View Diary: Midday open thread (94 comments)

•  Lanza's mother 'bit of a survivalist' (6+ / 0-)

Who feared 'economic collapse' (apparently from her very well-heeled suburban Connecticut neighborhood). and had beefs with the school district, and home-schooled her son.

This from MSNBC.

I'm fighting the urge to pass judgment but it's damned hard.

And I AM NOT throwing a blanket over home-schoolers and gun owners.  But this 'economic collapse' gun collector seems -- from afar -- like another fucking loon.

Forgive me for judging the dead.  Not my intent but I just don't know ...

•  more karmic justice /nt (0+ / 0-)

yksitoista ulotteinen presidentin shakki. / tappaa kaikki natsit "Nous sommes un groupuscule" (-9.50; -7.03) 政治委员, 政委‽ Warning - some snark above ‽

by annieli on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 12:11:57 PM PST

•  If those reports are true (0+ / 0-)

it sounds like Nancy Lanza was a graduate of Glenn Beck University. Not that everyone who follows people like Beck are crazy, but many people with underlying mental illnesses are attracted to those of like mind.

•  I believe she's been decscribed by those (5+ / 0-)

who knew her as a "responsible" gun owner and there doesn't seem to be any question that she owned the guns legally. We may assume part of her reason for owning the guns was for self-protection.

Whoa. This tells us a few things:

Pro-gun arguments about "responsible" gun owners never letting this thing happen are a bunch of hooey.

Self-protection reasons for owning guns are a bunch of hooey. I mean, that worked out real well for her, didn't it?

Last but not least, if a LEGAL gun did this much damage - the the FUCKING LAWS ARE TOO WEAK! LET'S FUCKING CHANGE THEM!!!

Handmade holiday gifts from Jan4insight on Zibbet. Get 10%off everytime with coupon code KOSSACK.

by jan4insight on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 12:23:17 PM PST

•  She couldn't have been too much of a (1+ / 0-)
        jan4insight

"responsible" gun owner since she left the guns where they were readily available to her "mentally disturbed" son.

"In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican." - H. L. Mencken

by SueDe on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 01:09:25 PM PST

•  Yes, I agree. However I made the point (0+ / 0-)

because so many RKBA'rs here are always blah-blahing about how any effort to stop innocent kids from being gunned down like this would "infringe"  and "punish" the "responsible" gun owners, whine, snivel.

If that's their idea of a "responsible" gun owner, they badly need an upgrade in their thinking.

by jan4insight on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 01:13:39 PM PST

•  Do you have a link for that? (0+ / 0-)

"Republicans have been fleeced and exploited and lied to by a conservative entertainment complex." - David Frum

by Glinda on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 12:40:23 PM PST

•  Here you go (1+ / 0-)
        DRo

Democratic Leaders must be very clear they stand with the working class of our country. Democrats must hold the line in demanding that deficit reduction is done fairly -- not on the backs of the elderly, the sick, children and the poor.

by Betty Pinson on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 12:56:17 PM PST

•  An aunt in NC who hasn't seen him since he was 3 (1+ / 0-)
          DRo

and is a blood relative to the ex-husband is "reported" (not seen on camera) as saying that Nancy Lanza was a survivalist.

Uh-huh. She's a reliable source. Sure.

I'm going t wait for the official report from the police to come out before I believe any of the rumors mongered by the irresponsible media at this time.

by Glinda on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 01:06:50 PM PST

•  The fact that she stockpiled weapons and ammo (1+ / 0-)
            sukeyna

and took her kids to the shooting range regularly, including one that had obvious mental illness, doesn't paint a very flattering picture of her either.

The killer had a large cache of very dangerous weapons and ammo that he took with him to do his dirty deed.  He had been trained by his mother in how to shoot those weapons.

Enough said.

by Betty Pinson on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 01:15:32 PM PST

•  I agree: "Enough said" (0+ / 0-)

But not in the way that you mean.

I've seen enough rumor mongering from the media.  I am certainly not going to pay any heed to the gossiping of people who have an ax to grind one way or the other.

by Glinda on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 01:24:21 PM PST

•  That's your decision (0+ / 0-)

Everything I've stated so far is documented.  I'm fairly reality based and not afraid to face reality about these problems.

by Betty Pinson on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 01:45:05 PM PST

•  Your "reality" is based on media gossip. (0+ / 0-)

That you leap to conclusions at early and conflicting reports casts a very unflattering picture on you IMHO.

"Documented"?  RTFLMAO!

But you are not alone.  My FB feed as well as a not insignificant population of dKos is replete with a feeding frenzy savoring all the details and making snap judgments.  Thankfully, those who are wiser refrain from ugly speculation at this point.

by Glinda on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 02:00:07 PM PST

•  I'm a "bit of a survivalist" myself--grow as much (0+ / 0-)

food in the back yard as I can, save seeds, keep an emergency pantry, etc.

I don't think the world is ending, but I grew up in hurricane country and lived my early married life in primitive conditions where we were sometimes iced in for a couple of weeks, etc.

Fiscal conservative: a Republican ready to spend $5 to save a dime--especially if that dime is helping a non-donor.

by Mayfly on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 12:44:57 PM PST