View Diary: I Finally Got to Talk to a Republican About Election Night (257 comments)

•  I now have a bunch of very smart, (19+ / 0-)

very rich, very conservative business clients. I agree: NOT dumb.

Not really paying attention, other than to Fox financial news. They just buy off on the "47%" language, without any critical thinking.

I am beginning to dialogue with them... gently.

"I can't do it by myself. No president can. Remember: Change doesn't happen from the top. It happens because of you." B Obama, 2008

by nzanne on Sat Dec 08, 2012 at 06:32:16 AM PST

•  I had a chat just before the election with (22+ / 0-)

the husband of a friend, who is a financial advisor, smart as a whip, honest, decent and successful.   He and I were talking about Romney, and he expressed his distress that Romney had bought into all the Republican social issue stances. This made him very conflicted about voting.  He said, "I mean, he's on the correct side of the economic issues, I think we can all agree with that, but he should just live and let live."  My eyes popped out with the suggestion that Romney's economic "policies" were clearly superior.  The situation wasn't appropriate for a political argument, so I simply agreed with him on the social issues part.  But I think that for many "smart"people, the fact that Romney made a pile of money in "business" led them to the assumption that his economic policies would be good for the country.

“If we, citizens, do not support our artists, then we sacrifice our imagination on the altar of crude reality and we end up believing in nothing and having worthless dreams.” ~ Yann Martel

by SottoVoce on Sat Dec 08, 2012 at 07:46:49 AM PST

•  Financial Advisor <> smart (6+ / 0-)

My ex-wife's father was our financial advisor and he made millions playing the market but also made some dumb as rocks moves that I refused to follow him on because I actually looked around me and saw disturbing signs that didn't make sense.  It became clear that his business gave him a different set of rules and a different level of risk than the rest of us.  Once he attained a certain level of wealth, he was pretty much assured of keeping it even with wide swings in the economy.

Ultimately, financial strategy boils down to extremely simple concepts.  Pay close attention to the giant sine wave of ups and downs which equates to periods of greed and panic in investors and the age-old concept of buy cheap, sell high.

"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." -- Carl Sagan

by artmartin on Sat Dec 08, 2012 at 08:26:44 AM PST

•  Because your own experience and observations (1+ / 0-)
          artmartin

of a particular advisor (or, indeed, any profession) has been negative, it doesn't follow that every single person in that profession is equally bad.  Also, I didn't say all financial advisors were smart.  I said this man is.

The man I was describing is modest, decent, thoughtful and naturally conservative.  He doesn't really align with the description you give.

by SottoVoce on Sat Dec 08, 2012 at 08:48:06 AM PST

•  oh I didn't mean to imply (1+ / 0-)
            SottoVoce

that all financial advisors were dumb.  Just the title means nothing regarding their knowledge of economics.

by artmartin on Sat Dec 08, 2012 at 03:59:51 PM PST

•  Errr, How Are They Smart, if They (0+ / 0-)

are not paying attention?

Intelligence is not a requirement to become wealthy. and some wealthy people got that way merely because of inheritance; they didn't do a gdamn thing to earn their wealth.

"A civilization which does not provide young people with a way to earn a living is pretty poor". Eleanor Roosevelt

by Superpole on Sun Dec 09, 2012 at 05:46:58 AM PST