Skip to main content

View Diary: Refusing a woman a license in her wife's name. We're winning, but bigoted idiocy continues (107 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  Legal name change isn't easy in WV (redux) (4+ / 0-)

    Ms. Landis can't legally change her name in West Virginia. First she'd have to live there for at least a year. Then she needs to meet one of the enumerated "sufficient reasons" for changing a name, and a same sex marriage isn't on the list.

    Perhaps she could get a US passport, then use that to prove that her name is already changed.

    "How to Make a Legal Name Change in West Virginia

    1. Meet the residency and age requirements. To change your name in West Virginia, you must have been a resident of the state for at least one year. Further, you must have resided in the same county for at least a year before you can file your petition with the county court. Anyone who wants to change their name must be at least 18 years old.

    2. Understand the reasons allowed for a name change. West Virginia law allows citizens to change their name only in certain circumstances. You must be able to show the court sufficient reasons that a name change is consistent with the public interest. The most common reasons for meeting this requirement are: name change upon dissolution of marriage, divorce, or remarriage....."

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site