View Diary: Saturday hate mail-a-palooza: Not today (101 comments)

•  Or perhaps (7+ / 0-)

your assailant might have grabbed the gun and used it on you, much as this man did to his mother, and you would not be here today to tell your story. NO, we need to get rid of ALL automatic and semi-automatic guns. They don't have them over here; in fact, it is against the law to own a handgun, and I like it this way.

"We have cast our lot with something bigger than ourselves" - President Obama, July 30, 2010

by Overseas on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 10:36:46 AM PST

•  perhaps but counterfactuals like hindsight =20/20 (4+ / 0-)

the guy was grabbing my bag, he just wanted swag and was content to hit me during a mugging, so banning semi/automatic weapons or handguns would not have changed the situation and I might have the chance to not have continuing trauma and physical pain

yksitoista ulotteinen presidentin shakki. / tappaa kaikki natsit "Nous sommes un groupuscule" (-9.50; -7.03) 政治委员, 政委‽ Warning - some snark above ‽

by annieli on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 10:41:22 AM PST

•  Counterfactuals and hindsight (1+ / 0-)
        Overseas

work both ways; you may think you know what would have happened either way, but you don't. One thing we know about your assault: no gun, everybody lived. I am sorry for your trauma and pain, but we simply do not know what could have been--it is possible you could be better off now than in that other world.

"Lone catch of the moon, the roots of the sigh of an idea there will be the outcome may be why?"--from a spam diary entitled "The Vast World."

by bryduck on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 10:46:38 AM PST

•  you weren't there and I don't wish you the same (6+ / 0-)

fate, so let's not devolve in to the normal trollish hypothetical internet discourse, since I did have enough time and training at the time to put several rounds into him, I just tried to trust that I was in a safe urban area.

by annieli on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 10:50:58 AM PST

•  So you wish you had killed a man (1+ / 0-)
            bryduck

over a purse? And you would have been happy to know you had killed? Maybe he had children to feed and needed some money. You did not walk in his shoes for even a minute and yet you wish you had killed.

by Overseas on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 11:39:38 AM PST

•  nice try, troll /nt (4+ / 0-)

by annieli on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 11:43:11 AM PST

•  OH, you are RKBA. That explains it. nt (0+ / 0-)

by Overseas on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 12:34:37 PM PST

•  nice try, troll /nt (3+ / 0-)
                  GrumpyOldGeek, ancblu, happy camper

by annieli on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 12:41:25 PM PST

•  I'm not RKBA by a long shot, I think the 2nd needs (1+ / 0-)
                  annieli

to be repealed, but you are way out of line.

•  I don't think so. I was trying to (0+ / 0-)

figure out why a 70 year old grandmother who has been here for years and is a TU would be called a troll by this person, so I checked her profile and who she follows. RKBA is right there. Not out of line at all. You have given out  inappropriate HRs, BTW. Why would you want to do that?

by Overseas on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 02:18:30 PM PST

•  Because you're telling someone who was in an (3+ / 0-)
                      annieli, mickey, happy camper

emotionally terrifying place, in a very confrontational manner, that you know better than her and throw her desire to stay alive and unharmed in the worst possible light. I do not think that is polite behavior, and certainly not conducive to a rational discussion.

•   And you have absolutely no idea (0+ / 0-)

what events may have occurred during my 70 years.  Or anything about my life. She says she wants to put a couple of slugs into some guy. I find that disturbing to me and asked the question.
                        One day I will tell you about the raging mentally disturbed woman who came at me with a gun to take my grand-daughter. Yet, I don't want to put a couple of bullets in her. We react differently to things. I don't want to shoot the man who tried to rape me. I don't want to shoot the man who stole my wallet. There is a whole list of bad shite that has happened in my life, but I still don't want to kill over them.

by Overseas on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 02:37:58 PM PST

•  Tell you what, ma'am. (1+ / 0-)
                          annieli

I'll remove the HRs. They got your attention, certainly, and I can see your argument. I'm rather inclined to think like you on the subject of killing. But I would remind you that, from a third party's shoes, your way of approaching this dialogue comes off in a very unpleasant manner, and I don't feel annieli's response posts were entirely unwarranted, were I in her shoes.

•  And I do feel her responses were (0+ / 0-)

unwarranted in Kos' diary where he is expressing great grief over these killings. I did not and never do invade a Bear Arms diary even though I am totally opposed to everything they stand for; there I would be a troll in expressing my opinions. Here annieli is talking about putting slugs into someone in a diary that is opposed to that, so in some ways, she is the troll in this diary.
                            You should read the FAQs on HRs. You have been here 5 months now and could get yourself in trouble flinging them around. In all these years I have only given out a few and those I could well justify under the rules. We have had many a battle over the proper use of the old TRs and the modern HRs. I am not telling you what to do, but passing on a little advice for the future. Every HR is reviewed.

by Overseas on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 03:08:31 PM PST