View Diary: TTFN. Catch you later. (180 comments)

•  Expertise? Try human decency. (16+ / 0-)

People are speaking to people as if they haven't experienced their own, real-life experiences.

And they are speaking from their lofty, intellectual positions most of the time, their pre-conceived notions of how people should respond based on some one-sized-fits-all notion of what people go through.

It's really sad because it shows a callous lack of empathy about what other people, like Kitsap River, have gone through completely, and no attempt to better understand this without FIRST condemning her choices and branding her falsely as some sort of masturbatory, hyper-reactive, gun-toting Lucrezia Borgia or something.

And she's not the only one.

For women who have been assaulted or abused, being placed in the same category of subhuman psycho as someone like Adam Lanza is literally sick and shows nothing more than intellectually dishonest and rigid pedantry which also doesn't give a shit if it hurts those women.

I am calling it out as "outrageous behavior" which I refuse to accept without saying something. Anyone who has an issue with women who have been abused, sexually or physically, need to do some serious soul-searching.

Click the ♥ to join us on the Black Kos front porch to review news & views written from a black pov - everyone is welcome.

by mahakali overdrive on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 09:24:13 AM PST

•  There is clearly a misogyny aspect to this (3+ / 0-)

Like what I experienced at Phanryngula yesterday. Do you really think I would have experienced that kind of venom if I posted as, say Markpoa? Let's not kid ourselves; there's a whole lotta "you-don't-know-what-you're-talking-about-so-shut-up-and-let-the-men-talk" to this.

"Given the choice between a Republican and someone who acts like a Republican, people will vote for a real Republican every time." Harry Truman

by MargaretPOA on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 09:57:02 AM PST

•  I'm responding to the previous comment (2+ / 0-)
      emelyn, MRA NY

in which the complaint was made that people are talking w/o expertise.

Perhaps I am wrong to comment in this diary, since I don't know what the diarist had to deal with, but I don't agree with the argument made by the previous commenter.

People are free to talk w/o expertise. This is a great time for experts to share their knowledge. But all too often we get "you don't know about guns. this is very complicated. hush now."

that is irritating.

An ambulance can only go so fast - Neil Young

by mightymouse on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 10:36:08 AM PST

•  and assault can be verbal, as well. (4+ / 0-)

your first sentence explains a whole lot of what is happening around here of late.

i, too, had someone tell me that i had not experienced certain events in my life - that it was just "emotional memory".  those amazing statements came from someone significantly younger than the incident i was discussing - who based an opinion on material she had read 40 years after the incident (instead of having lived as an adult at the time of the situation).

there appears to be a need to find validation on an anonymous blog by "knowing" more than others, for what ever reason.

after that amazing discussion, i am now not going to engage in discussions where people behave in such a manner.  it doesn't pay to give attention to those who are not interested in sharing experiences that beget knowledge.  nor does it pay to feed the egos of those not interested in solutions to problems!

it is up to all of us to temper our words and reactions when we are posting - the cancel button has been my "friend" for a very long time - i hope more here will consider using it (even if it is to ignore those trying to inflame the discussions).

•  Oh for heavens sake (1+ / 0-)
        Charles CurtisStanley

This is not the time or place to bring up site disagreements that have nothing to do with what KR went through.

You had a garden variety tiff with me and you're now bringing it up when it has no bearing on the topic. It was just an argument between two people, nothing more than that, but you're trying to equate it with a personal attack resonating with memories of a previous assault and rape?

Why drag this into KR's diary and make it about you? Please stop for HER sake.  Please! If you must discuss it, choose somewhere else and I'll meet you there.  I suggest for the sake of Kitsap River and all the others dealing with unpleasant discussion, you are better off putting it behind you.

Kitsap, stay safe. I apologize from the bottom of my heart that this silliness got dragged into your TTFN.

•  ugh (1+ / 0-)
      Tonedevil

You are calling someone who may be bipolar a subhuman psycho and it gets recs.
      These kinds of ugly  remarks about mental illness on a liberal blog are seriously ignorant and effed up.
      You are outraged in your comment about basic decency then wrote crap like this.
      The stigma of mental illness in this country is horrific enough.
      And you take about lack of empathy?
      Do you hear yourself?

We consume the carcasses of creatures of like appetites, passions and organs with our own, and fill the slaughterhouses daily with screams of pain and fear. Robert Louis Stevenson

by Christin on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 11:27:48 AM PST

•  Who is bipolar? (3+ / 0-)

My comment refers to Kitsap River being compared with Adam Lanza, who had a personality disorder but my contention with him is that he is a mass murderer. Her husband rec'd the comment, so presumably I didn't hit a nerve. I called Adam Lanza a "subhuman psycho" because I'm not really his BFF today, sorry. The guy just murdered a truckload of six years olds, and I have very little empathy for a person like that.

Psychopath. Yes. Lanza is very much a psychopath in the common parlance.

I think I'm in fine company with not having any empathy for the guy on that count, but if you can find it in your heart to feel that we should speak more respectfully about him, that's your prerogative. I think what happened to him is tragic, but I continue to be more concerned with the children and teachers he killed than him.

by mahakali overdrive on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 11:47:39 AM PST

•  noted (1+ / 0-)
          ZhenRen

Those suffering from the living he'll of being schizophrenic are sub human monsters according to you and you double down on your ignorance. How ugly, coming from a "liberal". Fyi, the acts he committed were evil, he  wasnot. He was sick.  I have sympathy  and empathy for everyone....you choose the  obvious.. don't even co e back with more of this tripe as we are done.

by Christin on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 02:36:33 PM PST

•  I disagree.. (2+ / 0-)

I don't think Mahakali Overdrive was stigmatizing or being insensitive to people struggling with mental health issues...

I agree there's lots of stigma, but disagree that MO was or would ever show it..

As a member of Courtesy Kos, I am dedicated to civility and respect for all kossacks, regardless of their opinions, affiliations, or cliques.

by joedemocrat on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 01:17:04 PM PST

•  please (0+ / 0-)

She has sympathy for those suffering with mental health issues calling them sub human monsters. Just stop.

by Christin on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 02:38:03 PM PST

•  AMEN sister! (5+ / 0-)

You see right away that these assholes are all about their egos - no real empathy, just taking advantage of an opportunity to show off their so-called knowledge or opinions.

It's bullshit. About them their ego above all else, and they spare nobody.

Helping a food pantry on the Cheyenne River Reservation,Okiciyap." >www.okiciyap.yolasite.com<"

by betson08 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 11:58:10 AM PST