Skip to main content

View Diary: Dianne Feinstein To Introduce Assault Weapons Ban On First Day Of Congress (307 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  Presumably the majority (0+ / 0-)

    of drunk driving accidents are caused by people who are licensed, registered and insured--or were at some point. It matters not a whit if 98% of the time you drive safely and legally if the other 2% of the time you're stone drunk. And drunk people without licenses, registration or insurance can still drive a car and hurt people. So no, I don't think this is a poor analogy. Driving while drunk is effectively like owning an assault weapon--there is absolutely no reason for most people to be allowed to do it, even if you also usually drive not drunk and own non-assault weapons. It's not the person, it's the THING.

    "Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

    by kovie on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 10:34:21 AM PST

    [ Parent ]

    •  Agree to disagree.(?) (0+ / 0-)

      In the broad sense, yes, a vehicle can be a weapon.  However we as a society have passed laws and taken steps to try and mitigate the issue.  

      Is there a larger discussion to be had re. the availability, abuse of, and marketing/lobbying of alcohol in this country, absolutely.  But it has no bearing on the issue at hand - Mass killings involving Semi-Automatic Assault style weapons.  Of which we have had 2x more this year than any previous year (since Colombine).

      Assault Weapons are a problem as they are designed for one purpose and one purpose alone.  Killing people (some will try to argue hunting/animals, but Hunting Rifles and Shotguns are much better for those purposes).

      What I'm getting from you is:

      - You're against gun owners taking even a little bit more responsibility.  
      - You're against using the same basic standards for vehicle usage as gun usage.

      If that is the case, then no point in further discussion.

      •  Not at all (0+ / 0-)

        And please don't put words in my mouth. Proposing solution A to a problem without mentioned solution B doesn't mean that one is also against solution B. I am for regulating the possession of certain kinds of firearms AND making it harder to possess lawful firearms. Just as I am against letting people drive w/o licenses, registration or insurance AND driving drunk.

        Not sure where you're getting this disconnect from.

        "Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

        by kovie on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 12:22:02 PM PST

        [ Parent ]

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site