View Diary: Dear Rep. Cleaver, Medicare is already means tested (96 comments)

•  Well, we all have to sacrifice (3+ / 0-)
    maryabein, PhilJD, commonmass

If by "we" we mean us little people. We're not communists are we?

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 02:23:22 PM PST

•  yeh look how well that is working out for (4+ / 0-)
      wishingwell, greenbell, commonmass, Ozzie

Greece and Spain.  The countries which went for strengthening their social safety nets are doing OK, Germany and France, while the austerity nations such as Ireland continue to wallow in a mire of debt.  Even Cameron of GB has finally admitted austerity does not work and has mentioned a mansion tax.

•  The myth of finite fiat capital has to die (3+ / 0-)
        entlord, commonmass, wsexson

And with it the fear of short-term spikes in inflation, interest rates and currency devaluation. When economies suffer, monetary and fiscal policy is essential, and we can afford it. What we can't afford is to pretend that we can't afford it.

Not spending money during a downturn for fear that it'll lead to inflation or higher interest rates is like not putting out a fire for fear that it'll flood the building.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 03:01:38 PM PST

•  yeppers, since the GOP is so fond of comparing (1+ / 0-)
          commonmass

a home budget to a national budget I use the example of if your roof start leaking.  Do you get a homeowner's loan and fix it immediately or do you wait until you can save the money to fix it, while the damage is exacerbated with each day you delay?

I was raised by grandparents who were adults during the Depression and I get saving and I get living within your means.  At the same time, I also get that the world has changed and some of the old rules have changed from what they were in 1935.

•  I get that too: (0+ / 0-)

I have no revolving debt: if I can't pay cash, I can't have it.

I am gay, and I'm getting married in the Episcopal Church, just like my great-grandmother did.

by commonmass on Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 04:54:58 PM PST

•  but some things cannot be put off (1+ / 0-)
              commonmass

and it is currently impossible for the average family to save, say for a home, assuming they are able to find a loan. For myself, I have been forced to a cash basis since the banks tightened their credit in 2007 but I already own a home so it is not an issue for me

•  For day to day stuff that's ok (1+ / 0-)
              commonmass

For buying a home or car or paying for school, usually not. Our economy is based on debt. Has been since the late middle ages. No going back.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 05:33:44 PM PST

•  Will you please make that case to my bank? n/t (1+ / 0-)
                kovie

by commonmass on Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 10:21:26 PM PST

•  Heh (1+ / 0-)
                  commonmass

You're going to need a more compelling advocate than me. Perhaps when Liz Warren is on the banking committee and she starts asking those fine gentlemen what exactly they've been doing with the money we lent them recently?

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777