View Diary: I have been threatened with murder. Updated. (445 comments)

•  Hey, if admins respond... (5+ / 0-)

...I'll be more than happy to delete this diary.

Yes, I often dress as a pirate. Your point?

by theatre goon on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 07:03:07 AM PST

•  Why would you write a diary? (8+ / 0-)

If it was really about the admin, why wouldn't you wait until you heard back?

Instead, you wrote this diary.

This group needs to reflect on whether or not the immediate pro-gun reaction to any sort of gun violence is useful.

It's got to be really difficult to come to ever tragedy with the same talking points.

It's nearly impossible to discuss the issue, unless we see something like this happen.

The gun regulation side of the argument has compromised and compromised.  Yet, it's nearly impossible to have any kind of discussion, because the issue is dogmatically dismissed out of hand with ideas about increasing gun access to people.

We need to be able to have the conversation. . The side that says we are capable of regulating firearms in a reasonable and safe manner has been sitting at the table for a long time.  It just seems like the gun rights side thinks the act of sitting down at the table for a discussion is capitulation to the "gun grabbers."

How long does someone wait at the table for their negotiating partners before they get up and leave to solve the problem without them?

Streichholzschächtelchen

by otto on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 07:09:32 AM PST

•  It was reported. (6+ / 0-)

By more than one person.

Such comments are usually responded to within hours, if not minutes.

Not this one.

That being the case, this seemed the next best way to make this threat of violence, and the support thereof, seen by the community as a whole.

Yes, I often dress as a pirate. Your point?

by theatre goon on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 07:12:33 AM PST

•  What are you saying? (4+ / 0-)

Are you saying that the admin saw the comment, but neglected to do anything about it?

I just can't fathom the reasoning behind this diary.  Every slight I have ever received on this site, on youtube, on the newspaper... they mean nothing when I think about the situation at hand.

Now can we discuss the gun issues?

Seriously, we've compromised so many times on this that it's not even funny.  And even in the face of this tragedy, the absolutist streak in the gun rights movement rejects offers of discussion.

Streichholzschächtelchen

by otto on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 07:19:06 AM PST

•  I don't know. (5+ / 0-)

I don't know if they saw it and didn't care, I don't know if they didn't see it at all.

All I do know is that there was no response from admins, and there was quite a bit of support for a post including this threat:

I want to put a gun to the head of every fucking RKBA asshole on this site." - Winston Sm1th
            That should not be acceptable at this site.

Yes, I often dress as a pirate. Your point?

by theatre goon on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 07:21:04 AM PST

•  I still can't understand it (2+ / 0-)
              poco, lyvwyr101

I've got kids in school, but I didn't even question their safety yesterday.  I know that they are safe in their schools.

I am not going to remind you what happened yesterday.  You already know.

I hide rated the comment.  I didn't even see it yesterday.  I would have hide rated it then, too.

I told that Arunner character that it was lame to say that the RKBA group should be disbanded.  It is stupid to suggest that you should disband. I tell you this so that you are aware of my commitment to a fair conversation.

Right now the conversation is simply not happening.  The NRA and gun lobbyists have worked very hard to prevent it from even happening.

If I'm dealing with car safety and deaths, there is a solution in the design, registration, and licensing of a car.

Regardless of the status of gun ownership in AMerica, we have a gun violence problem.

That means that one part of the solution to gun violence is about the guns themselves, and about the widespread and ready access to them.

It will require a multi pronged approach, but we have no negotiating partners, because the RKBA side of the discussion views the act of having discussion itself as a sign of failure and loss.

I just can't understand this.  Why would someone write a diary like this to complain about an impotent threat in a comment thread given  the events of yesterday?

It's beyond reason.  I hope you guys take a second to consider that.

Streichholzschächtelchen

by otto on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 07:37:23 AM PST

•  Because the comment in question... (6+ / 0-)

...is a flagrant violation of site rules.

The comment in question was absolutely shameful -- it should be hidden, but won't be because of the number of upraters.

The person who made it should be banned -- I've seen both Kos and MB state that threats of violence are the surest way of being booted from this site.

That has not happened.

It should.

Yes, I often dress as a pirate. Your point?

by theatre goon on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 07:43:05 AM PST

•  Problem (3+ / 0-)
                  gooderservice, glorificus, lyvwyr101

This is a problem.

I try to phrase things in a way that I think intelligent adults will understand it.

I need to be more blunt.

I find it extremely distasteful that you would think now is the time for you to start a public discussion about commenting etiquette on Dailykos.

It's like Jay Carney said, "Now isn't the time to discuss internet etiquette, and whether or not the right number of people have disapproved of a stupid comment."

Streichholzschächtelchen

by otto on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 07:55:29 AM PST

•  That's fine. (5+ / 0-)

I understand that you think this is a distasteful time to ask that site rules actually be enforced.

I find it distasteful that you are trying to dismiss an obvious and clear threat of violence in your preference to discuss something else.

We don't have to agree to be able to express our own views.

Yes, I often dress as a pirate. Your point?

by theatre goon on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 08:01:09 AM PST

•  I'm dismissing Iit? (1+ / 0-)
                      lyvwyr101

That's completely untrue, and you know it.

I haven't dismissed it at all.

Wow. I can't believe this.

I have said it is an impotent threat, because I think it's an impotent threat.  That doesn't mean that violent language should be tolerated.

Apparently, the only way I could demonstrate to you that I was sufficiently disappointed would be to what? I can't even figure it out.

What do you need to happen?  If you need the commenter banned, then maybe you need to wait a day longer.  It happened yesterday, you emailed, and now what?

I would have considered my options-

1.  Email admin.  Wait.  If they don't email back, email again. Contact them in the comment threads...  If it works, the commenter will be banned.  I might have to waite a day or two.

2.  Write a diary about an anonymous internet posting about a violent action.  Call out the comment.   It might get him banned.  But it would come at the cost of turning a huge chunk of this site against our group's stated purpose.

Okay?

I would have thought about the benefit of patience and maturity in this moment of tragedy.

I would have thought, "This is not how adults should behave.  We are supposed to be bigger."

Your mission would be served better if you removed the diary.  Sometimes, the act of contrition brings more respect than anything else.

Streichholzschächtelchen

by otto on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 08:13:52 AM PST

•  Threats of violence, in most circumstances,... (9+ / 0-)

...have traditionally netted the user a single warning. A repeat gets them banned.

by Meteor Blades on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 11:47:54 AM PST