View Diary: Never Cry Wolf - A Pack of Lies (188 comments)

•  To the extent that that makes any sense at all (0+ / 0-)

it is trolling.

"The commenter to whom [you] replied" does not exist, since you started this thread with a comment on the diary itself. Perhaps you're referring to the diarist, then, as not being the intended audience for your comment. But then, when the diarist replied to you, your response was:

you misunderstand me.
    as i knew you would.
    that was the point of the remark.
    So either you're trying to "draw [the diarist] out", which is pretty dickish behavior; or you're hijacking this comment thread in order to draw some mysterious third party out, which is very dickish behavior. Either way, you're acting like a dick. Please stop.

Just to be clear, I'm no fan of the diarist myself. I just really hate seeing people follow other folks around, whether into their diaries or elsewhere, to try to draw them into a fight. There's really nothing more disruptive to the community. Let's focus on issues, not personalities. (That last would be good advice for the diarist, too, from what I can see.)

Let us all have the strength to see the humanity in our enemies, and the courage to let them see the humanity in ourselves.

by Nowhere Man on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 09:35:07 AM PST

•  well, i don't actually follow this particular (0+ / 0-)

diarist around. he happened to be on a bit of a "Shrink, I Wanna Kill (Wolves)!" tear, so perhaps it seemed that way to you. sorry that i lost track of the fact that in this particular case, my original comment was at the top level, and not a response to one of his other comments in the diary, but that's not exactly a smoking gun, as far as conviction on trollery goes.

if handing a guy rhetorical rope with which to hang himself is dickish and trolling, then i suppose you were dismayed by Obama's invitation to Romney to proceed with making an ass of himself on the benghazi matter.

To put the torture behind us is, inevitably, to put it in front of us.

by UntimelyRippd on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 12:00:38 PM PST

•  You followed him once. That's more than enough. (0+ / 0-)

You posted a comment that was designed to be misunderstood (or so you say.) That's also more than enough.

You made no serious attempt to clear up any misunderstandings or to explain your position. You did not behave like someone who wants dialogue; you behaved like someone who wants to stir the pot.

In short, you acted like a dick. I'm not saying you are a dick; in fact, I'm pretty sure I've had some very good exchanges with you. But this time, you certainly acted like one.

by Nowhere Man on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 03:05:25 PM PST

•  i didn't follow him at all. (0+ / 0-)

i would have read the second diary regardless of who wrote it. i read the book in question before the diarist was born.

get off your freaking high horse. he published the damned diary as a big FUCK YOU to people who think that killing wolves for jollies is a Bad Thing To Do, because he simply doesn't think that killing anything (except, perhaps, humans) just for jollies is a Bad Thing To Do, and he thinks those of us who feel otherwise are sentimental naifs. he wouldn't know an ethic if it bit him in the dilemma. screw him.

To put the torture behind us is, inevitably, to put it in front of us.

by UntimelyRippd on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 06:25:37 PM PST

•  you seem to have made quite a few assumptions (0+ / 0-)

about why I write and what I say that I didn't actually say.

Not sure when you were born but if it's that long ago I'd of thought you'd of learned some manners. The exchange above doesn't put you in a very good light.

How big is your personal carbon footprint?

by ban nock on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 08:06:26 PM PST

•  Sorry you feel that way (0+ / 0-)

but I don't see it as a big FUCK YOU at all. I'm against wolf hunting, too -- but not because of Never Cry Wolf. I read it around the same time you did, and was very skeptical about its authenticity -- especially (IIRC) after reading the last chapter.

And you seem very hung up on my use of the word "follow". The fact is that you said you tailored your comments to provoke a reaction out of this specific diarist. That's the dickish part. The rest is mere dicta.

by Nowhere Man on Thu Dec 13, 2012 at 04:59:52 AM PST