View Diary: A national conversation about gun control (198 comments)

•  A Petition that uses new words: (17+ / 0-)

Nate states something that Chomsky has been hammering every since he first published; language is used as a tool of control by the ruling/power class.

The phrase "gun control" must be set aside.  It carries too much weight of government oppression (not correctly and not to this community) and now works against us and not for us.

I am not qualified to formally propose new memes or language which might be more beneficial, I just want to throw out some examples of what I am talking about:

Assault Weapon Restriction
    Militarized Weapon Standards
    Assault Prevention

I fully believe that people should be able to access (after a 30 day waiting period and check) sporting arms for bird/game hunting or target sport - Canadians enjoy the same history but closely control other firearms.

If we use different language and distinguish between the 3-6 shell capacity sportsman arms and the military weapons available to the public

Blessed are the peacemakers, the poor, the meek and the sick. Message to Repug Fundies: "DO you really wonder "what would Jesus do?" I didn't think so.

by 4CasandChlo on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 07:27:39 AM PST

•  Assault prevention is the broadest (4+ / 0-)

I agree, choosing the connotation will go a Very long way to making progress.    Connotation is not just a play on words.   It is our very heart.

Assault weapon restriction is the narrowest and strongest in the short run.

Assault prevention is the big picture.

Whichever one works first, start there.

•  Whoops, not enough coffee: (3+ / 0-)

Meant that last sentence to end - if we use different language and differentiate between traditional, low chamber sports arms and the assault weapons - our petition will resonate much stronger.

Sorry for the mistake.

by 4CasandChlo on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 07:32:09 AM PST

•  Those terms aren't very good (0+ / 0-)

Mostly because they aren't accurate terms. Assault weapon is a term made up by gun control advocates. Assault rifle, which the term is based on, refers to a fully automatic rifle, something that's already illegal.

A nationwide 30 day waiting period, during which a proper background check is performed, include sales at gun shows. Ban high capacity magazines. If you can't hit your target in 10 shots, you need to work on your aim. Those are a few realistic things that can be done, and are a better place to start, and a lot easier for gun owners to accept than making their guns illegal. A lot of people own AR-15s, popular gun for hunting, target shooting, legitimate uses for a firearm.

Part of this conversation is to convince gun owners of the need for stricter controls. You're not going to do that by treating them like criminals, talking down to them, getting self-righteous about it, or any of the other myriad mistakes gun control advocates have made over the years.

This nation needs a sensible, sane firearms policy, but it's not going to happen if we can't convince anyone.

Sarahpalindrome (n.): A sentence that makes as much sense backwards as forwards.

by Hannibal on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 09:29:26 AM PST

•  Did you even read what I wrote? (2+ / 0-)
        murrayewv, historys mysteries

I specifically said "I am not qualified to come up with proper terms" - I was only throwing out examples of new language different than "gun control" which is politically used up.  Specifically said - I am not qualified.

I specifically said that we should distinguish between that which is commonly used for sport and those high capacity arms that you too referenced.

Nowhere did I say ANYTHING about "which" guns should have tighter controls or what steps to tak, and I sure as hell didn't say that a winning message included criminalizing law abiding people or talking down to them.

You seem to really want to fight about this so I recommend starting with someone that actually believes what you accused me of believing.

by 4CasandChlo on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 10:18:09 AM PST

•  gun safety.....n/t (2+ / 0-)
      CTMET, chicagoblueohio

You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you mad. Aldous Huxley

by murrayewv on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 10:24:35 AM PST

•  Hide your true agenda... (0+ / 0-)

Ahhh yes... The old liberal standby - change the language and/or definitions of words to hide your true agenda...

Life is just one damn thing after another...

by bcronos on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 01:14:38 PM PST

•  you mean Frank Luntz style? (0+ / 0-)

death panels to avoid paying for insurance? death taxes to save the rich form paying inheritance tax?

that kind of  "liberal standby"?

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

by Greg Dworkin on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 01:34:50 PM PST