View Diary: Flying the B-52 - Part 1 (216 comments)

•  On the B-24, yes. (10+ / 0-)

I only know of two in airworthy condition.  One is owned by the Commemorative Air Force, and the other by the Collins Foundation. The one in my photo is the one owned by the CAF.

The general who wins the battle makes many calculations in his temple before the battle is fought. The general who loses makes but few calculations beforehand. - Sun Tzu

by Otteray Scribe on Sun Dec 09, 2012 at 02:29:30 PM PST

•  The CAF aircraft has been here twice in the past (4+ / 0-)

3 years. Just unbelievable! And seeing it FLY is even more stunning! There is usually a B-17 with it and a P-51.

"The opposite of war isn't peace, it's CREATION." _ Jonathan Larson, RENT -9.62, -9.13

by BeninSC on Sun Dec 09, 2012 at 06:28:50 PM PST

•  I've ridden (4+ / 0-)

In both the CAF B-17 and P-51. Two different dreams come true.

"'club America salutes you' says the girl on the door/we accept all major lies, we love any kind of fraud"--The Cure, "Club America"

by Wheever on Sun Dec 09, 2012 at 06:52:47 PM PST

•  Oh not cheap! (3+ / 0-)
          Otteray Scribe, Wheever, KenBee

I had to pass. Sadly. I'm sure both would be unforgettable experiences! I understand the need to fund the continued operation of those aircraft. I consider that very important! I just didn't have the disposable income for a flight when they were here. I did happily make a donation toward those expenses above walk-around admission price.

by BeninSC on Sun Dec 09, 2012 at 06:58:50 PM PST

•  The P-51 ride (3+ / 0-)
            BeninSC, KenBee, elfling

was my 50th birthday present from my wife, and it was fucking awesome! I know it was really expensive, but there was nothing on this earth she could have done to get closer to fulfilling this particular lifelong dream. (And compared to throwing a big party or something was actually quite reasonable.) One of the great moments of my life. Really, a dream come true.

The B-17 ride wasn't quite as astonishing, of course,  but it also wasn't as pricey. It was $450 for roughly 40 minutes of time in the plane. Once in the air, they let us roam around and try out all the positions. I got to land in the bombardier's seat.

I never, ever, thought in my life that I would get to ride in either of those planes. Ever.

I took both rides at the Mid-Atlantic Air Museum in Reading, PA. They have a big WWII weekend every year, the first weekend in June. I highly recommend attending!

by Wheever on Sun Dec 09, 2012 at 09:12:43 PM PST

•  2 seat Mustang? (1+ / 0-)
          KenBee

FDR 9-23-33, "If we cannot do this one way, we will do it another way. But do it we will.

by Roger Fox on Sun Dec 09, 2012 at 07:07:23 PM PST

•  Right? I had no idea, either! (2+ / 0-)
            KenBee, Roger Fox

It was a trainer originally, I guess.  Removed the fuselage fuel tank and put in a second position, complete with all controls. Regular sized canopy.

For the sake of air tourists, there was no stick, but the rudder pedals were there. I was allowed to rest my feet lightly on them, but was asked not to "try to control the aircraft." Heh. There was also still an airspeed indicator and altimeter.

by Wheever on Sun Dec 09, 2012 at 09:01:31 PM PST

•  Actutally, the TF-51 is a rare beast... (2+ / 0-)
              KenBee, Roger Fox

....what you generally see is an actual P-51, minus the amazingly large and heavy WW2 -era radio/communications gear, and a seat fitted into that space. Modern electronics being what they are this is quite viable.

'Per Ardua Ad Astra'

by shortfinals on Sun Dec 09, 2012 at 09:09:23 PM PST

•  I thought it was a fuel tank removed. (2+ / 0-)
                KenBee, Roger Fox

The instrumentation and whatnot was clearly pretty old, I would have said contemporary to the age of the plane, but I guess that's not the case. There were full controls, although the rear stick had been removed for this purpose. It was a full flying position, minus some of the engine controls.

This is the very plane in question, and it appears you are (of course) correct that it was not manufactured as a trainer. However, it doesn't say when the rear seat was added.

by Wheever on Sun Dec 09, 2012 at 09:23:57 PM PST

•  just saw one here in santa barbara Veteran's day (0+ / 0-)

which one I don't know.

My late uncle was lead navigator in his B24 and was shot down over his family's hometown Munich.

He was rescued as his name was finally seen and recognized and traded back, burns and all.
        Another uncle was lost flying a L-19 during christmas break in Italy, he was up because he couldn't ask anyone else to do it, he was the highest ranking soldier lost in battle in  ww2. His father also Captain USArmy DSC, his son also BG(ret) worked with von Braun in the space program.

This machine kills Fascists.

by KenBee on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 01:52:40 AM PST