View Diary: Car shopping for a crossed-out generation (403 comments)

•  280,000 miles and still going strong (12+ / 0-)

93 Volvo 940 Turbo wagon.

My 1980 240 wagon had 344,000 when the heater core sprung a leak.

I am the only Volvo wagon in Portland without a "Free Tibet" bumper sticker though.

A Volvo C30 is pretty cool.

White-collar conservatives flashing down the street, pointing their plastic finger at me..

by BOHICA on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 02:29:16 PM PST

•  I've read that the 940 wagon (5+ / 0-)

is the safest set of wheels in America .
      Fewer people are killed or injured in the 940 than any other car or truck .
      The opposite extreme is the corvette .

It turns out that the person behind the wheel makes a huge difference . The person who picks and drives the 940 is the safest driver and the driver of the corvette is the most likely to do something stupid behind the wheel .

"Drop the name-calling." Meteor Blades 2/4/11

by indycam on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 02:43:04 PM PST

•  I have to wonder if (0+ / 0-)

new-generation Camaros are up there on that list (driver likely to do something stupid behind the wheel).  In the last month in my Alabama town, I almost had a collision three times with the same black Camaro, apparently driven by the same guy (I could see him behind the wheel).  Once he ran a light coming out of Walmart and almost broadsided my beloved Magnum.  See, if I had a car like that Camaro I would baby it like an out-of-my-league girlfriend.

“Nice country you got here. Shame if something were to happen to it” --the GOP philosophy to governing as described by Paul Krugman

by dwayne on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 03:50:37 PM PST

•  in 1993 there were NOBODY killed in a 940 (2+ / 0-)
        dwayne, BOHICA

for the entire year.  Safe?  You Betcha

80 % of Success is Just Showing Up !

by Churchill on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 03:50:42 PM PST

•  As you say, death rate statistics (1+ / 0-)
        BOHICA

...by model of car or truck are a better measure of owner demographics than of vehicle safety.

•  gave my 940 to daughter who never (2+ / 0-)
      bwren, BOHICA

serviced it - crapped out in a year :(

Hey! Where did the ads go???

by PHScott on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 03:17:44 PM PST

•  My previous car to my current one (2+ / 0-)
      BOHICA, GayHillbilly

was a Volvo 850.  Really nice car and very comfortable, but it had an automatic transmission and I really like a manual, so I "stole" my current ride (five speed manual PT Cruiser) from my husband.  Still between the two of us, I and my husband drove it for 14 years until we sold it to our neighbor for her son who is still driving it four or five years later.

"Growing up is for those who don't have the guts not to. Grow wise, grow loving, grow compassionate, but why grow up?" - Fiddlegirl

by gulfgal98 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 03:52:16 PM PST

•  I drove my Volvo S80 to 289K miles and my (1+ / 0-)
      BOHICA

mechanic "suggested" it might be time to trade it in.  I got $2000 for the trade.  That Volvo was reliable, safe and comfy ride.

•  ahh, BOHICA, yr another Volvo freak (1+ / 0-)
      BOHICA

'90 740T   215k
      '96 960 wagon 282k
      '01 XC70 217k
      and we right now have a pristine '95 960 sedan with 81k we are driving around to see if we want it.

Not one bumper sticker on any of them,  and they are all ready to drive across the country if needed.

Where we live, and the nature of my work,  reliability, durability  and road-worthiness are more important to me than saving a bit on fuel.

I have no interest whatever in ever driving a truck again, so I have cars that are big enough to haul some stuff or pull a trailer  when I need.

The 740T  is my "mid-life-crisis" hot rod that I worked all that speed shit out of my system with a decade ago.  I drive it around now and then just to remind myself why I now prefer plush smooth over harsh zoom.

Being 67 might also have something to do with it...

don't always believe what you think

by claude on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 04:46:08 PM PST

• Recommended (139)
  • Community (68)
  • Elections (26)
  • Environment (26)
  • Culture (24)
  • Science (23)
  • Media (23)
  • Law (22)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Memorial Day (20)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Labor (19)
  • Economy (19)
  • Marriage Equality (17)
  • Republicans (17)
  • Ireland (17)
  • Rescued (17)
  • Climate Change (17)
  • Bernie Sanders (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site