View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Live Digest: 12/11 (430 comments)

•  a birther got reelected in a D+1 (3+ / 0-)
    BeloitDem, DCCyclone, MichaelNY

How did we screw that up?

•  Incumbency matters (3+ / 0-)
      wwmiv, DCPatriot, jncca

It matters a lot, in fact.

•  Stronger candidate would have been better (4+ / 0-)

Miklosi put up a great fight and came close even though Coffman outraised and outspent him handily. Which by the way is part of the problem.

Coffman will be a top target in 2014 guaranteed.

•  Sen. Morgan Carroll would have cleaned up. (2+ / 0-)
        SLDemocrat, MichaelNY

Age 23. Voting in NJ-03. Lived most of life in NJ-01. Had Rush Holt represent me during my undergrad years and am now represented by Frank Pallone in my grad school.

by KingofSpades on Tue Dec 11, 2012 at 09:47:47 AM PST

•  is she that strong? (1+ / 0-)
          MichaelNY

She comes off as the most interesting woman in the world on her web page and she's moved up fairly quickly in the state senate. I think Dems would love her, but does she have much crossover appeal? I suspect that she would have raised more $ than Miklosi which might have enabled her to squeak past Coffman (who is a poor fit for the new lines), but I don't think she would have blown him out.

SSP poster. 43, new CA-6, -0.25/-3.90

by sacman701 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 at 10:33:31 AM PST

•  Miklosi put up a lousy fight (2+ / 0-)
        sawolf, MichaelNY

He was weak, didn't seem to try to raise money.  You have a wingnut foe with inflammatory rhetoric and votes, you can convert that into money.  He didn't.

Very poor recruiting in this district.

44, male, Indian-American, married and proud father of a girl and 2 boys, Democrat, VA-10

by DCCyclone on Tue Dec 11, 2012 at 06:12:03 PM PST

•  There was a former Democrat (7+ / 0-)

On the ballot who ran as an independent, Kathy Polhemus. I wrote about this at length. She got 13K votes. Coffman won by 7K.

Political Director, Daily Kos

by David Nir on Tue Dec 11, 2012 at 09:17:47 AM PST

•  And I wrote about it at length (1+ / 0-)
        MichaelNY

even before this... here.

Here is my prophetic quote:

Yep this is a real problem right here - Kathy Polhemus might as well be Mike Coffman's campaign chair. Blah blah blah I am a moderate - system is broken - I will get 2 or 3% of the vote to give Coffman an edge. I love how this former Democrat has to pick a race where she can function as a devastating spoiler. As I write this, I am struggling to be polite - but I can't see how this is anything but a real vanity project.
        But I guess to get real for a second, nominating a Denver based Liberal rather than an Aurora based nominee opened the door for this spoiler.

Town Planner, 30 years Old, Election Junkie, "If you agree with Bush's economic policy, Cheney's foreign policy, and Santorum's social policy, you loved Romney's speech" - James Carville (aka the Ragin Cajun) on the Colbert Report

by CF of Aus on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 01:05:48 AM PST

•  We can't always control these things (1+ / 0-)
          MichaelNY

If Polhemus really wanted her 15 minutes in the sun, she wouldn't have cared if Joe Miklosi was everyone in the district's priest, rabbi, and godfather -- she would have run anyway.

Keeper of the DKE glossary. Priceless: worth a lot; not for sale.

by SaoMagnifico on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 01:11:43 AM PST

•  We cant control them but with Miklosi (1+ / 0-)
            MichaelNY

we were a little bit more vulnerable to an Aurora independent like her.  But yes once on the ballot she always going to siphon a few votes no matter who the Dem was.

I dont think he was a bad candidate at all... But he couldnt raise cash quick enough unfortunately.

Next cycle !

by CF of Aus on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 01:15:40 AM PST

•  Well, I think it really hurt... (2+ / 0-)
              MichaelNY, CF of Aus

That the DCCC didn't keep their eye on the ball in that case. They missed a few opportunities they sort of dipped their toes in but never really doubled down on -- NE-02, which was agonizingly winnable and received very little investment at all, comes to mind -- and maybe if resources and attention hadn't been diverted to the fools' gold that was CO-03, Miklosi could have been pushed over the finish line in CO-06.

Keeper of the DKE glossary. Priceless: worth a lot; not for sale.

by SaoMagnifico on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 01:20:15 AM PST

•  Sadly prescient (eom) (1+ / 0-)
          MichaelNY

Political Director, Daily Kos

by David Nir on Thu Dec 13, 2012 at 04:42:13 PM PST

•  Our candidate didn't have a natural base (4+ / 0-)
      skibum59, ArkDem14, DCCyclone, MichaelNY

allowing the incumbent to hold on to ancestrally GOP areas in the district that were used to voting for him.  The district did change significantly, but of the areas that were common to the old CO-06 (South Aurora and north Douglas County), Coffman cleaned up.

I underestimated just how red those areas could still go.  Obama drawing close to even in those precincts is a more recent phenomenon for Democrats.

I think we'll get this one within the next two elections.  Just need a better candidate.