View Diary: "Take That N!gger Off the TV, We Wanna Watch Football!" (462 comments)

•  Perhaps in addition to removing (7+ / 0-)

the president from Sunday-night television, we should petition to have football removed entirely?

It's an extremely violent "game," and surely it contributes to the culture of violence in this country. It certainly seems to contribute to the stupid.

The truth is rarely pure and never simple. -- Oscar Wilde

by Mnemosyne on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 08:48:59 PM PST

•  Who are you, Brent Bozell from the PTC? (3+ / 0-)
      DanceHallKing, Chitown Kev, raincrow

If you don't like something on TV, turn it off.

•  Football causes brain damage, too (10+ / 0-)

This is more evidence.

Others have simply gotten old. I prefer to think I've been tempered by time.

by Just Bob on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 08:57:18 PM PST

•  I hate football, (1+ / 0-)
      blueoasis

and I think most football players are moronic neckless meatheads and the lion's share of the most hardcore fans are loud and stupid.

That said, as much as I don't want it on TV because it's boring, my only real ethical problem with football is the misogyny, not the violence.

I don't have problem with martial arts tournaments either (which I respect far more than football or similiar games). There is nothing wrong with humans battling in sport.

We're not talking to-the-death gladitorial battles here, or something equally barbariac. It's dangerous, but so are a lot of hobbies humans engage in.

People can do whatever they want. And people can watch it if they want.

But yeah, agreed on the contribute to the stupid.

•  Misogyny and violence, (3+ / 0-)
        DSPS owl, shaharazade, Prinny Squad

there's frequently a direct connection.

The truth is rarely pure and never simple. -- Oscar Wilde

by Mnemosyne on Mon Dec 17, 2012 at 06:33:15 AM PST

•  Keeping in mind the context of the patriarchy, (1+ / 0-)
          SilentBrook

yes, that's correct.

The patriarchy is why a lot of the more violent crimes are committed by men. The "be a man," "be tough" bullshit pushed on little boys.

There is a seriously outdated and overly violent cultural echo that still haunts young males growing up today, and further creates the faux cultural gender divide that is a human societal (not a biological) creation. It's the same echo that nudges young females into being weak and submissive.

But it's getting better.

Humans don't accept change readily, but it's something we all have to work on. Showing young women they can embrace their strength and push to get what they want and have earned, teaching young men that it's perfectly fine to show true feelings and embrace empathy.

And while we can blame football for helping to keep that harmful divide strong (boys play football, girls can only watch from the sidelines), I don't think there is any evidence to blame it for "increasing the culture of violence" as a whole.

I don't think the existence and popularity of football is a net plus for society, but I don't think it's fair to blame it for this. It just sounds like scapegoating, and as much as I hate football, I don't want people to scapegoat the things I love either just because its convenient.

•  I have to draw a distinction between (0+ / 0-)

football played as an after-school sport and football conducted as a business structured as a tax-shelter corporation employing large numbers of overly-muscled millionaires on steroids who attempt to kill one another on the field, and sometimes succeed at it.

But yes, change comes slowly. Occasionally, something happens that causes more rapid shifts.

The truth is rarely pure and never simple. -- Oscar Wilde

by Mnemosyne on Mon Dec 17, 2012 at 10:46:34 AM PST

•  You didn't play football in my 'hood (0+ / 0-)

Girls were not weak and submissive, and did not watch from the sidelines. We kicked ass and had a great time doing it until puberty beefed up the boys so much that we were far too overmatched.

YES WE DID -- AGAIN. FOUR MORE YEARS.

by raincrow on Mon Dec 17, 2012 at 02:14:50 PM PST

•  And on what data do you base your judgments? (0+ / 0-)
        That's some pretty hefty bigot-speak.

YES WE DID -- AGAIN. FOUR MORE YEARS.

by raincrow on Mon Dec 17, 2012 at 02:07:31 PM PST