View Diary: Are Democrats abandoning raising the Medicare eligibility age? (202 comments)

•  why, the party of moderate Republicanism (2+ / 0-)
    marty marty, kovie

the wealth-defending corporatist Wall-St-loving yet non-racist and non-religious-fanatic party of Big Business. Founding member, Bill Clinton.

we're seeing it form in the state senates of NY and WA right now. Blue Dogs and Republicans--although to get it just right, those senates would have to shed their crazy Tea Party Republicans.

There are some things that are unforgivable. Your willingness to play political games while people suffer and die is one of them--Onomastic

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Tue Dec 11, 2012 at 10:42:14 PM PST

•  See a comment (0+ / 0-)

I just posted on WH efforts to court these people.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 07:30:32 AM PST

•  He's *still* pushing the lower corporate tax rates (0+ / 0-)

Gargh.

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 05:35:16 PM PST

•  I thought that they were pushing it, not him? (0+ / 0-)

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 05:40:52 PM PST

•  well, honestly, it's hard for me to tell. (0+ / 0-)

maybe that time he spent sitting in Rosa Parks' bus might help him out. there's always the possibility of a road-to-Damascus moment.

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 06:45:05 PM PST

•  Huh? (0+ / 0-)

How does his not being old enough to have taken part in the civil rights era count against him? Didn't he put some time in as an organizer and lawyer?

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 06:50:41 PM PST

•  no, no, not what I meant (0+ / 0-)

what I meant was: sitting in Rosa Parks' seat might bring out the good in him. the principled side.

A thousand Sharkeys are invading a thousand Shires every day across our country.--James Wells

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 07:08:06 PM PST

•  I imagine that he's seen and been subjected (0+ / 0-)

to similar things in his life, and certainly knows people who were. I don't think that a lack of exposure to racism is Obama's problem. I think he just tends to live inside his head too much, where things are much simpler sometimes.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 07:18:11 PM PST

•  OK, I'm not expressing myself clearly (1+ / 0-)
                    kovie

I am sure Obama has experienced racism.

Recently, he went and sat in Rosa Parks' actual seat on the actual bus she rode (it's in storage somewhere)

there was a photo of the event here on DK, which is how I knew about it

I am hoping that sitting there and thinking about how she did the right thing under difficult circumstances, to her own detriment (getting arrested) will make him more willing to make the hard but right decisions that would put him at odds with billionaires and others who have a lot of power and few ethics.

Does that make sense?

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 07:21:13 PM PST

•  Ok, now I get what you're saying (0+ / 0-)

I didn't know that he did this. First time I'm hearing of it. I thought that you meant that had he gone through what Parks had gone through back in the 50's, he might be more progressive. Talk about talking past each other!

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777