View Diary: The Daily Music Break: The Who (35 comments)

•  There are several older acts that still have it... (3+ / 0-)
    cweinsch, teknohed, No Exit
    In the mid 90s I saw the page/plant reunion tour, jethro tull, Santana and none of the shows lived up to my expectations.
    Yes, Roger Waters, Springsteen, Clapton, U2.

The Stones were always a iffy band to see live....they could be great one night; mediocre the next.

Clapton is in a unique position as age isn't really a factor for  Blues musicians like Pop or Rock

This space for rent -- Cheap!

by jds1978 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 at 06:52:39 AM PST

•  Buying tickets to see Yes this morning. eom (2+ / 0-)
      jds1978, No Exit

"Take a straight and stronger course to the corner of your life." - Yes

by teknohed on Thu Dec 13, 2012 at 07:01:54 AM PST

•  Prepare to be amazed! (0+ / 0-)
        Buying tickets to see Yes this morning.
        They are still the real deal.  Jon Anderson sounds fantastic and their harmony singing is dead on.  As for the technical merits of their individual playing; they have only gotten better with age

This space for rent -- Cheap!

by jds1978 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 at 07:12:36 AM PST

•  unfortunately Jon is not singing with them. (1+ / 0-)
          No Exit

He most recently is touring with Wakeman.  I have seen them with Jon about 15 times since the '70s.  So I'm a little torn but they intend to play The Yes Album, Close to the Edge and Going for the One in their entirety so I am going.  I really want to see Howe play slide on And You and I again too.

"Take a straight and stronger course to the corner of your life." - Yes

by teknohed on Thu Dec 13, 2012 at 07:40:57 AM PST

•  I have heard Yes is great live even now (1+ / 0-)
            teknohed

And I love close to the edge.  In fact I used to have all their early albums through owner of a lonely heart (90210?)

And you and I is a classic

A standing army is like a standing member. It's an excellent assurance of domestic tranquility, but a dangerous temptation to foreign adventure. Elbridge Gerry - Constitutional Convention (1787)

by No Exit on Thu Dec 13, 2012 at 03:04:41 PM PST

•  And Traffic (0+ / 0-)

In the year of the Dinosaurs (94-ish) when the Eagles h3ll froze over et cetera, I saw Traffic perform at the Universal Amphitheater in LA. Expecting a bunch of geezers covering old songs I was pleasantly surprised that they'd written new material for the tour and while they did play their old hits, there new stuff was excellent.
      The other thing about that show that was impressive was that Capaldi and the other drummer (didn't get his name) shared the same drum kit. They didn't even seem to adjust it when they switched off! This is not ordinary behavior for drummers, who are, normally, obsessed with adjusting everything to their spec.

If I ran this circus, things would be DIFFERENT!

by CwV on Thu Dec 13, 2012 at 07:27:31 AM PST