View Diary: The White House Shows its Hand and the Republicans Fold (195 comments)

•  He has to have (55+ / 0-)

the ultimate patience.

Idiots asking the same question 14 times using slightly different words, each time the answer being "I'm not going to speculate, I don't respond to hypotheticals", etc.

One really strange little right wing troll who is apparently constantly complaining about 'access' whined about the now viral Obama thanking volunteers tears video - why were the press not allowed in the room and then you made the tape public . . . waaaah!

He is the same fool who wanted to know if the President was considering Romney for a cabinet level post.

It was all Jay had to do to keep from laughing out loud at that one.

I love when he's asked some boring question and he reads out of his briefing book.

Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek. Barack Obama

by delphine on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 02:26:47 PM PST

•  I'm surprised (9+ / 0-)

that he doesn't just go into Bill Belichick mode.

Small varmints, if you will.

by aztecraingod on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 03:10:03 PM PST

•  He would die laughing (3+ / 0-)
        elwior, JBL55, Matt Z

if he tried to say "Boehner is a really tough opponent, does a lot of things well. Really smart politician."
        Which is basically the political equivalent of Belichick answering questions about other teams. Somehow the team he's facing is always the best in the league :-P

•  How WH press credentials/access works (5+ / 0-)

From a Huff po article on the Daily Caller guy who interrupted the president in the middle of a press conference on the WH lawn in 6/2012 twice...

The responsibility ....for..controlling reporters' access to White House events... falls to the White House and Secret Service. ...The WHCA is responsible for representing the press corps in helping to facilitate reporting on the president. The WH Corresp. Associations also sets up the White House pool rotation schedule, which is when reporters take turns covering the president at off-site events and feed news updates to the rest of the press corps.
      Daily Caller

"Are you bluish? You don't look bluish," attributed to poet Roger Joseph McGough, for the Beatles' Yellow Submarine (1968).

by BlueStateRedhead on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 03:33:24 PM PST

•  Thanks. There are definitely some wingnuts. (7+ / 0-)

Connie Lawn, who advertises herself as the Senior White House correspondent because she was first given access decades ago is one of them.  She's not there often.  Lester Kinsolving is another wingnut and the two of them together have tried to tag team Carney.  Last summer they asked Carney to name the capital of Israel knowing that diplomats tiptoe around that issue because of the status of Jerusalem.  Carney doesn't take shit from them and he has even joked about Connie Lawn when she wasn't there.

"Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves." - Abraham Lincoln

by leftreborn on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 04:19:46 PM PST

•  Thanx. Skiing correspondent of the WH. (3+ / 0-)
          elwior, leftreborn, Trotskyrepublican

That's really an impressive postion. Ski hats off to Carney for putting up with her.  While I wonder if PBO has ever taken a question from her, I prefer not to link to her blog to find out.

by BlueStateRedhead on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 04:37:09 PM PST

•  40 years ago, Lawn and Kinsolving.... (7+ / 0-)

..were sideshows at the White House and occasionally in the House Radio-TV Gallery. She was stringing for a few radio stations, including an Israeli radio station. Kinsolving was a syndicated columnist, and, later became a talk show host on a local AM station in Baltimore but kept his credentials.

I don't mean to disparage stringers or folks trying to break into the news business as independents. I was one of them, and used to attend and "cover" dinner meetings of the National League of Cities, Conference of Mayors, the DCCC, the RCCC, and the like because I wasn't making enough money to pay my living expenses, and this was the only way I could get a filet mignon, stewed tomato, salad, and the like. I couldn't afford a burger at Roy Rogers at the end of the month, so covering events kept me fed when I ran out of money, waiting for checks from my clients. I was in the business a number of years before I learned that "freeloading press" was actually two words.

There was even one woman - the late Naomi Nover - who was a member of the WH Press Corps who didn't work for anyone. She was the elderly widow of Barney Nover, a respected newsman, and ran the Nover News Service after he died. Eventually, she had no clients, but came to work anyway. It was a sweet, sad game of "let's pretend," that everyone played.

Many of us who were stringers and independents did - in fact - establish ourselves in the business. Others took their experience into other fields, like becoming spokespeople for industry groups.

But there was - and is - Lester Kinsolving. Lester Pester or Father Bother, as he is known behind his back. I cringe when I hear his nasally voice. And when I hear him or Connie, I think of the Paul Simon lyrics...

"Still crazy after all these years."

•  This is CLASSIC! I'd rec' it 10 times. Really (2+ / 0-)
            elwior, doinaheckuvanutjob

enjoyed reading that.

Jay Carney seems to get along with the cast of characters facing him even though he snarls and sneers.  He meets them on their own terms but he remains authoritative.  One day he started out by saying that he was going to ask for hard questions first but Connie wasn't there that day.  He got a pretty good laugh.

It seems to me the Press Corps dutifully reported the party line when Bush was President.  I always thought that they didn't want to end up like Helen Thomas.  They don't hold back much today.

by leftreborn on Thu Dec 13, 2012 at 08:46:16 AM PST

•  Thanks, good story. I love to hear that there is (0+ / 0-)

still some openness to being able to get into, professionally what look like closed settings at such a high level. Glad to hear it paid off for you personally (and fed you in your salad days), and it sounds like a fascinating experience. I love being able to sneak into things like this in the world.

•  That's why I read Transcripts for (14+ / 0-)

the press conferences.  I miss seeing Jay Carney's curling lip of disdain, a real loss, but love reading his word-for-word repeat of his original answer to the 4th or 5th silly questioner.  It gives him a chance to hammer home those talking points!

Really miss the visuals, though.

by I love OCD on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 03:44:42 PM PST

•  I've fallen out of the habit (2+ / 0-)
        elwior, I love OCD

of reading the transcripts since the glory days of Scotty and his game attempts to shill for BushCo. Hilarious they were, in a sad kind of way.

Looks like I might have to get back into it.

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy... the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.

by lcbo on Thu Dec 13, 2012 at 09:29:42 AM PST

•  they really are fun. (1+ / 0-)
          elwior

Jay has the message memorized and repeats it flawlessly until they realize he's not going to slip and say "Fuck them", or whatever might cause a new shiny object.

by I love OCD on Thu Dec 13, 2012 at 02:00:00 PM PST