View Diary: Michigan's extremist lame duck session continues with anti-abortion and anti-Sharia bills (99 comments)

•  Because the Democrats were sleeping (4+ / 0-)

in 2010.  Never again!

•  They weren't sleeping. They decided not to vote (6+ / 0-)

in 2010 to punish Obama, remember?

I hope we remember. Our side, at least, is capable of learning from mistakes.

Their side? I actually think that these stunts by the lame duck MI legislature ought to pretty much destroy the Republican party in Michigan in the foreseeable future.

Methinks the Reagan Democrats up there might start coming home.

Enjoy the San Diego Zoo's panda cam! Now with new baby panda! And support Bat World Sanctuary

by Fonsia on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 05:00:35 PM PST

•  I don't think that most MI Dems who stayed (6+ / 0-)

home in 2010 did so to "punish Obama." I think that though the Dem candidates were strong for most seats, the MI Dem Party campaign strategy was not adequate. It was also true that Snyder ran on an outsider platform, feigning a kind of neutrality that was calculated to appeal to independents.
        I hope that you are correct about the so-called Reagan Democrats in MI, but at the same time the hostility to the Democratic Party should not be underestimated. Unfortunate, and something we need to address.

Some DKos series & groups worth your while: Black Kos, Native American Netroots, KosAbility, Monday Night Cancer Club. If you'd like to join the Motor City Kossacks, send me a Kosmail.

by peregrine kate on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 05:58:05 PM PST

•  It is more complicated and disturbing than that... (1+ / 0-)
        Sister Havana

Watch the first ten minutes of Rachel Maddow's Wednesday show. It will break it down for you. By coincidence I've been reading "It's Even Worse Than It Looks" this week and it has given me an education on this subject.

•  Have you seen what the media has done to Ornstein (1+ / 0-)
          Fonsia

and Mann who used to be their darlings?  They now can't appear unless there is a panel with 2 Republicans to balance it out.  Are you kidding?  Ornstein is with the American Enterprise Institute, the righwing whacko think tank.  This is what happens when republicans don't like what you have to say whether it be the truth or not.

•  no, I don't remember. you are making sh** up. (3+ / 0-)
        rosarugosa, Code Monkey, apimomfan2

2010 was an off year, and there was no enthusiasm for Democrats. A lot of that can be blamed on elected Democrats.

An ambulance can only go so fast - Neil Young

by mightymouse on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 07:30:11 PM PST

•  Michigan had had years of recession and that (3+ / 0-)

always invites a "throw the bums out" mentality. Of course, big money probably recognized their chance.

I have never heard of anyone wanting to "punish Obama". I have never heard that sentiment. Is it a particular voting group (like students or something) that you think did this?

I would guess it would have to do more with being unenthused about politics and probably a little voter supression type ads in some areas.  They do a lot of bill board type stuff in some neighborhoods over there so for example, a lot of anti-abortion billboards or stuff to scare seniors.

•  that reply is for the original comment, I agree (2+ / 0-)
            mightymouse, Scott Wooledge

with mightymouse and don't remember that particular idea although I have seen it pretty often here at DK for the last couple of days on these Michigan pages. First time I hear that idea. I have a lot of friends in Michigan and they are mostly Dems, and I have never heard that idea. Small sample, I know.

•  no, I don't believe "punishing Obama" (3+ / 0-)

was the deal either ... well, I guess there was some effective GOP propaganda out there, and the Dems (on up to the top) didn't have much good in response, except the stillborn "recovery summer" and "don't give the keys back."

what gets me about the original comment is that every one wants to blame the voter but they don't want blame the candidates, the party, the campaign. a lot of times you can't do very much about the voter, except to offer him or her a better product.

An ambulance can only go so fast - Neil Young

by mightymouse on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 08:30:45 PM PST

•  Yeah. Blaming the voters is a losing strategy. (1+ / 0-)
              mightymouse

Sorry, you don't get to deal with a rational electorate. They will vote out the incumbents if things still suck, unless you make the case to them that it's not the majority's fault. Yes, that means playing the blame game.

Code Monkey like freedom / Code Monkey like peace and justice too
              Code Monkey very nerdy man / With big warm fuzzy bleeding heart
              Code Monkey like you!

Formerly known as Jyrinx.

by Code Monkey on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 10:48:05 PM PST

•  Bullshit. People were not punishing Obama. (0+ / 0-)

They were responding to the fact that the economy still sucked balls and they didn't have jobs. Thus they threw the bums out.

The lesson here should be that you should always be sure to either enact policy sufficient to the task or be well-positioned to blame the opposition if that doesn't happen. When Obama championed insufficient stimulus and claimed it was enough, he failed to do either.

Code Monkey like freedom / Code Monkey like peace and justice too
        Code Monkey very nerdy man / With big warm fuzzy bleeding heart
        Code Monkey like you!

Formerly known as Jyrinx.

by Code Monkey on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 10:45:17 PM PST

•  DEM's are complicit. (0+ / 0-)

Patriot Act, NDAA, wiretap, bipartisanship at any cost, the DEM Party has been absolutely complicit. Nothing's changed. You CAN fool SOME people ALL the time, obviously.

Operation Northwoods: The 9/11 You Never Knew