View Diary: 3,500 Comments Later, Racist Conservatives Apparently Don't Like Jamie Foxx and Django Very Much (151 comments)

•  I wonder how these people you quoted (37+ / 0-)

reacted to movies such as "Rob Roy" (Sir Walter Scott's novel that was based loosely on the life of a Scot raider and patriot) and 'Braveheart' (very loosely based on the life of William Wallace).

Both those movies focused on a man seeking revenge for harm done to his family and his country. In 'Braveheart', it explicitly shows that rape of Wallace's wife was his first and foremost reason for revenge upon the invading English.

Somehow I think most of these people would never compare the stories of "Braveheart", "Rob Roy" to that of "Django Unchained".

"Django Unchained" on our list of movies to see the week between Christmas and New Year. We'll be cheering for the black guy.

"We have two parties in this country right now. One party is a center-right party that believes that it is unseemly to let old people die in the streets. And the other party is insane." Charles P Pierce

by NMRed on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 10:40:46 AM PST

•  That was the unwritten rule (17+ / 0-)

my POC racsist KKK uncle and his merry band of 'good 'ol boys' lived by. He was my introduction to racism. I was a left coast seven year old exposed to 1960 Memphis TN. Even my child's mind saw through the inhumanity being served up as the norm, at least in the Jim Crow South. It was also the first time I saw my father unable to disguise his disgust for my mother's socially retarded brother. That trip to the south in the spring of 1960 was the birth of my liberal progressive life long belief system. Thank you for your diary.

“When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.” ― Groucho Marx

by Sam Sara on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 11:25:45 AM PST

•  And speaking of Memphis, (9+ / 0-)

the evening MLK was assassinated, a news flash came on tv. My dad was upstairs on the crapper. I went to the door and said, "Hey, Dad, the tv just said someone shot Martin Luther King. He's dead."
          My father's response was, "Someone shoulda killed his old man 50 years ago."

I was stunned. I was 12 years old. I began seeing my own father in a different light at that very moment. I lost some respect for him and started questioning, in my mind, every single opinion he expressed from then on.

Yes, his tune has changed since 1968. Some of the family in my generation and those ensuing have married interracially. His outlook is very different, now that there are black people he loves. He is a registered republican who hasn't voted republican since Eisenhower, in his estimation, "the last good republican that ever ran for office".

It was difficult having that in my family. It is gratifying that each ensuing generation is more enlightened than the previous one. My family has come a long way. But I will never forget that evening and the brief conversation at the bathroom door. My father could not have been in a more appropriate place to have uttered those words.

I believe in democracy, civil liberties, and the rule of law. That makes me a liberal, and I’m proud of it. - Paul Krugman

by Gentle Giant on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 12:49:33 PM PST

•  The pride of my life, (4+ / 0-)

my daughter, is the epitome of what a post racial America will become.

Those times when there is doubt that your child listens to you, wait until you hear her promote ideals you prayed, with some small chance in an infinite universe, she actually heard.

It can work both ways, a child exposed to compassion sees humanity as one. A child exposed to bigotry sees only others. Encourage the first and pray for the second.

by Sam Sara on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 01:09:58 PM PST

•  Beautifully put, Sam Sara. (5+ / 0-)

I have taken quiet pride in my sons' political and social views, very much modeled on my own, and have taken the same pride when I hear my Dad utter something almost verbatim that I have said to him.

In a different vane, my AZ cousin, my parents and I were discussing CA's pro-marriage equality legislation. My dad said, "I just can't seem to get my head around gays."

I said, "Dad, look at it this way. You worked your way up to Chief in the volunteer fire department. You were on the Boy Scout merit badge board of review. You've been a deacon in the church for years. You were a little league coach. Your career was working for the state helping juvenile delinquents find the right path. And you never turned down any of our friends when they came to you for help.
              How would you like to be judged solely on what others imagine you do in bed?"

He got real thoughtful and said, "I've never thought of it that way." Guess who is pro-marriage equality now.
              I think his transition was also helped when he learned one of his buddies he used to work and hang out with is a cross-dresser. Nothing helps one come to grips like knowing, respecting and caring for someone of one of those "other" groups.

by Gentle Giant on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 01:55:09 PM PST

•  Wow, (3+ / 0-)

a very interesting comment. Thank you for sharing this.

The only foes that threaten America are the enemies at home, and those are ignorance, superstition, and incompetence. - Elbert Hubbard -9.62/-8.15

by GustavMahler on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 01:46:18 PM PST

•  See Inglorious Bastards and I would wager (10+ / 0-)

much moola that some of the people who commented with such vitriol enjoyed that movie.

That QT has done this, isn't lost on some of us moviephiles, I think he planned this out in advance and was quietly laughing to himself when IG came out.

--Enlighten the people, generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like spirits at the dawn of day. - Thomas Jefferson--

by idbecrazyif on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 11:38:38 AM PST

•  I agree... (3+ / 0-)
          idbecrazyif, GenXangster, sethtriggs

though I think QT had evil motives for inspiring the vitriol.  He is talented, but I cannot stand him.  His drug use has ruined his scriptwriting, IMHO; at least during the kill bill days.

Although if I had written Pulp Fiction, I don't think I could've topped that in any way at all.

Buy Aldus Shrugged : The Antidote to Ayn Rand, and tear Ayn and the GOP new orifices. Plus, I get a small royalty, and Jeff Bezos and his employees get the rest. Not a bad deal, as CEO Bezos is not much of a dick, relatively speaking. @floydbluealdus1

by Floyd Blue on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 11:49:05 AM PST

•  LOL Interesting.... (23+ / 0-)

"Why nobody was mad when I made the revenge pr0n about the Nazis getting their comeuppance in the French movie theater?"

If he planned it like that, I gotta take my hat off to QT.

I dare anybody to defend the Nazis in that film. Germans don't give a shit about "Inglorious" OR "Valkyrie". Why should they take it personally? It's not Nazi Germany anymore.

Why should these white people be so offended by slave owners getting their comeuppance? They still identify with slave owners? I wouldn't. Those guys are deader than Nazis. It's the identity of white that they confuse with slave owners. Their problem, not mine.

And when we identify with slaves, they tear us apart for bringing up the past. "None of you are slaves!"

Well, none of them are slave owners so why the defensiveness when we talk about our ancestral legacy? They no longer carry the stigma of their slave owning ancestors but we still carry the stigma of the slave.

"It's not enough to acknowledge privilege. You have to resist." -soothsayer

by GenXangster on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 11:52:36 AM PST

•  Bingo (2+ / 0-)
            GenXangster, SilentBrook

by idbecrazyif on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 12:24:16 PM PST

•  This x a THOUSAND (5+ / 0-)

I took a class on the antebellum period last semester at my southern state university. I couldn't believe the resentment boiling beneath almost every white male in the class. They literally identified with the slave owners. It was insane. I just wanted to slap them upside the head and tell them to get over it.

Time is of no account with great thoughts, which are as fresh to-day as when they first passed through their authors' minds ages ago. - Samuel Smiles

by moviemeister76 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 12:34:12 PM PST

•  GenXangster, (2+ / 0-)
            SilentBrook, swampyankee

The author of "Race Matters", Bruce Jacobs, explained it in terms of backing through time by the 12-year life span of a dog:

Today. FidoFidoFidoFidoFidoFidoFidoFidoFidoFidoFidoFido Slavery.

We are a mere 4 or 5 human generations removed from legal institutionalized slavery.

OR,

A mere two lifespans of a giant tortoise + perhaps 1 gestation period.

In the timeline of the entire existence of Mankind, american institutionalized slavery was so 10 minutes ago.

by Gentle Giant on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 01:00:02 PM PST

•  Less than that for some of us (0+ / 0-)

My maternal great grandfather who died in 1979 when I was 14 had siblings who were emanicpated slaves...

Fear doesn't just breed incomprehension. It also breeds a spiteful, resentful hate of anyone and everyone who is in any way different from you.

by awesumtenor on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 07:12:24 PM PST

•  Actually, I remember a small tempest over that (0+ / 0-)

movie, though it boiled over very quickly after it actually came out.

Is this just math that you do as a Republican to make yourself feel better?

by ConfusedSkyes on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 01:06:16 PM PST

•  "Why should white people get so offended...?" (2+ / 0-)
            SoCaliana, SilentBrook

Out of concern that it gives people ideas.

Plaintiffs' Employment Law Attorney (harassment, discrimination, retaliation, whistleblowing, wage & hour, &c.) in North Orange County, CA.

"I love this goddamn country, and we're going to take it back."
            -- Saul Alinsky

by Seneca Doane on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 01:35:28 PM PST

•  Without this film, (2+ / 0-)
              astrogeology girl, terrypinder

racists still believe we're all at secret meetings planning to finish the job Nat Turner started so I don't buy that. Black people are suspected of everything negative under the sun. A film won't change anything except that innocent black people will still continue to be victims of racial hatred. If lynching of family, rape and Jim Crow that happened to black people who are still alive today didn't incite black people to insurrection, a film about slavery certainly won't either.

"It's not enough to acknowledge privilege. You have to resist." -soothsayer

by GenXangster on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 02:03:59 PM PST

•  be quiet, don't give away our secret ;) (1+ / 0-)
                GenXangster
              •  Speaking from the largely white bastion of OC (1+ / 0-)
                GenXangster

I can tell you that while the wealthy around here may have that thought floating around in their head, it doesn't actually bob up to the surface all that often.

I'm not saying that this film would incite blacks to violence.  I'm saying that it may lead whites to think more about how readily Blacks (and, out here, Latinos) might justifiably be incited to violence.  Remember, the sort of people who leave those comments believe that they'd never put up with the kind of treatment that they dole out.

Looking back at my comment header, I realize that it could be read as trying to justify these beliefs on the part of whites; that wasn't my intent.  I was just trying to explain why people will get offended, not to justify its legitimacy.

"I love this goddamn country, and we're going to take it back."
                -- Saul Alinsky

by Seneca Doane on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 02:18:02 PM PST

•  That has been their greatest fear (1+ / 0-)
              Seneca Doane

since Pres. Obama was elected the first time... they think that black people are going to start treating them the way they and their forebears treated ( and, in many instances, continue to treat ) black people... when black people were paying them no nevermind... both then and now... their fear is predicated on projected guilt and is based on what they would do... it has no basis in reality.

by awesumtenor on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 07:15:27 PM PST

•  Does the name Charles Bronson ring a bell? (16+ / 0-)

The more you think about the more movies pop up that involve white guys getting vengeance on others of various hues.  Just reflecting on how vast the vengeance genre is, it should come as no surprise that eventually an anti-slave-holder movie would be made.

•  "Slave revolt" has always been (3+ / 0-)
      SoCaliana, SilentBrook, polecat

(and in altered form still is) the underlying and usually sotto voce terror of those who established and governed the United States.  (Thomas Jefferson's discrediting reaction to the Haitian revolution (which I think the government link I chose somewhat whitewashes -- or at least leaches of some of its blood) remains one of the most instructive examples:

The beginning of the Federalist administration of President John Adams signaled a change in policy [towards Haiti]. Adams was resolutely anti-slavery and felt no need to aid white forces in St. Domingue [the French colonial name of Haiti]. He was also concerned that [Haitian revolutionary leader Toussaint] L’Ouverture would choose to pursue a policy of state-supported piracy like that of the Barbary States. Lastly, St. Domingue’s trade had partially rebounded, and Adams wished to preserve trade links with the colony. Consequently, Adams decided to provide aid to L’Ouverture against his British-supported rivals. This situation was complicated by the Quasi-War with France—L’Ouverture continued to insist that St. Domingue was a French colony even as he pursued an independent foreign policy.

Under President Thomas Jefferson’s presidency, the United States cut off aid to L’Ouverture and instead pursued a policy to isolate Haiti, fearing that the Haitian revolution would spread to the United States. These concerns were in fact unfounded, as the fledgling Haitian state was more concerned with its own survival than with exporting revolution. Nevertheless, Jefferson grew even more hostile after L’Ouverture’s successor, Jean-Jacques Dessalines, ordered the execution of whites remaining after the Napoleonic attempts to reconquer St. Domingue and reimpose slavery (French defeat led to the Louisiana Purchase.) Jefferson refused to recognize Haitian independence, a policy to which U.S. Federalists also acquiesced. Although France recognized Haitian independence in 1825, Haitians would have to wait until 1862 for the United States to recognize Haiti’s status as a sovereign, independent nation.

(1862, lest it pass anyone by, was during the Lincoln Presidency.)

This "treacherous" rebellion by one's lessers is, I think, the unremarked-upon significance of perhaps the greatest hero of the 2012 election, to whom I wish our country would erect the Statue of the Unknown Bartender.  The act of video-recording Mitt Romney's "47% speech" -- we can call it the Epistle to the Donors -- was a serious and devastating act of resistance on the part of the (relative) underclass.  The wealthy are unspeakably freaked out by it because, in this age of technology, it's an act of resistance (or, under the right circumstances, revenge) that anyone in the "servant class" could conceivably perform -- and in one's own house!  It's a continuation of the fear on the part of slaveholding classes everywhere of having one's throat slit at night.

I'll cheer for the cinematic Django too -- but I also cheer for our real-life Unknown Bartender.  In treacherous times, with a treacherous ruling class, sometimes it's important to know the value and place of counter-treachery.  It's a lesson that more and more people of "the 99%" will study in the years to come.

"I love this goddamn country, and we're going to take it back."
      -- Saul Alinsky

by Seneca Doane on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 01:31:58 PM PST

•  That's the point, (3+ / 0-)

4 years of racism against Obama, his wife and kids. Doesn't bother these people at all. Jamie Foxx makes one comment and now the world is ending and all blacks are racist.
      It's really very funny.

Reminds me when OJ Simpson was acquitted. After decades of blacks dying by the hands of white men with no consequence, one black dude gets acquitted and the world ends.
      People need to wake up and see reality.

by GustavMahler on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 01:44:57 PM PST