View Diary: I have been threatened with murder. Updated. (445 comments)

•  If you really cared (1+ / 0-)
    lyvwyr101

why belong to a group who's primary purpose is to glorify and deify guns?

And contribute to very sick parts of American culture that allow this type of event to take place over and over and over.

Really, RBKA idealogy has no place at a "progressive" website (Yeah, we all know that's not what DailyKos is, but some try  to nudge it in that direction from time to time)

•  I see. (7+ / 0-)

If I disagree with you on this issue, I don't care about dead children... now there's an honest debate technique...

"A lie is not the other side of a story; it's just a lie."

by happy camper on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 08:40:23 AM PST

•  In that case I have no idea how (1+ / 0-)
        lyvwyr101

you live with the cognitive dissonance of simultaneously promoting a culture that repeatedly gives rise to these attrocities while at the same time claiming that you care for the victims.

But being a RBKA'er helps, I suppose.  Another example of strange, strange reasoning is based on this diary that puts forward a huge amount of outrage based on what somebody said they WANT to do (not what they WOULD do) . . . . IOW, there was not even any threat at all put forward.  To me that leap represents a HUGE amount of paranoia on the diarist's part.  Suppose that's why he needs a gun in the first place!

Again, the point being, these examples constitute intriguing psychological phenomena to me.  But I don't suspect that any explanation will be forthcoming.

•  My purpose is to not glorify guns (6+ / 0-)

I just happen to have a different opinion from many liberals about gun control. I believe it helps Republicans get elected and does little to actually stop the criminal use of firearms.

"I'm a progressive man and I like progressive people" Peter Tosh

by Texas Lefty on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 08:45:06 AM PST

•  Then why do you get up in public and (2+ / 0-)
        lyvwyr101, poco

defend them?

Can't you be satisfied with the "religion is like a penis" approach?

•  Because we offer a different perspective (4+ / 0-)

Just as there are people here who are religious and are allowed to offer their opinions. I don't agree with them, as I'm agnostic, but I would defend their right to offer those views.

"I'm a progressive man and I like progressive people" Peter Tosh

by Texas Lefty on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 09:00:03 AM PST

•  But when you do it for no other reason (1+ / 0-)
            lyvwyr101

than to sow seeds of controversy, do you not understand why that pisses people off?

This diary is a prime example of this - if this diarist truly felt like a death threat was levied against him or her, that is an incredibly outlandish interpretation of the comment.  So outlandish as to not be credible.

Thus, the only interpretation was that this is a trolling diary - why the fuck can't the gun nuts just cease and desist from offering the "different perspective" while people are rightly anguished and in mourning?

And IMHO, I have no idea why this "different perspective" is even welcome here, but that's another matter entirely.

Heck, no one is coming to take your freakin' guns away - they're safe - you'll get to keep them for forever - but can't you just go away and play with them in private rathing than sticking them in our faces (getting back to the religion/penis analogy - seriously, no one wants to see that out in the open no matter how proud you are of it and how important it is to you!!).

•  Great comment, RG. (1+ / 0-)
              lyvwyr101

"I believe more women should carry guns. I believe armed women will make the world a better place. Women need to come to think of themselves not as victims but as dangerous." Anna Pigeon

by glorificus on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 09:28:42 AM PST

•  I don't get the cease and desist thing (5+ / 0-)

Or the pissed off thing. Why can only one side of the argument have their say? I've never seen so many gun control diaries on this site and at one point, there were at least 5-6 recommended diaries about gun control. I get it. We are in the minority here.

If people can offer stricter gun regulations as an argument when they are rightly anguished and in mourning, then why can't others offer alternative arguments when they are also rightly anguished and in mourning?

Is there now only one liberal voice on every issue? Should we have a purity test like conservatives and teabaggers? I don't believe so.

"I'm a progressive man and I like progressive people" Peter Tosh

by Texas Lefty on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 09:56:44 AM PST

•  Not surprised that you don't get it (1+ / 0-)
                lyvwyr101

Not at all.

•  Your opinion is not the only opinion (5+ / 0-)

That's not hard to get.  I can respect every opinion on this site, even if I disagree with it.  I wish it was the norm on this site, but it's not. I don't expect them to shut up because I disagree.

"I'm a progressive man and I like progressive people" Peter Tosh

by Texas Lefty on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 10:51:30 AM PST

•  In general when opinions are (0+ / 0-)

offered for no other reason than to be irksome, the person who is offering the opinion IS told to shut up, is ultimately banned, or whatever.  Fairly standard practice round here really.

In any event, I don't get why you even WANT to be here.   Similar to how I just don't get why the LCRs possibly want to be part of the GOP - just to be irksome is my best guess.

•  I have every right to be here. (1+ / 0-)
                      rockhound

I probably support about 99% of what you do politically.  If that 1% irks you, then so be it. I'm not going anywhere and neither is the RKBA group.  The POTUS and Democratic Party platform are more aligned with my position than your position, yet I'm not questioning your reasoning for supporting them.  Just accept the fact that some of us have different opinions than yours and neither of us may be right.

"I'm a progressive man and I like progressive people" Peter Tosh

by Texas Lefty on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 09:50:58 PM PST

•  What other side is there to multiple small (0+ / 0-)

children have

by glorificus on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 05:18:48 PM PST

•  Never mind, I was trying to delete this but (0+ / 0-)

must have hit the wrong keys.

by glorificus on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 05:20:16 PM PST