View Diary: Obama: 'Doesn't make sense' for federal government to go after states that legalized marijuana (226 comments)

•  Links? (15+ / 0-)

AFAIK - They went after a lot of bona fide dispensaries.

“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.” Terry Pratchett

by 420 forever on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 07:15:10 AM PST

•  oh i'm not saying they weren't bona fide (11+ / 0-)

but from my understanding of the targeted ones, it was in areas in which 1, it was still illegal for unmedicated use in states, and 2, there was evidence of unregistered users obtaining it from other users, or dispenseries themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I'm for full legalization, but from an enforcement viewpoint, it would make sense to target certain ones, while leaving all others untouched.

All dispenseries are registered, it wouldn't be too hard for the DEA to shut down EVERY SINGLE ONE.  But they haven't.

95% of all life forms that once existed on earth are now extinct. It is only a matter of time until the Republicans follow suit.

by PRRedlin on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 07:18:44 AM PST

•  Your "understanding" seem to largely be (12+ / 0-)

comprised of excused you cooked up.

This place needs a PVP server.

by JesseCW on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 08:07:09 AM PST

•  Obama is a *politician* (6+ / 0-)

Let's not forget that marijuana prohibition has an 80 year history of being a cudgel with which the right has reliably battered liberal reformers.  Legalization had 19% support as recently as 1990.  Supporting full national legalization would simply have cost politicians like Bill Clinton too many votes.

We've seen more movement against marijuana prohibition in the last four years than in the past 80 combined.  Being in favor of legalization is now an asset to a politician, not a liability, because supporting legalization is now a majority opinion.

So, forgive Obama if he's still playing catchup.  He's apparently decided that aggressively attacking the California dispensaries in his first term was a mistake, and now that he doesn't have any more elections to worry about and public opinion has changed on this issue, he's recalibrating his policy.  He seems to be signaling that the new policy is "hands off, for now."

When nothing bad happens in Washington and Colorado, more states will legalize it, and there will be a major push towards reclassifying marijuana on a federal level.  I still think it'll be 20-30 years before we see full national legalization, but I think it'll be legal in about a dozen states within 10 years.

•  He's still attacking dispensaries in CA (0+ / 0-)

He has only said he wouldn't go after users, not the industry.  And his supporters have made very clear the distinction.

The revolution will not be televised. But it will be blogged, a lot. Probably more so than is necessary.

by AoT on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 11:45:30 AM PST

•  I beg to differ. He promised a "hands-off" (13+ / 0-)

approach to MM, but ended up to the right of George Bush on the issue. As the latino and gay communities have shown, Obama seems to be at his best when he's under pressure from his constituents. So a little caution here would be very prudent.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...uh whatever"

“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.” Terry Pratchett

by 420 forever on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 08:13:01 AM PST

•  One word: Colorado (3+ / 0-)
        hoof32, rsmpdx, EdinStPaul

This Fall there was a segment on 60 Minutes about Colorado's medical marijuana program and how it's managed very closely. One of the folks in CO involved in this said that the Feds haven't really messed with them, with the inference that their program and dispensaries are so tightly run that the situation differs from CA, where much of the Fed noise against marijuana has taken place.

FWIW...

"We will find fulfillment not in the goods that we have, but in the good we can do for each other." ~ RFK

by paz3 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 09:00:39 AM PST

•  Eh. (3+ / 0-)
          hoof32, MPociask, DoGooderLawyer

All the dispensaries I've been to in CA seemed to have been very tightly run.  And I've seen them get shut down, one after another.  It has nothing to do with how legit they are legally, it has to do with other businesses or local residents catching wind of their existence, freaking out, and complaining to local law enforcement who then notify the Feds.  The Feds always go ahead and shut it down when they get a report, because they can.  At least, this is the best I can figure out from personally witnessing this effect.

"Electricity is really just organized lightning." - George Carlin (RIP)

by bohemian darling on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 09:17:36 AM PST

•  They were bullshit in WA (5+ / 0-)

My former pro skater roommate, now 40, popped into a clinic, pointed at his collarbone, said, "yeah, still hurts from when I broke it 20 years ago," and got a card. He thought it was funny, he said that anyone who could fog a mirror in WA could get a card. It was a joke. Maybe the dispensaries were tight, that is, you had to have a card to get weed, but the card system was a laugh. Not that I have a problem with weed, I voted for legalization. But I hated the card thing, because I was afraid that as soon as it became clear that people were getting weed who had no medical need for it, the whole system would get revoked and we would be back to square one. I'm  so glad weed is legal now and there's no need for that ridiculous shit.

"Take the victory and keep on marching"

by SeattleProgressive on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 10:47:28 AM PST

•  It's the same in CA in my experience (0+ / 0-)

There's some doctors that only give recs for serious stuff, but there's plenty that you can just go into and tell them you have a bum back and they'll give you a rec.  I'm fine with that, because it's not going back the way it used to be.  It's here to stay, so maybe it'll encourage them to legalize.

by AoT on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 11:48:08 AM PST

•  Where's your evidence of "unregistered users"? (0+ / 0-)

1.  By "unregistered users" do you mean no Rx?  As I understand it, virtually anyone can get an Rx.
        2.  Where's the evidence of unregistered users?  I haven't heard that this is a problem.
        3.  What about people afraid of getting an Rx because they or their spouses have federal jobs or work for a federal contractor or similar situation.

No, it's been another case of Obama's act-to-the-right-of-the-right-so-they-can't-criticize-me scarey behavior.

Even Democrats can be asses. Look at Rahm Emanuel.

by Helpless on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 10:45:51 AM PST