Skip to main content

View Diary: Use Homeland Security $$$ for mental health care (138 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  That's when adult counseling should START ! (4+ / 0-)

    I've gotta say, as a parent who volunteered a lot at my kids schools, I could spot kids with some serious issues starting pretty early on.

    Young ones act out a lot in preschool , and by 2nd, 3rd grade their teachers know them very well . Teachers are stretched to capacity already, and cannot provide the individualized attention these kids and their families need.

    By the time they are in high school, they are often falling through the cracks , with the national average being 2 counselors for every 500 students or something.

    •  But it doesn't because they are no longer (2+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:
      43north, Gorette

      eligible for Medicaid. I agree with teachers and they are the ones who probably have the most contact with our kids.

      The work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives and the dreams shall never die. ~ Edward M. (Ted) Kennedy

      by cherie clark on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 07:38:39 PM PST

      [ Parent ]

    •  As the S.O. of a Special Educator (2+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:
      fuzzyguy, Gorette

      there's days that she comes home from dealing with a student and parent(s) only to proclaim:

      The child's issues are nothing compared to the parent(s)!
      S/He's a rock star given what's at-home.
      Child Abuse. Abandonment. Worse.
      Parental: Spousal abuse. Alcohol. Drugs. Abandonment. Cancer. Incarceration.

      Often it's the whole unit that needs services - not just the child.

      There's part of me that wants to drop-a-dime to the State, but that would require prying a name out of her, and then violating district privacy rules.
      While assuming someone has the interest and financing to DO something with that information.

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site