View Diary: "I have to get my hip replaced now, because ObamaCare is cutting that off for old folks" (367 comments)

•  I've been hearing (15+ / 0-)

the same thing from some of the elderly lately.  I know one woman that had her knee replaced because her doctor told her she won't be able to have it done after Obamacare changed Medicare.

Could it be that some doctors are trying to get a higher reimbursement before costs are better contained?  A lot of elderly are concerned about getting procedures cut from Medicare, is Fox News also saying this?

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolution­ary act. " George Orwell

by zaka1 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 01:46:15 PM PST

•  Costs are better contained? (2+ / 0-)
      raincrow, zaka1

How so?

•  I'm guessing (3+ / 0-)
        PinHole, gooderservice, mumtaznepal

that Medicare reimbursements will be limited even more so with the reform.  I'm not sure since most of us on Medicare and Social Security truly do not know what to expect.  Please don't get me wrong, but some have said that reimbursements will be smaller.  It is all very confusing especially if your elderly and disabled just how your healthcare will be effected.  I know one good thing is that the cost of the medication I take has been reduced and is more affordable.

by zaka1 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 04:53:47 PM PST

•  Primary care doctors pay is increasing (0+ / 0-)

as it should.

I'm asking you to believe. Not in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... *I'm asking you to believe in yours.* Barack Obama

by samddobermann on Thu Dec 13, 2012 at 06:42:23 AM PST

•  Are you saying that (0+ / 0-)

Medicare payments to Primary care docs is increasing?  The problem is that many disable and/or elderly such as myself have to see specialists like neurologists, heart specialists or a neuro-surgeon.

by zaka1 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 at 12:31:12 PM PST

•  Gov pays for outcomes rather than procedures. (1+ / 0-)
        mumtaznepal

"Michael Moore, who was filming a movie about corporate welfare called 'Capitalism: A Love Story,' sought and received incentives."

by Bush Bites on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 05:40:28 PM PST

•  a major thing is by reducing (0+ / 0-)

hospital acquired infections. We still have about 100,000 deaths a year from HAIs.

Decreasing the # of infections (> 250,000 a year) would cut costs a lot.

by samddobermann on Thu Dec 13, 2012 at 06:41:36 AM PST

•  One of the ways to contain costs.... (1+ / 0-)
      mumtaznepal

....is for hospitals to have one type of hip, one type of knee, etc., rather than stocking or contracting for a number of different brands according to physician preference.

This sometimes pisses doctors off, so he could be referring to that.

by Bush Bites on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 05:50:41 PM PST

•  one hospital chain just wants to limit them (0+ / 0-)

to 20 different hips....  Not 1.

by samddobermann on Thu Dec 13, 2012 at 06:43:53 AM PST