View Diary: Dear Rep. Cleaver, Medicare is already means tested (96 comments)

•  My partner is permanently disabled. (9+ / 0-)

He counts on Medicare, Medicaid and yes, SNAP. I would like to know who is electing people to tell people like my other half that they have to tighten their belts. It cannot be tightened any further.

I am gay, and I'm getting married in the Episcopal Church, just like my great-grandmother did.

by commonmass on Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 02:13:56 PM PST

•  Well, we all have to sacrifice (3+ / 0-)
      maryabein, PhilJD, commonmass

If by "we" we mean us little people. We're not communists are we?

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 02:23:22 PM PST

•  yeh look how well that is working out for (4+ / 0-)
        wishingwell, greenbell, commonmass, Ozzie

Greece and Spain.  The countries which went for strengthening their social safety nets are doing OK, Germany and France, while the austerity nations such as Ireland continue to wallow in a mire of debt.  Even Cameron of GB has finally admitted austerity does not work and has mentioned a mansion tax.

•  The myth of finite fiat capital has to die (3+ / 0-)
          entlord, commonmass, wsexson

And with it the fear of short-term spikes in inflation, interest rates and currency devaluation. When economies suffer, monetary and fiscal policy is essential, and we can afford it. What we can't afford is to pretend that we can't afford it.

Not spending money during a downturn for fear that it'll lead to inflation or higher interest rates is like not putting out a fire for fear that it'll flood the building.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 03:01:38 PM PST

•  yeppers, since the GOP is so fond of comparing (1+ / 0-)
            commonmass

a home budget to a national budget I use the example of if your roof start leaking.  Do you get a homeowner's loan and fix it immediately or do you wait until you can save the money to fix it, while the damage is exacerbated with each day you delay?

I was raised by grandparents who were adults during the Depression and I get saving and I get living within your means.  At the same time, I also get that the world has changed and some of the old rules have changed from what they were in 1935.

•  I get that too: (0+ / 0-)

I have no revolving debt: if I can't pay cash, I can't have it.

by commonmass on Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 04:54:58 PM PST

•  but some things cannot be put off (1+ / 0-)
                commonmass

and it is currently impossible for the average family to save, say for a home, assuming they are able to find a loan. For myself, I have been forced to a cash basis since the banks tightened their credit in 2007 but I already own a home so it is not an issue for me

•  For day to day stuff that's ok (1+ / 0-)
                commonmass

For buying a home or car or paying for school, usually not. Our economy is based on debt. Has been since the late middle ages. No going back.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 05:33:44 PM PST

•  I receive SSDI and would gladly return to work (3+ / 0-)
      Tamar, DSPS owl, commonmass

except I am only up and out for 4-8 hours on my good days and may be bedridden for 2-4 days at a stretch.  The only job I can find I can qualify for, given the few days I would be able to show up for work, is Congressman and they don't seem to be hiring

•  BTW, how do you tighten your belt when you (3+ / 0-)
      Tamar, commonmass, Nance

boiled and ate said belt some years back?
      Kind of like Democrats calling for bootstrapping for people who are barefooted.  We still need to elect better Ds

•  Well you would't expect his doctor to sacrifice! (1+ / 0-)
      Nance

Heck he probably makes about $250K and we KNOW those folks cannot afford another penny in taxes.  I mean you wouldn't expect physicians, attorneys, accountants, IT specialists, middle managers to sacrifice?  Not when we can bipartisanly screw the sick and the old.  I mean we are a center right country dontcha know.  Get with the program.  Don't be extreme.   Take your bitter pill.  Eat your mushy canned peas.

•  It's no longer the doctors (primary doctors) who (1+ / 0-)
        DSPS owl

are raking it in. Medicare is not a high payer to doctors.
        My husband, who doesn't make anything close to the figure you mention, said that if they lower Medicare payments, he won't be able to afford to take Medicare patients anymore.  They already don't pay all that well. If you figure in his time filling out forms for his patients with Medicare, he makes less per hour from Medicare than the per hour of people with good union jobs. And he went to 4 years of medical school, 3 years of residency, 2 years of fellowship, is board certified in both adult & child psychiatry, and came out of his education owing a hell of a lot of money.
        Doctors used to be some of the wealthiest people, but that's changed drastically. The big money in health care is with the insurance company executives, doctors who own high volume operations or do lots of routine surgeries, not the individual doctors who actually see and care for patients in an ongoing way. Insurance companies screw the doctors just as much as they screw the patients, believe me. (we have double reason to hate them after dealing with a disabled child -- they managed to underpay or not pay at all for a lot of caring services delivered to our child).

We're not perfect, but they're nuts! -- Barney Frank

by Tamar on Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 03:21:30 PM PST

•  But professionals are the class who are (1+ / 0-)
          Tamar

being exempted from the tax increases even though their incomes are significantly higher than the median while at the same time they are proposing significant cuts to entitlements which will fall much more heavily on the working poor and lower middle class.

It makes no sense to me that our excuse for not raising taxes on incomes above $100K is that this is really only middle class but then consider proposals that would deny healthcare to people in their 60's and decrease COLA's on Social Security. The people least able to afford these cuts are those with just enough assets and income not to qualify for Medicaid but far too little income to afford major health care expenses.

I do understand that primary care providers are not getting rich.  I think the government should be picking up the tab for their medical education.

•  I agree that $250,000 is too high -- I would make (0+ / 0-)

it a fair amount lower, but I think it also would need to be related to geography. $100,000/year in Arkansas is a much bigger income than $100,000 in my state of Maryland. (median income for a family of 4 in Arkansas is about $55,000 while in Maryland it's almost double that at close to $107,000).

We're not perfect, but they're nuts! -- Barney Frank

by Tamar on Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 07:13:26 PM PST

•  your partner should not have to pay an extra (2+ / 0-)
      commonmass, Nance

dime and should not lose benefits. I'm hearing that most Democrats, particularly people like Pelosi, are with us on this.
      I think it's a few weak-minded idiots that will hopefully be shut down by the better Dems.

We're not perfect, but they're nuts! -- Barney Frank