View Diary: If CNN Made a "White in America" TV Series What Questions Would You Like to See Featured? (135 comments)

•  I see what you did there. (11+ / 0-)

It's pretty offensive to be examined like a curious mutation of "normal" human culture.

I would like for a hypothetical "White in America" show to ask if white people ever have to ponder about why their white male child has nothing but posters of black women fictional characters on their wall?

I mentioned in another diary that my 13 year old daughter's wall is covered with Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, Indiana Jones, Luke Skywalker, Gordon Freeman, etc. Nothing but white dudes. Even the cartoons. Bob the Builder. Jimmy Neutron.

What if their white boy child had posters of Oprah, Columbiana (Zoe Saldana), Rue (Hunger Games), Michonne (The Walking Dead), Nairobi (The Matrix), Madea (Tyler Perry), etc. on his bedroom walls? Nothing but black women. Would that seem curious to them?

I'm guessing it would be a bit weird. Black women are absent from a lot of media. I had to struggle to come up with examples. A white boy with these posters would be considered curious and questions would be raised as to whether or not he has some kindda unhealthy fetish.

But my daughter? Oh, she's just a geek and geeky stuff never includes little black girls. Fans usually prefer the lead. The lead is always a white man. Perfectly logical.

I wonder how many white people think about these kinds of things when viewing the world through the eyes of their children.

"It's not enough to acknowledge privilege. You have to resist." -soothsayer

by GenXangster on Tue Dec 11, 2012 at 01:16:42 PM PST

•  Exactly (8+ / 0-)

Reminds me of when my son (bi-racial) was younger and going to a birthday party and the party girl (white) was Barbie obsessed. A white friend of his was with us and said "But party girl isn't black" and son said " so " .

It's ingrained in society that "black" dolls are for black kids but white dolls are for everyone.

I laughed all night when friend's mom called me and said that her son insisted on getting party girl a different black Barbie so my son's gift wouldn't be all alone among the Barbies.

The story of me being willing to buy anything BUT Barbie, regardless of color, is a whole nother post.

We view "The Handmaid's Tale" as cautionary. The GOP views it as an instruction book.

by Vita Brevis on Tue Dec 11, 2012 at 01:41:03 PM PST

•  I think I mentioned this elsewhere (2+ / 0-)
      GenXangster, Oh Mary Oh

But get your daughter into the Avatar series.

They're not black, as the series is based on Asian (and I do mean Asian, every corner of that continent) sensibilities, but a major supporting character of the first cartoon is a dark-ish skinned girl from an Inuit-based culture, and the lead of the second is a teenager from the same.

Is this just math that you do as a Republican to make yourself feel better?

by ConfusedSkyes on Tue Dec 11, 2012 at 02:57:21 PM PST

•  It's flipping awesome that your daughter (1+ / 0-)
      GenXangster

has a Gordon Freeman poster :)

15 years old and fighting like hell to make a difference, Tomorrowsprogressives.com

by TomorrowsProgressives on Tue Dec 11, 2012 at 04:40:50 PM PST

•  Aint it? :-) (0+ / 0-)

When I was pregnant with her, I used to watch her father play the first generation Half-Life for hours. I know a lot of the story even though the only game I play is The Sims (3).

When my daughter plays The Sims, she always makes a "Freeman" family. All redheads. LOL Gordon made it out of the Black Mesa thing alive and settled down and made a family. ;-P

"It's not enough to acknowledge privilege. You have to resist." -soothsayer

by GenXangster on Tue Dec 11, 2012 at 06:43:24 PM PST

•  This is so so true: (1+ / 0-)
      GenXangster

"But my daughter? Oh, she's just a geek and geeky stuff never includes little black girls."

No geeky stuff, no exciting stuff, no adventure stuff. My granddaughter polished off the Harry Potter series in record time; then she wanted more. But she wanted the next ones to feature an African American character- and it had to be the lead character.

So we're at this giant book fair and I'm trying to help her find something that would fill the bill- didn't even have to be magic, could be an adventure or detective series. And it had to be contemporary- no more brave little girls on the Underground Railroad.

We found zip. She loves to write, so I said maybe it just hasn't been written yet, and maybe you're the one to write it. She said "I just don't think I should have to", and I said "well you're right about that".
      BTW - If anyone has a recommendation, I'm all ears.

•  I can't really think of one damn (1+ / 0-)
        gramofsam1

exciting mainstream story with a black girl as the lead. I'm all for recommendations, too.

"It's not enough to acknowledge privilege. You have to resist." -soothsayer