View Diary: Why? CNN and NPR Present a Potpourri of Tragic Mulattoes Before a National Audience (285 comments)

•  You tackle some really important topics. (11+ / 0-)

Though this diary is a bit disorganized, I'm T'ing and R'ing.

On the NPR program, this "listener-sponsored" station used to be all cutting-edge, but it has been so watered-down to appease Republicans and "social conservatives"--who don't watch NPR, anyway, I might add. I didn't see the show you mention, but I don't have a problem believing it was patronizing.

Yes, biracial people are "tragic" and "maladjusted." So are lbgt people. So, get right down to it, are any women who do other than parrot RW talking points.

I hope you called the station and complained.

It's here they got the range/ and the machinery for change/ and it's here they got the spiritual thirst. --Leonard Cohen

by karmsy on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 10:49:06 AM PST

•  i love suggestions, i am balancing a few different (17+ / 0-)

things---a story, a comment about 2 shows, and a big issue about identity. the story component was a bit organic and spontaneous so i let it stand.  comes from the heart and is relevant.

i juggle lots of things and try to play with different voices in my writing. can always be improved.

offer up some specific suggestions.

•  I just read your piece again. (3+ / 0-)
        Larsstephens, smartdemmg, kyril

I think the basic theme you're grappling with, is the amount of sympathy you have for AAs who want to be white, instead. Yes, we can understand it from one point of view. It's so difficult to be AA, this culture denies so much opportunity due to race affiliation, some AAs might want to "pass." Perhaps that's perfectly understandable. On the other hand, as you say, there are many good things that come from being AA, owing directly to that culture's tradition of care for, and support of, others inside the community and out.

I wish you had gone deeper in to this, and perhaps used fewer examples, or used them very thoughtfully. Sometimes, one powerful example can very memorable, because it has unexpected resonance.

by karmsy on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 11:29:29 AM PST

•  styles make fights (13+ / 0-)

maybe in another piece at another time.

i thought my examples were pretty thoughtful, real, and honest. but point taken.

i do not have any sympathy for those tragic mulattoes. i think they are sad, a very pathetic lot full of internalized racism. the npr story is well worth listening to. do check it out.

what i am trying to set up is the rational pragmatic logic of the race traitor vs. a different type of evolved pride, strength, and pride that comes with what we used to call "knowledge of self" back in the day.

those young people are an example of a huge failure of parenting. that is worth its own post on another day.

thanks for the thoughts.

•  I agree. (5+ / 0-)
            And they aren't the least bit original. Quite a few white people are finding out about black ancestors in their DNA tests. Not every case but a lot of those people's ancestors simply let themselves be absorbed into the white community and never looked back.

But crying about being privileged in this day and age? Irritating.

Until these folks start getting followed in stores, stopped by police, shot by police, imprisoned and suspected of crime and denied unemployment as much as it happens to darker skinned black people, they sound like a buncha whiners. I know I don't have an existing criminal record because I'm not profiled as one on sight and therefore, I come into much less contact with law enforcement than darker people. I can get jobs that people with criminal records can't even think about applying for. That's just one example of the ways I unintentionally escape a lot of the stress of being black.

I'd rather use this preserved energy to stand up for people with real life shattering racial problems and obstacles.

"It's not enough to acknowledge privilege. You have to resist." -soothsayer

by GenXangster on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 04:19:45 PM PST

•  I thought your piece flowed smoothly from start (0+ / 0-)

to finish.

(Just one quibble, and that's first annual. In the AP style book this is a no-no because until there's a second event it's not annual, no matter your intentions. Sorry, after a couple of decades as a reporter I can't see that usage without cringing.)

•  I rather enjoyed it. (2+ / 0-)
          blueoasis, Lying eyes

Just the way it was written.  You are most certainly welcome to expand within your own diary.

Sheesh.  Really people.

•  But even when someone chooses to pass (1+ / 0-)
          kyril

black folk are not generally resentful... especially if it is working out for them...I never considered the hypothetical of what if I were white because it would be as silly to me  as if I pondered what if I were pregnant; I've known from a very early age that both of those are impossible...

Fear doesn't just breed incomprehension. It also breeds a spiteful, resentful hate of anyone and everyone who is in any way different from you.

by awesumtenor on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 09:30:09 PM PST

•  I liked your diary. Soledad O'Brien (12+ / 0-)

Tells this story of being confronted by a white man who asked her, as a 9 y.o. child, whether she was black or white. The precocious Soledad asked the man how would her answer make him think differently of her. That blew me away.

I've always said that a integral part of being black in America is when your child must confront it and you have to explain it. It is heartbreaking because you just want them to be innocent and carefree and have their childhood. In ways I think it is worse for black girls as they learn quickly that they will never attain the 'beauty' ideal that they are submerged in (I was one of those little girls, like Whoopie, that played with a pillowcase for hair).

The Pike County folks aren't alone in their assessment that it is too 'hard' being black. As Chris Rock points out, with all of his money, there is not a white man who would want to trade places with him.

"I feel like I'm still waiting to meet my true self. I'm assuming it's gonna be in a dark alley and there's gonna be a fight." ---Rachel Maddow

by never forget 2000 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 01:58:15 PM PST

•  The South African jazz pianist... (3+ / 0-)
          never forget 2000, tardis10, offgrid

...Chris McGregor was white.  He kept getting hassled by the police for playing gigs with black musicians.

Finally he went to the government office and demanded to be reclassified as black.

Freedom isn't "on the march." Freedom dances.

by WarrenS on Tue Dec 11, 2012 at 06:26:49 AM PST