View Diary: Midday open thread (94 comments)

•  Screw the opposition. This is about saving lives. (6+ / 0-)

If it was illegal to own semiautomatic handguns, this tragic shooting wouldn't have happened.

The killer's mother wouldn't have had them in the house for the killer to access. This woman (who may have believed guns would make her safe) was killed with her own weapon.

A semiautomatic weapon ban would have also prevented:
    -the Aurora, Colorado theater shooting
    -the Wisconsin Sikh temple shooting
    -the Oregon mall shooting
    -the Columbine massacre
    -the Virginia Tech massacre, and many others.

All these crimes were carried out with legally owned semiautomatic weapons.
    It's not hard to see how to stop this.

Armed and Dangerous: a blog about gun violence

•  I agree with all that (0+ / 0-)

I have no doubt that these weapons should be illegal. But I am not convinced that the president should push for it unless he can actually get it done, because otherwise all you do is provoke more sales of semi-automatic weapons out of people who fear that he'll take away their right to buy one, and more donations to the NRA that will be used to put more pro-gun extremists in Congress. At the end of the day what does that accomplish?

•  but how would you do it? I mean honestly think (0+ / 0-)

about that.

Let's say that tomorrow an executive order is passed banning semi automatic weapons.  What happens then?  There are 100 million registered hand guns in America today, those are the ones we know about.  310 million non military firearms in total that are registered....that we know about.  One half of American homes own at least one gun.

How in the world would we get rid of them?  What would happen after the ban was passed?

•  The stats you represent (0+ / 0-)

refer to guns in total, not semiautomatic weapons.

The legal semiautomatic weapons are registered. We know who owns them. They would be required to turn them in.

A law against murder also has difficult and expensive logistics created to support its enforcement. And murders still happen despite the existence of that law.
        But that doesn't mean that a law against murder isn't the right thing to do.

Armed and Dangerous: a blog about gun violence

•  re "One half on Am'n homes own at least one gun" (1+ / 0-)
        All Outta Bubble Gum

According to the New Yorker article by Jill Lepore, the real number is one in three:

In 1973, there were guns in roughly one in two households in the United States; in 2010, one in three. In 1980, nearly one in three Americans owned a gun; in 2010, that figure had dropped to one in five.
        NRA lobbyists boast of big numbers to convince people that gun ownership is as American as Mom, babies, and apple pie, but it really isn't.

One in three families is 33%.  That means 66% of families don't own guns.  That's landslide territory -- against guns.  And it says nothing about the spouses of owners who might vote against the gun lobby.

•  One of the weapons was a long gun -- though (0+ / 0-)

I've seen it reported as a .223 caliber rifle and as a shot gun.

And revolvers are nearly as effective as semi-automatic handguns -- with one very big asterisk: the semi-automatic weapons are faster to reload.

One big difference -- there were reports of a hundred rounds being fired.  Replace the two handguns with 8 round revolvers, and you have 16 rounds before reloading, and reloading is not that fast.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 12:35:43 PM PST

•  ME says that was the one used on ALL victims (1+ / 0-)
        dinotrac

It turns out the 223 was in the school not in the car.

Democratic Leaders must be very clear they stand with the working class of our country. Democrats must hold the line in demanding that deficit reduction is done fairly -- not on the backs of the elderly, the sick, children and the poor.

by Betty Pinson on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 12:53:02 PM PST

•  Sorry... (0+ / 0-)

...but your facts are wrong.

I knew she was the gal for me as soon as she laid her eyes on me. Right on me shoulder, she did. Popped the buggers right out her head, and laid em on me shoulder. She's a sweet heart, that gal.

by glb3 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 01:46:35 PM PST

•  Which ones? (0+ / 0-)

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 03:21:18 PM PST

•  Start Here... (0+ / 0-)

Revolvers are just as effective as semi auto handguns, a revolver (S&W 686 for instance) can be reloaded just as fact as a semi auto (Glock 22 for instance). A single action revolver (Colt Single Action Army for instance) would be slower to reload.
            This kid had plenty of time to fire off 100 rounds, including reloads, from any revolver, semi auto pistol, or semi auto rifle, regardless of their capacity.
            Go watch some YouTube videos to see for yourself.

by glb3 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 06:15:18 PM PST

•  Ah. Yeah, I did some snooping around after I wrote (0+ / 0-)

that and was surprised at what can be done with auto reloaders.

I remember reading criticisms around the time of the assault weapon ban that it seemed to be more about how scary a weapon looked than what it did.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 07:42:38 PM PST

•  Agree n/t (0+ / 0-)

This is what a revolver is capable of, yes a revolver.

by glb3 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 05:40:37 PM PST

•  Agree, ban the guns (1+ / 0-)
      All Outta Bubble Gum

for personal sale and restrict ammo purchases.

If someone really wants to shoot these guns, let them sign up for military duty to get their jollies.

by Betty Pinson on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 12:52:06 PM PST

• Recommended (133)
  • Community (67)
  • Elections (33)
  • Media (33)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (31)
  • 2016 (29)
  • Climate Change (21)
  • Labor (20)
  • Economy (19)
  • Josh Duggar (18)
  • Jeb Bush (18)
  • Marriage Equality (18)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site