View Diary: What's Happenin'? Ham & Eggs Justice Week 12.11.12 (61 comments)

•  Good Morning, ham'n'eggers! (11+ / 0-)

Xmas Bouquet (click it for the large version)

That movie, Zero Dark Thirty is going to cause so much controversy. First, it bases the hunt for Osama bin Laden on torture and as one reviewer said, Dick Cheney will love it. Second, many Republicans will hate it because it is about what President Obama counts as his achievement. Third, it is so well-produced, directed and acted that movie buffs will be conflicted. At least one reviewer has praised the movie while deploring its morality.

The director says she used a journalistic approach, the screen writer says "it's just a movie." That's another conflict.

❧To thine ownself be true

by Agathena on Tue Dec 11, 2012 at 05:47:18 AM PST

•  I don't want to go see it. (9+ / 0-)

Just the reviews were enough to turn me off. I don't need to hear that torture helps us get info we need. Even if it's true (which I don't think it is), I don't think we should be any part of it.

•  It's dangerous propaganda because it comes in (7+ / 0-)

a well produced, directed and acted package.

I enjoyed Hurt Locker, another of Bigelow's award winning movies but the ending made it into a recruitment movie.

In the interview on the movie Zero Dark Thirty, the screen writer says there was so much urgency to get bin Laden because every delay meant that more people would be killed. Then Charlie Rose says, people are still being killed even after Osama bin Laden was killed.

There doesn't seem to be anything mentioned about the fact that Osama bin Laden was a sick old man or whether or not he was really active anymore. Was he really a threat under virtual house arrest in that villa?

❧To thine ownself be true

by Agathena on Tue Dec 11, 2012 at 05:59:30 AM PST

•  'Who funded it ' pops into my mind. Could it be (7+ / 0-)

perception management at work?

Move Single Payer Forward? Join 18,000 Doctors of PNHP and 185,000 member National Nurses United

by divineorder on Tue Dec 11, 2012 at 06:39:17 AM PST

•  One of the articles above (9+ / 0-)

talks about how it got made.   They mention Megan Ellison, mega billionaire Larry Ellison's daughter.   The production company is Annapurna Pictures:

Megan Ellison (born 1986) is an American film producer and founder of Annapurna Pictures. She is the daughter of billionaire Oracle Corporation CEO Larry Ellison and Barbara Boothe. Her brother is film producer David Ellison.

It's interesting that the video game business is involved in the promotion.  I'm glad I saw this so that I can tell my son up front that there is no freaking way we are getting this game.  So in addition to the film, now this story will be imprinted in millions of young minds via a video game (for those who don't know, video games are more like movies now than the games  you probably remember).
            Electronic Arts will promote Zero Dark Thirty in its video game Medal of Honor: Warfighter by offering downloadable maps of locations depicted in the film. Additional maps for the game will be made available on December 19, to coincide with the initial limited-release of the film. Electronic Arts will donate $1 to nonprofit organizations that support veterans for each Zero Dark Thirty map pack sold.[16]

"Justice is a commodity"

by joanneleon on Tue Dec 11, 2012 at 07:16:31 AM PST

•  There is a lot of fiction (6+ / 0-)

and mythology around the whole thing.

Plus, we know that there wasn't an urgent urgent goal of getting bin Laden because the idiot Bush told the country that he hardly even thinks about him.

The idea that the country and the world was under some horrible threat every day that bin Laden lived -- it's just not true.  If it was true, we would not be arming Al Qaeda militias in Libya and Syria.  And as you said, we don't even know if he was active.  Initial reports said that he didn't even run Al Qaeda anymore.

I'm really glad that Sen. Feinstein stepped up, as much as I really don't like her idea of governing overall, but I am really glad that she put that lie right out to the public and said that torture was did not lead to finding bin Laden.

And the screenwriter and director are all over the place right now with their stories about the movie being journalistic, and then saying it's fiction.  They claim that the torture situation is based on individual accounts that they were given.  Well it's interesting that one account is just like theirs and it is the account of the CIA agent who destroyed the torture tapes against orders of the court and who wrote a book saying that torture led to bin Laden, and he was discredited for that, and now that same POV shows up in this CIA propaganda movie.

What is  really disgusting is that most people will never know what Sen Feinstein and others said about the torture.  Most people will draw the exact conclusion that the writer and director intended and that will become a historical record, through fiction.

It's beyond disgusting.  This is not artistic license.  This is deceit.  And I don't believe for one minute that there was no agenda.  It is also interesting to note that the screenwriter was at one time one of the embedded journalists during the Iraq war.

"Justice is a commodity"

by joanneleon on Tue Dec 11, 2012 at 06:41:52 AM PST

•  Also (7+ / 0-)

after I watched that Charlie Rose interview that you pointed out to me, I have not been able to shake a certain grotesque feeling about it.  I still can't quite describe my feelings about it but the whole thing was "off".  There is something really off about the whole thing and though I hate to use the word, what I think I was sensing was evil.  Yes, evil. Evil, masquerading as elite film art and people in the movie business being put forward as some kind of beyond cool superheros of film.

"Justice is a commodity"

by joanneleon on Tue Dec 11, 2012 at 06:46:14 AM PST

•  The movie was started before the assassination (4+ / 0-)

of OBL. They were making a movie about the never-ending search and then after the assassination, they added that material with the help of the CIA, and the Special Forces.

Yes, you named it well Joanne. Watching those three people laughing and celebrating this work of art. it was "the banality of evil." One phrase haunts me  - when the Special Ops said "we do this everyday."

A new kind of action hero, men who gear up with the best technology, get into helicopters and go out and kill people in any country. No warrants, no arrests, no trials.

❧To thine ownself be true