View Diary: Books So Bad They're Good: Sparkly Vampires and Rainmaking Hunters (151 comments)

•  can't donate blood (12+ / 0-)

When the Ft. Hood shooting happened, I pulled up the Red Cross site about donating blood, and they still don't want mine. (I lived in the wrong places at the wrong times).

Have never read a Twilight book, or seen the movies. I can't believe Meyer says it is feminist because Bella.... omg, I can't even repeat that crap.

I read the Sookie Stackhouse books, they were ok, if a little steamy for my taste. Good to know not to bother with Anita Blake.

•  I can't donate because of meds (7+ / 0-)

that I take and my lungs are almost never stable enough either. But Dad and Caedy both donate.

by FloridaSNMOM on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 06:54:59 PM PST

•  I was terrified of needles for years (7+ / 0-)

Thanks to an unfortunate event involving my flu shot when I was about two and I flexed my arm.  wince

Now - I just roll my sleeve.  It's easy :)

•  needles don't bother me... (3+ / 0-)
          Aunt Pat, MT Spaces, Ahianne

I've had so many IV's, hep locks, and blood draws due to asthma/copd that there are areas they can't use any longer. I'm just on too many prescriptions now, they won't let me donate.

The only tome I cringe away from needles is when they utter the words "I have an order for a blood gas."  OUCH

by FloridaSNMOM on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 07:43:33 PM PST

•  Are those needles really huge? (3+ / 0-)
            MT Spaces, Aunt Pat, FloridaSNMOM
            •  No... not huge. (1+ / 0-)
              Ahianne

but they have to draw from an artery, and they usually use the inner wrist, which not only hurts like Hades, but always gets my carpal tunnel flaring for like a week. It's nothing like a regular IV stick or blood draw. I've only ever had one Phlebotomist who drew from my elbow and managed not to kill my carpal on a blood ox. Most of them aren't willing to try there (at least the ones in my local hospital).

by FloridaSNMOM on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 07:34:30 AM PST

•  AAAAIIIIEEEE (0+ / 0-)

Then again, I've heard that the absolute worst is either a spinal tap or a marrow draw from the pelvic bone.  Thank God they put you under for the later.

•  Cataract surgery (1+ / 0-)
                  FloridaSNMOM

You get several injections around the eye, but then they stick you in the face using a syringe the size of a turkey baster. For the first eye, the nurse-anesthetist was really good, and the injection didn't hurt much. For the second (different day) I had a graduate of the Torquemada School of Nursing and it was really painful, and he was rude.

Either way, they inject you with so much stuff that it's tender around the eye socket for a while after, but not horrible. The actual surgery is a breeze - less than 10 minutes, and because it's your eye, you can't see a thing they're doing to it. I've had worse dental appointments.

In Soviet Russia, you rob bank. In America, bank robs you.

by badger on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 11:16:17 AM PST

•  They don't always. (0+ / 0-)

I had one with just local when they were looking into my platelet shortage. Marrow draws are a real pain in the ass.

Cogito, ergo Democrata.

by Ahianne on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 05:26:18 PM PST

•  My apheresis setup has two needles (3+ / 0-)
          Ahianne, old wobbly, BYw

So I don't get to read during the process. They turn on television or let me pick a movie and I'm set for the next 100 minutes. If I'm doing it on the weekend it guarantees that I get to see much of Chris Hayes and Melissa Harris-Perry.

Let me take a moment to mock the FDA for its really, really stupid questions that it insists that the Red Cross asks  every time before the donations begin. I guess the questionnaire might be useful the first time (but if I were a recipient of donated blood, I certainly would want the blood tested, not just rely on a questionnaire), but asking the same history every time seems calculated to annoy. The dumbest, of course, is "do I call myself male or female?" It's biology. I can tell the Red Cross that I'm composed of three sexes, but that doesn't affect blood cells. Foolish, foolish, foolish.

Hey, hey, NRA, how many kids did you kill today?

by freelunch on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 07:18:52 AM PST

•  I sell my plasma. (4+ / 0-)
            Black Max, freelunch, Ahianne, BYw

Two draws of 800 mL nets me $55.

That's the money we live on at this point.

I have my iPod for music and my Kindle for books, and I turn on the music and read until I get cold because they're running the saline in, and then I get ready to leave.

They use a 15 gauge needle. Even if I stopped today, I would bear a scar in the crook of my left arm for the rest of my life.

When you come to find how essential the comfort of a well-kept home is to the bodily strength and good conditions, to a sound mind and spirit, and useful days, you will reverence the good housekeeper as I do above artist or poet, beauty or genius.

by Alexandra Lynch on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 08:47:36 AM PST

•  Yours is still using two needles? (3+ / 0-)
            Alexandra Lynch, freelunch, Ahianne

My donation site uses only one, which can get funky when the machine stops drawing and starts pumping the plasma, red cells, and anticoagulant back into my vein.  It feels like a weird little extra pulse.

As for the questionnaire...shrug  I answer the questions, they go into my file, I hop onto the table and roll up my sleeve.  They're annoying but I've answered worse :)

•  Allegedly it goes faster because its continuous (0+ / 0-)

I've done single needle for plasma, but for platelets they use double (for a triple). They only collect platelets (and whole blood) at my location, no plasma any more.

Hey, hey, NRA, how many kids did you kill today?

by freelunch on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 12:20:41 PM PST

•  It still wouldn't be fast, I imagine (2+ / 0-)
                freelunch, old wobbly

You'd still need to spin the blood and return it, which means a longer draw than when donating whole blood.  Platelets are tiny...and I was shocked to realize that an IV bag full of them looks like chicken gravy.  Weird.

•  I still am terrified of them. (0+ / 0-)

People being killed with chainsaws doesn't phase me.  But when they bring out the hypo needle, even in a film, I have to cover my eyes.  I'm such a wuss.

Also, shiny dental tools scare the CRAP out of me.  If they could give them all matte surfaces, they wouldn't scare me as much.  It's the SHINY metallic ones that push my panic button.

Remember that David Cronenberg film, Dead Ringers, and those "Gynecological Instruments for Performing Surgery on Mutant Women?"  That horrified me more than anything else in the film.  It turned out they were designed for the film by H.R. Giger.

•  The only Cronenberg film I've seen is Existenz (0+ / 0-)

Which which was pretty disgusting but fortunately didn't feature any exploding heads or shiny surgical instruments.  It have one good line - "Death to the demoness, Allegra Geller!" - but otherwise it was too clever by half.

•  Oh, you are missing so, so much. (0+ / 0-)

David Cronenberg's films are in a class all their own.

Try Crash(1996).  It's hard to describe.  A man (James Spader) who is somewhat numb to life has a car accident, and in the hospital, he meets a discreet group of car-crash fetishists.  It's not clear at first that that's what they are.  They collect car crash photos, they reenact famous car crashes, sometimes they just crash cars into each other with sometimes fatal results.  At first he's just curious about what these people are doing, and then he realizes he's attracted to it and they sensed it.

•  I donate for friends (6+ / 0-)

Two dear friends would love to donate, but they have awful veins.  So I donate with them in mind, too.  I'm not quite the platelet factory that one of my fellow donors is (a triple dose every two weeks!) but I'm getting there.

•  not like I had a choice but who would'a thought (7+ / 0-)

living in North Africa & Central Europe would haunt me 30 years later? (even more so than memories of 8th, 9th, 11th grades? Senior year sucked too, just marginally less)

I was really surprised those restrictions were still on. I really wanted to donate when Ft Hood happened -- right up the road,  about 1.5 hour drive, really wanted to do something, anything. But it was on their page, couldn't do it.

•  Blood banks always accept snacks (6+ / 0-)

They make us eat and drink afterwards.  Snack packs, cookies, fruit - they're always welcome.  I used to give packages of cookies before I started donating.

•  Chances are the FDA is wasting an opportunity (0+ / 0-)

They could test for the risk instead of automatic deferral, but simple mindless rules seem easier. It's not like some of the drugs that can cause permanent risk to others.

I am quite willing to donate as needed, but I cannot wait until blood donations are a thing of the past. Artificial blood will be safer, available when needed, and likely not more expensive than the current system. It just takes time to get there.

Hey, hey, NRA, how many kids did you kill today?

by freelunch on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 07:23:23 AM PST

•  The deferrals at my plasma center: (2+ / 0-)
            quarkstomper, Ahianne

Lived in or traveled to Europe or Central Africa.
            Taking certain medications (all medications must be cleared before your first donation.)
            Pregnancy in the last six months.
            Sex with another man  or sex with a man who has had sex with another man, if you are female.
            Jail for longer than three days or intimate contact with someone known to have viral hepatitis.
            Heart, lung, liver or kidney disease, cancer, diabetes, abnormal bleeding, epilepsy, or convulsions.
            Recent vaccinations.
            Surgery or dental work within the last six months.
            Donation of plasma elsewhere in the last seven days, or whole blood within the previous four months.
            Recent smallpox vaccination or close contact with the vaccination site of someone else.
            Cold, flu, or sore throat in the past two weeks.
            Ever had or been treated for syphilis or gonorrhea.

So I don't donate whole blood when disasters hit; it screws up my income stream for the next four months, and I can't afford that.

by Alexandra Lynch on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 08:57:51 AM PST

•  My blood bank doesn't ask about jail or surgery (0+ / 0-)

And in fact, I could have donated a month after my anoplasty in 2010.  I actually asked for an extra month off to build up my strength - but then again, my surgery took place at the same hospital where I donate so they knew I hadn't had a transfusion.

•  Well, given the population they're drawing from (0+ / 0-)

it's not entirely surprising.

There's a whole lot of American stupid in the waiting room, along with a surprising amount of working and middle class people just trying to get by despite the systematic screwing from the system.

by Alexandra Lynch on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 11:46:58 AM PST

•  Are they even close to this? (0+ / 0-)
            •  Not as close as we would like (0+ / 0-)

There have been some breakthroughs, but it may be a decade or so before we see real progress. It appears that the Japanese have been working hard on this.

Hey, hey, NRA, how many kids did you kill today?

by freelunch on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 12:23:26 PM PST

•  Can't because of ITP, (0+ / 0-)

..idiopathic thrombocytic purpura, which translates to a shortage of platelets for no apparent reason. I have it mildly, bruise a bit easily and clot a bit slowly, and was allowed to donate for several years. Then they changed the guidelines.

I was an early Anita Blake fan, before Hamilton decided to substitute sex for story.

Cogito, ergo Democrata.