 at 05:32:33 AM PST

•  Chicagoland is a net payer (0+ / 0-)

Chicago may get slightly more in money from the state then it gives in taxes but if you add in suburbs and collar counties around chicago, then things change radically and the region is giving the state more money than it gets back.  Like it or not, IL gets a good portion of it's revenue from Chicago and the regions surrounding it, so your attitude is pretty misguided.

•  I live in the Suburbs... (0+ / 0-)

...so Chicagoland is a net payer but Chicago is a net reciever.  Guess who makes up the difference.  The suburbs.  Esp Cook county suburbs that pay for many county services located in Chicago inconviently far away people who may need them.  Like the County hospital which serves mostly Chicagoians.

We Glory in war, in the shedding of human blood. What fools we are.

by delver rootnose on Sat Dec 08, 2012 at 12:09:04 PM PST

•  If you appreciate the airport bathrooms so much... (1+ / 0-)
      BobboSphere

then you should have some respect for the people who have been cleaning your shit every time you fly out of there.  Because they're getting thrown out on their asses two weeks before Christmas.  If you think this is because they weren't doing a good job then you don't know Chicago - this has everything to do with Rahm cutting the budget on the backs of union workers, and SEIU in particular, and nothing to do with keeping the city clean.  You said it yourself- the airport has been clean for years - and it's been that way since it was privatized the first time and Scrub came in.  But apparently a living wage wasn't low enough for Rahmbo- they had to cut the bennies, the seniority, the vacation and the full-time salary.  Rahm has hated trade unions ever since the NAFTA fight in 1994 and he's still going.