View Diary: Obama: 'Doesn't make sense' for federal government to go after states that legalized marijuana (226 comments)

•  The job of the DOJ is to defend the laws (12+ / 0-)

Congress passes, not pick which laws they approve of.  Imagine a Bush clone in the WH refusing to enforce clean air laws.  Or just look at history and don't stretch your imagination.

The Holder DOJ dropped DOMA cases as soon as enough courts ruled DOMA unconstitutional.  It's a process, not an ideological battle, unless you're a Republican.  Note that the House has lost every DOMA case they've pursued.

You might also ask yourself why gay marriage lost every time it was on the ballot until this President supported it.  He's powerful because he's thoughtful and has impeccable timing.

by I love OCD on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 08:11:45 AM PST

•  Actually I was referring to Congress (3+ / 0-)
      AoT, surfbird007, TheDuckManCometh

taking unilateral action by hiring it's own lawyers as it did when DOJ abandoned defending DOMA.

Although I'm still chewing on how congress would take unilateral action in this case.

The 1st Amendment gives you the right to say stupid things, the 1st Amendment doesn't guarantee a paycheck to say stupid things.

by JML9999 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 08:27:16 AM PST

•  Which is why they prosecuted for torture (15+ / 0-)

and bank fraud.  Because they have absolutely no choice in what laws they focus on.  They are in fact so serious about prosecuting that they let HSBC off with a light wrist slap for money laundering.

The revolution will not be televised. But it will be blogged, a lot. Probably more so than is necessary.

by AoT on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 08:41:50 AM PST

•  So do we start war crimes prosecutions (1+ / 0-)
        Larsstephens

with Truman, Kennedy, or Reagan?  Do we prosecute everybody who worked for the CIA only, or include State Dep't personnel?  The entire Executive branch in each administration?  All Congressional members or only those in the inner circles?  What's the start date?  20th Century?  Post WWII?  Will investigators all have Top Secret clearance and access to all material?  What constitutes proof?  If witnesses are dead, who testifies?  Do we prosecute the stenographers who typed the files?  Cheney was probably the least effective of our villains, and the best at covering his ass and finding fall guys.  If he gets off on technicalities and becomes a hero, what does that mean for the future?

Are you aware that the DOJ is bringing and winning financial fraud cases.  Since greed and fraud were largely legalized by Congress that's pretty remarkable.

Do you have replacements ready to take the place of large banks?  Wall Street?  What happens economically to the 99% if banks and Wall Street are gone?

Didn't  we as a nation enjoy the good times and ignore the warnings?  Are you prepared to live in poverty to atone for your apathy?

by I love OCD on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 11:12:40 AM PST

•  No, we prosecute for drugs (2+ / 0-)
          nota bene, George Hier

Because it doesn't affect the powerful.  Welcome to the land of the free.

And in fact you've proven my point.  Anyone who pretends that we have rule of law here in the US is deluded.  And if I hear a single god damn person tell me the Justice department has a responsibility to uphold the law I'll point them toward your comment.

Because fuck the little people, banks have money to make.

As for your legal questions: We have laws already.  You are a torture apologist if your answer is "everybody does it."

Do you have replacements ready to take the place of large banks?

You nationalize them and replace the executives. Done.  Instead, you want to encourage fraud and malfeasance by outright telling banks they won't have any real punishment for breaking the law.  Hypocrite.

by AoT on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 11:36:47 AM PST

•  Also (1+ / 0-)
          George Hier
          I don't know about we as a nation, but I know I've been living in poverty for a while and I haven't been apathetic, so fuck you very much.  I was yelling about the crash well before it happened and people like you fucking did nothing.  Go look in the mirror before you fling accusation of apathy.

by AoT on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 11:39:10 AM PST

•  I am so enjoying the war crimes prosecutions (10+ / 0-)

and all the bank fraudsters and vote suppressors going to prison under your legal theory.

As if.

It is emphatically the job of DoJ, DEA, Immigration, et al. to pick which laws to enforce, and of the President to order them to ignore some and come down heavy on others. As earlier this year with children of undocumented immigrants.

America—We built that!

by Mokurai on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 08:53:24 AM PST

•  And you think prosecutable cases (0+ / 0-)

just drop like manna from heaven?  You think the DOJ and Obama are going to ignore all of this?  You may have noticed there were no press releases about BP prosecutions until the cases were solid.  It isn't Holders' job to reassure you and thereby give the opposition months to build BS Mountain's propaganda machine.  Just a thought.

by I love OCD on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 11:17:56 AM PST

•  Yeah, yeah, the prosecutions are totally coming (0+ / 0-)

Just like they are not going to happen because there were no laws broken and the banks are too big to fail.

Make up your mind.