View Diary: Dear Internet: Please find this couple - FOUND! (33 comments)

•  My anti virus had no problem with it (5+ / 0-)

hmmmm

"The scientific nature of the ordinary man is to go on out and do the best you can." John Prine

by high uintas on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 07:42:28 PM PST

•  I am using Defender Pro. (5+ / 0-)

I do not trust either Norton or McAfee.  Defender is the latest iteration of Black Ice, which is a lot more muscular than either of the two popular ones.

The general who wins the battle makes many calculations in his temple before the battle is fought. The general who loses makes but few calculations beforehand. - Sun Tzu

by Otteray Scribe on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 07:45:49 PM PST

•  I use Avast (8+ / 0-)

and Malwarebytes. And yes, I have my Avast set to talk to me in pirate.

by high uintas on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 08:39:11 PM PST

•  high uintas (1+ / 0-)
          lineatus

Well I`m glad to see our pirate "talk" disseminated into mainstream dialogue.

Hello & stay being Cool.
          Here, an image of our "pirate" security on the bridge of the MV ANSWER taken in 1975.
          You know who I am.

THE ANSWER sc003123d8

THE ANSWER - LARGE sc00095461

I`m already against the next war.

by Knucklehead on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 05:36:41 PM PST

•  What do you think of AVG Free? (3+ / 0-)

Charles insists we use that.

Organ donors save lives! A donor's kidney gave me my life back on 02/18/11; he lives on in me. Please talk with your family about your wish to donate.

Why are war casualty counts "American troops" and "others" but never "human beings"?

by Kitsap River on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 11:57:12 PM PST

•  You get what you pay for. (1+ / 0-)
          lineatus

My trust in freeware is pretty low.  I am not really familiar with AVG so I am not the best person to ask.

by Otteray Scribe on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 04:06:11 AM PST

•  My McAfee lights up like a Christmas (1+ / 0-)
        lineatus

tree quite frequently, though it didn't with this link.

That said, I'm not much of a fan of McAfee, but it comes preloaded on all Dells and I have read that it's nearly impossible to get rid of it. Plus, there seems to be lots of "baggage" software included with computers when you buy them all put together (as opposed to self-built ones, I mean). You certainly can't request it be left off when you buy one from Dell.

I'm always interested in better security software, but am not very computer literate. Do you know if installing another program, such as Defender Pro, bogs everything down because there is more than one security program running?

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. -- John Kenneth Galbraith

by scarlet slipper on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 01:13:11 PM PST